MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 18-12-20, 04:31

Default Speedometer cable

Has anybody ever sorted out modern part numbers for Speedometer cables? I'm interested in one for the Chevrolet with round gauges.
Old 18-12-20, 23:11
VMVC

Default Speedometer Cables- Chev CMP

Hi Harry,

I cannot help you with Chev part numbers for the cables but you may have some luck with Record Technologies in Calgary.

When I was chasing up a Ford CMP speedometer cable I was contacting them about making one up for me. I wound up shortening mine so I never proceeded with it.

You can download their catalogue and find lots of good information on end nuts, ferrules, and types and size of shafting and casings available. If you can pick out what you need and give them dimensions they can make it up for you.

For Ford speedometer cables, as I covered in my posts on the speedometer cable, they are unique to the Ford CMP's so there is no standard Ford part for them so fabrication is the only way to go or find new old stock.

Hope this is of some help.

Jacques Reed
Old 19-12-20, 05:27

Default Wild suggestion.......

Hi Harry

You are on the coast and boats, particularly older ones being refitted have mechanical tachometer and each boat requires a different size cable drive.
I would shop around for boat restorers and the guy you find will be older than you.

I had a Chev T case driving a GMC speedo and the fittings of GMC and Chevy are not the same. Tracked down a retired instrument repair person who had retired but still did special orders, in particular for older boats, all his equipment were contained in one large spare bedroom. Walls were lined with cabinets containing odd spare parts. I was offered a choice of rubber encased waterproof casing or bare metal. Cost me less than a $100 BUT took me two hours to find his place in the country. Not sure if he is still alive but definitely not online.

See you on the docks.

Bob C
Canada
Old 19-12-20, 19:58

Both ATP and Raybestos have a whole catalogue of different speedo cables listed, i woulkd think it would need somebody knowledgable to mate up the right part number/style of ends.
Sorting out cables I've tucked away I have found the chevy one I needed.
Old 21-12-20, 23:08

Default supplier

probably have them but which one.

http://atpautomotive.com/cables?subcategory=713
Old 22-12-20, 00:03
VMVC

Default Speedometer Cables- Chev CMP

Hi Harry,

This might help:

My Ford F-15A has a Waltham round gauge speedo with 5/8-18 UNEF male end so that end of the cable needs a 5/8-18 UNEF female nut.
If Ford and Chev transfer cases use the same speedo driven gear connection that end is 7/8-18 male threads. Almost certain the Ford and Chev single speed xfer cases are the same so hope that applies to the two speed cases. So the transfer case end of the cable needs to be a 7/8-18 female nut.

The transfer case inner cable end has a 0.203" diameter tang tip and the speedo end has a 0.104" square end about 1" long to go into the speedometer.

My inner cable is 85" long as per Hanno's info. Length isn't critical as long as the difference between the inner cable and outer casing is 24mm to 32 mm longer. I would go for 32mm longer and cut off a bit of the square end if required.

To do it again I would add about 4-6 inches to the overall length to make bigger radius bends in the cable.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 22-12-20, 01:00

Default Thanks Jauque

all good info.