MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-12, 14:32
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default New tough Victorian roadworthy rules

This may note be the correct forum, but it does relate to restoring

I've just been informed of the latest Victorian roadworthy regulations .

You wont believe this .

The licensed tester has to take many detailed photographs of the vehicle before and after the test . The pics are then submitted to Vicroads .

Each testing staion now has to have the equipment to process all this stuff .Camera and computer ...

The VIN number has to be photographed ,any faults etc. It has to be stored for 7 years apparently

The cost to the car owner goes up heaps to pay for this beaurocratic nightmare .

Some body pointed out: what happens if the computer crashes ....?

This is going to force many older cars off the road... the process of obtaining a roadworthy for transfer of ownership will be a nightmare . Instead , the cars will be scrapped - I think thats what the RTA wants .

The next thing will be . The CH club rego system will now come under huge pressure as you dont need a formal roadworthy at the moment in order to get your vehicle on the road
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 07-07-12, 02:49
Tim

Default Roadworthys

Hi Mike

As a tester it is now a night mare.. We also have to have all the images stored off site as well.. So I have then on my work computer, which is also backed up to a server, a Memory stick aswell as the camera has a massive memory card so they are on there to..

Trying to photograph the vin numbers on some of the motor cycles is nearly imposible and as for even reading some engine numbers you nearly need to remove the motor to do so...

We added $50.00 to the cost just to cover the extra storage and paperwork involved.

For cars & trucks there have to be photos of the vehicles on hoists with there wheels removed to prove that you have looked at brakes etc..

I am quite happy we only do bikes.

Tim
Old 07-07-12, 13:04
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Quote:
This is going to force many older cars off the road... the process of obtaining a roadworthy for transfer of ownership will be a nightmare . Instead , the cars will be scrapped - I think thats what the RTA wants .
I hope not Mike.

What i find amazing, but am realising as i grow up and remember more and more, stupid decisions are only regretted by government long after they happen and cant be reversed.

I am not sure if your clubs down in Vic participated in some of the recent (past few years) surveys about the value collector car movements bring to the state/country, but it was well into the hundreds of millions and millions when you consider everything- travel (meetings, swaps, events etc), tourism income and all that encompasses, memberships and magazines etc, servicing, parts, fuel etc etc- EVERYTHING we spend money on was asked about. Not to mention the money that is paid out to the various RTA (or RMS- roads and maritime services now in NSW)- my jeep cost $54 on historical rego for 2012/2013. Multiply that by the thousands and thousands of vehicles in the state which can be put off the road and thats a decent chunk out of the state coffers. Someone who makes the decisions doesnt seem to realise all of this... our state and national representatives need to keep pushing it on them i feel.

Again, i hope it doesnt put vehicles off the road as one day, when they eventually figure out what happened, it will be too late and a small note in the paper one day will read that they realised they made a mistake all those years ago.

Cheers,
Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 08-07-12, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
The next thing will be . The CH club rego system will now come under huge pressure as you dont need a formal roadworthy at the moment in order to get your vehicle on the road

Let's hope not Mike! Personally I don't think so somehow. There's no doubt governments want to get old cars off the road (eg. Cash for Clunkers) but it would be virtually impossible for them to implement a RWC regime for vintage cars, which by definition cannot be made roadworthy to modern standards.

Also I think there's a general recognition, even amongst bureaucrats, that vintage/veteran/historic vehicles are in a different category from old unroadworthy cars, which they consider to be a danger on the road. In terms of road toll contribution, I suspect club permit vehicles would be virtually zero.

Then there's the economic/social/cultural/tourism contribution these vehicles make, which the bureaucrats would find hard to ignore. For example, they'd face considerable backlash if they tried to put vehicles off the road which participate in Anzac day parades all around Australia.

In my observation governments generally try to soften up the public before they pass draconian laws. They've managed to demonize old unroadworthy cars, but I reckon they'd struggle to demonize vintage cars. If anything they seem to have liberalized the club permit system in Vic recently, ie. "Under the new conditions of use, permit holders are no longer restricted to club sanctioned activities when using their vehicles."

I suspect their main concern is to cover their own arses, eg. "Clubs are required to sign an agreement with VicRoads that they meet certain obligations..."

Mind you, it would only take a few nasty accidents to whip up a media storm and put the heat on club permits.
Old 12-07-12, 12:54
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Aomc

For those interested . The Victorian car club association web site

http://www.aomc.asn.au/
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 12-07-12, 13:21

Default Paranoia

Mike what are you trying to do? We have a very good club permit scheme in Victoria. 45 and 90 day permits. Better than any previous schemes we have ever had. The roadworthy requirements are designed to get the shitheaps off the road. i.e. the modern rust buckets and bombs owned by people who could not give a shit about what they drive or how it mght impact on other road users. I have friends in the trade doing roadworthys. they have to cop the extra baggage but as Tim Scivens says they will pass on the costs Big deal, welcome to Carbon Tax Havana! (Similar not the same). The old motoring hobby will not be impacted. We are too small in the big scope of motoring things. Studies have shown that roadworthiness of vehicles actually plays a very tiny part inroad crashes. One of the reasons that compulsory roadworthy testing on a yearly basis has not been introduced inVictoria. Aside from the corruption that it would obviously introduce.
Vic Roads is nothing more than another tax collection body. The extra crap surrounding roadworthy testing isjust justifying the costs involved. Take a pill and chill out. It won't affect you. Or us.
Old 12-07-12, 14:25
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack neville View Post
Mike what are you trying to do? We have a very good club permit scheme in Victoria. 45 and 90 day permits. Better than any previous schemes we have ever had. The roadworthy requirements are designed to get the shitheaps off the road. i.e. the modern rust buckets and bombs owned by people who could not give a shit about what they drive or how it mght impact on other road users. I have friends in the trade doing roadworthys. they have to cop the extra baggage but as Tim Scivens says they will pass on the costs Big deal, welcome to Carbon Tax Havana! (Similar not the same). The old motoring hobby will not be impacted. We are too small in the big scope of motoring things. Studies have shown that roadworthiness of vehicles actually plays a very tiny part inroad crashes. One of the reasons that compulsory roadworthy testing on a yearly basis has not been introduced inVictoria. Aside from the corruption that it would obviously introduce.
Vic Roads is nothing more than another tax collection body. The extra crap surrounding roadworthy testing isjust justifying the costs involved. Take a pill and chill out. It won't affect you. Or us.
I'm just a tad worried that people will buy old worn out clunkers and get reg. on the CH scheme . It could happen .

You have to admit that some of the clubs don't have a strict srutineering policy , despite what the rules say. Some of the clubs are quite small and the inspectors can be unqualified anybodies eg joe blow's uncle , as long as he's a club member he can pass a vehicle as roadworthy .

Each club will interpret the rules differently . I think some clubs have a inspection day , when members bring their vehicles along for inspection .

A local here recieved a letter from his club ( a local truck club ) stating that tyres over 10 years old are not legal and any trucks will be disqualified from club reg if any tyres are over 10 years old . This is a case of a club enforcing the rules to the letter of the law , but many don't . MIKE
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 12-07-12, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianaa View Post
there were a few public servants who started getting sky rockets from the minister for absurd requirements enacted by the RMS (RTA), like requiring a restoration of a 1920 vintage vehicle with hand made body being required to have ABS and air bags and comply with 2011 ADR, brake tests that required the vehicle to stop from 120KPH.
Bureaucrats would be hiliarious if they weren't so damned scary.
Old 12-07-12, 17:03

Mike I don't know whereyou get you information from. Which clubs don't have strict scrutineering specifically? Certainly not the VMVC. Ask Euan McDonald if he will certify junk? And club vehicles need only be safeworthy, not roadworthy. As for buying old clunkers isn't that what we all have done. Keep things in perspective. And you can't interpret rules differently. A rule is a rule and that is what it is. It can have different interpretations but common sense is required. As for tyres over 10 years old, what a load of garbage. What law does that infringe upon? A tyre is roadworthy as long as it is roadworthy regardless of age. You are pedalling a load of hysteria here Micheal for no good or valid reason. If you have real concerns, not hearesay crap, take them up with people who can give you legitmate answers and stop causing angst amongst readers who may take this gossip as genuine fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
I'm just a tad worried that people will buy old wornout clunkers and get reg. on the CH scheme . It could happen .

You have to admit that some of the clubs don't have a strict srutineering policy , despite what the rules say. Some of the clubs are quite small and the inspectors can be unqualified anybodies eg joe blow's uncle , as long as he's a club member he can pass a vehicle as roadworthy .

Each club will interpret the rules differently . I think some clubs have a inspection day , when members bring their vehicles along for inspection .

A local here recieved a letter from his club ( a local truck club ) stating that tyres over 10 years old are not legal and any trucks will be disqualified from club reg if any tyres are over 10 years old . This is a case of a club enforcing the rules to the letter of the law , but many don't . MIKE

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 12-07-12 at 23:27. Reason: Formatting
Old 14-07-12, 11:58

What Mike is saying is quite reasonable Jack. It is not hysteria it is genuine concern at what is happening all around us and his warning does not deserve your aggressive response. The bureaucracy is getting ever more stifling and Vicroads is a bureaucracy as focused on regulation as it may be on taxation. Otherwise they would not bother regulating and just put their charges up.

You ridicule the idea that tyres would or could ever be lifed but this idea has been seriously discussed and legislation formulated if not adopted in the UK and Europe and what happens there is often followed up here. This was reported on in the MVT journal Windscreen some years ago.Richard Farrant would no doubt know more about it.

'The price of freedom is eternal vigilance' as the Americans say and the dogs are barking. You want facts Jack? The fact is that we are vastly more regulated than we were even twenty years ago and the process is not going to stop of its own accord so don't be so dismissive of the warning.

David
Old 14-07-12, 14:00

Dave, What I prefer to do is stick with the facts and not worry about hysteria. The fact is tyres are not illegal in Victoria because of age. Only condition. That is a fact. Yes regulations have changed a lot over the years. But are we over regulated in all areas? Compare the club permit scheme of today. Any Left hand vehicles now ok. More suitable permit scheme with 45 and 90 days. Safe worthy over full roadworthy. When you want to register a vehicle you don't even have to present the vehicle. Compare that legislation to twenty years.
The firearms act whilst taking alot of firearms from people who didnt really need them now actually caters for re-enactors to have greater range of weapons than ever, whether genuine or replica. The Geelong group had a welded up Vickers which they could only display as a static weapon. The reclassifaction of licence categories now allows them to have it as a fully operational blank firing weapon. They have a mortar that firees dummy rounds, a blank firing 25 ponder and dummy firing rocket weapons. Quite a few members now have fully operational blank firing automatic weapons. All not possibe a few years ago. much of this legislation advantage came about because Robin Mawson took on the legislators at the draft proposal stage and pushed the re-enactors case to get what the hobby needed. The Liquor licensing laws in Victoria (whether you imbibe or not is irrelevant) allow you to get a drink 24 hours a day and bottles shops open twice as long as they do.

I apologise if i have sounded aggressive but I prefer to deal in facts not paranoia and hysteria.