MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > Canadian Military Vehicle Organisations > Ontario Military Vehicle Association News

Notices

Old 02-03-06, 18:01
T-16, C15A

Default Summer Show

I was wondering if anyone is making plans for the OMVA summer show? Will this be held at the Hamilton airport?

What can local members do to help?

Stewart
Old 02-03-06, 22:36

Default Summer Show

Thanks for asking Stewart. We aren't keeping anything secret but haven't yet firmed up a date. For years I have been told "No problem at Hamilton..I spoke to people..Thay want us there!"
Wrong boys. I personally talked to the organizer after not getting E mails and phone calls returned. They are NOT interested and she made it clear to me. Frank Moore and I have been trying to firm up July 15th but I haven't heard back yet. We will need volunteers to help with set up etc. so your offer is much appreciated. When this date is secure a summary will be posted giving the remainig two OMVA sponsored shows this year and OMVA area reps shows or parades (ie the CNE).
Please be patient.
Old 03-03-06, 02:01

Hi Pete
I am not surprised at the lack of interest at the Hamilton Air Show. Years an years ago Service Rifle put on some excellent displays for them. As you well know SSRA does these displays in a very professional manner and we were well recieved by the public. The organizers showed a complete lack of interest and we finally gave up on them. Seems to be the same situation all these years later.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 03-03-06, 13:14
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Summer Show

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
I was wondering if anyone is making plans for the OMVA summer show? Will this be held at the Hamilton airport?

What can local members do to help?

Stewart
Stew....
Don't book the OMVA do to conflict with the CC-5 weekend the end of June...
I'm looking for 4 crew slots on the carrier again this year and will bring the liquid mechanic for the air locking fuel pump,,,,
This year Baker rides in the Back or brings his own carrier...
The dude is too big to be standing up front..Makes a better door than a window...
Old 03-03-06, 14:09

Default Stewart's Carrier

Stewart. Did you ever change the pushrod on your fuel pump???
I had a similar problem with mine and put in a new push rod.
Worked like a charm.
Damn .... tripped over that pesky 3"mortar again.
Old 03-03-06, 14:55
T-16, C15A

Default Patient ?

Peter,

It sounds like I better get over and tidy up a bit, else you trip and hurt yourself. If you are going to put a new roof on this summer, you will need to be in top form!

I spoke to my doctor and he said that I was the best patient he had, so I will wait for more information on the summer show. I have been shut out of volunteering for the Osahwa show based on geography, but thought that I might be able to help out with the show if it were closer.

Please keep me in mind as the situations develop ...

Fuel problems. I attribute the fuel problems to a very hot day and a heavy load. A rerouted fuel line with insulation from the exhaust went a long way to solving the problem. Alex and his ice cream cones are not helping with my weight issues, but I hope for the best. I have never subscribed to the 'scrap of cigarette paper under the pushrod to suck just a little harder at the fuel tank' theory. The early Carrier killed 3 electric fuel pumps ( by deadheading them, I believe ) in rapid succession. I returned to a mechanical pump and the problems stopped. I never even inspected the fuel rod on that engine.

Do you ever get to that militaria show in Etobicoke? I plan to get out of Woodstock on Saturday 25Mar to see a bit of the world - perhaps we could meet and I could buy you lunch? I am bringing the truck ( to retrieve some booty from Ottawa's Bob Carriere ) and have some spare room for pesky item removal.

Stewart
Old 03-03-06, 23:31

Default Stuff

Nope...I've done my last roof. I buy them now.
Really...try the push rod. I'll buy you one if you'll install it.
It really was the answer for my carrier fuel problems.
The Etobicoke Show is on March 25 and you are required to be there. Not at 0615 but maybe 0730 or so. Runs til everyone starts sneaking out. Kinda like our show. If you ever need a special part for your hull let me know. My friend has two up north with no engines, one gone (his uncle sold the engine when he was on holidays) and the other has a rod gone. He says he is going to to restore one (yuk yuk) (he's 71). I humour him. He puts up with me.
Old 04-03-06, 14:40
T-16, C15A

Default Official Representative?

Quote:
Originally posted by peter simundson
The Etobicoke Show is on March 25 and you are required to be there. Not at 0615 but maybe 0730 or so. Runs til everyone starts sneaking out. Kinda like our show.
Peter,

Do I get to sit at the table as a poster boy for what happens to people who restore old military vehicles?

If you think that will help the hobby, I shall be there at the appointed hour.

Stewart

:idea: Where do I get the pass to get in that early?
Old 08-03-06, 03:58

Default Clarification please....

Stewart

Is the proposed July 15th OMVA replacing the flea market of late May usually in Uhsnawa????

See ya on the 25th......

Bob
Canada
Old 08-03-06, 04:19

Default Summer Show

This date or place is not cast in stone. It is still being negotiated.
The original intent was to move to a change in venue, not permanently, but for one year, because members thought it would be about time. This didn't pan out, in fact Hamilton didn't even return calls. Oshawa advised me tonite that the termsof using their facility involve a much greater commitment of labour and perhaps table rental in addition to toilet rental and a piece of the cheese. I will continue conversing with them and begin looking at an alternate site as backup.
All the Club members have a right to know what's happening so here's the facts.
Old 08-03-06, 04:30

Default Thanks Peter....

I have always enjoyed Oshawa both for the vendors available and for the old faces to see......(sitting in the beer tent). I have never been there without leaving some $$$ behind....... although I will denie that if repeated in front of my wife.

Please keep us (strangers from Ottawa) posted.... would hate to have Rob Clarke and myself show up with a bag of Money and no takers.....hahaha

Bob
Canada
Old 08-03-06, 04:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

That's all right, Bob, no worries. I'll relieve you of your cash anytime it gets too heavy for you....
Old 09-03-06, 03:18
RIP

Default Summer show

I would like to see a summer show in Oshawa this year even if it was not an OMVA event
Old 22-03-06, 02:25

Default Might I humbly suggest....

I know it's a bit off the beaten path for most everybody....

But I know the Russell Group airshow in the middle of June is always looking for new and interesting things to do there, it's the second year they are running the show, so they might be interested in a combination of events to further advertise what they do....

Last year they had a modest showing of MVs from the local area, plus getting to see the flying Spit, Hurri and Messerschmidt, and we had a great time last year, so there is my humble suggestion...

...and one of these days I might actually get around to joining OMVA...

If interested I can ask around to see who the contact person should be to set up an OMVA presence there....

Tim
Old 22-03-06, 03:24

Default Russel Show

Before you get to deep they turned us down on a previous try.
Old 22-03-06, 12:10
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Yeah... as much as I like old aeroplanes, I don't want to go someplace where WE'RE not welcome.

What we need for this summer is somplace like John Adamiak's, perhaps north or west of Toronto to balance CC5 and Coe Hill for travelling purposes. My old farm in Gormley would have been ideal, but it's now a subdivision...
Old 22-03-06, 15:10
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Hard to believe , but I hear it all the time. Certain groups complain constantly about wanting new ideas, imput or activities to improve their shows, but then when they get offers it gets refused. I think that many of the different groups should try to work together instead of competing, although personal issues and over sized egos get in the way everytime. No, I'm not pointing fingers. I just see it as a shame. From what I understand, the airplane guys bitch about lack of support, funding etc with regards to their shows and then turn us away when offered something new. Their loss I suppose.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers