MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 13-07-19, 00:51

Default Ford V8 water pump rebuild kits

Chaps,

Any leads on the original twin pulley water pump kits?

Macs have discontinued them I can only find kits for the car (single pulley) type.

Mike Davidson sells new pumps in South Aust, but I would like to fix the originals.

Any leads??
Old 13-07-19, 06:28

Default water pumps Ford V8

Hi; The early Ford V8 club gets rebuilt pumps from Daryl Fryer in Redlands, CA no internet old style phone only 909 335 1418 Newc in Oregon
Old 13-07-19, 13:00

Default Water Pump kits.

Over here I got some from O'Neill about seven years ago and have had no problems with then, if that helps. https://www.oneillvintageford.co.uk

Cheers Stephen
Old 13-07-19, 23:18

Default Ford V8 double pulley water pump kits

I believe Ross Prince in Hervey Bay still has them available. I am sure someone here knows his contact details as he has been around for 30 odd years.
Old 14-07-19, 01:37

Default Thank you

Thanks, Dave, Stephen and Don for the replies,

Ill do some investigating with those leads.
Old 14-07-19, 04:04
carrier mech

The single pulley reproduction pumps are relatively inexpensive, and feature the bearing on the shaft and modern seal. I have wondered if it would be possible to make up new pulleys to install in place of the single pulleys, or even if the double pulleys would press onto the repro waterpumps.
Old 14-07-19, 12:59
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
I believe Ross Prince in Hervey Bay still has them available. I am sure someone here knows his contact details as he has been around for 30 odd years.
He can be contacted on MLU as member "Lendlease".
Old 14-07-19, 13:42
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
He can be contacted on MLU as member "Lendlease".
That's correct, see his member profile here: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/member.php?u=900
Old 09-11-19, 19:45

Default Water pump rebuild kits

Having just got my Carrier radiator rebuilt (on my first run with the engine covers off it practically gave my passengers a shower!) and pulled the engine out to change the gear linkage, I've noticed that the water pumps are leaking. Whilst the engine is out it would seem the best time to sort them out.

Does anyone know of a source, ideally in the UK, for repair kits for the correct twin pulley water pumps? O'Neil vintage ford stock repair kits, but don't have the twin pulley truck kits, which I presume is needed for the Carrier.

Many thanks,

Tom
Old 09-11-19, 22:30
carrier mech

Mac's had those kits forever, but don't list them anymore. Personally, when the time comes that I need another pair, I will be buying a pair of the newer single pulley units that are done in the modern style, and making new pulleys for them.
Old 10-11-19, 13:03

Thanks Rob, how would you go about converting the newer type of pump? I take it the pulleys aren’t interchangeable?
Old 10-11-19, 14:40

Default Newer Ford water pumps

A good friend has a 1940 Ford sedan with a 221 engine. He purchased the new reproduction water pumps that use a more modern seal and bearing instead of the bronze bushing in the stock pumps. I did note that the shaft size in the original pumps are 1/2” and the new pumps appear to be 5/8”. You could probably bore the original double pulley to fit the reproduction pump.
Old 10-11-19, 15:22

Thanks Paul, that’s very helpful information. I think I’ll get the pumps off the engine and start measuring up.
Old 19-11-19, 03:48

Default Ford water pump kit on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-1948-F.../153726647696?
Canada
Old 19-11-19, 05:34
carrier mech

Those are for the single pulley. They are the old style with the bronze bushing. That means you cannot tighten your belts like you would on a normal water pump or you will burn out those bushings. Personally, I would buy the new pumps before I ever installed one of those old type kits into an old pump.
Old 19-11-19, 06:19
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

It may still be a worthwhile purchase for the components (if you like the price).

The impeller is cast iron and will also fit the cassette-type bearing used in the truck water pumps. Often these impellers are badly corroded and not suitable to re-use, or may be fractured when pulling them off the old bearing.

The Truck bearings are available separately, but kits are hard to come across. By using this kit with a separately purchased bearing, you can rebuild your original pump.

I try to buy any used truck water pumps I can find with good pulleys and impellers, because those bits are hard to find, but the bearings themselves are still a catalog item.
Old 19-11-19, 13:37
carrier mech

Those kits are still available from Mac's for $30 each. https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_...build-kit.html

A brand new pump with modern design is $64.99: https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_...build-kit.html

They also have kits for the later Flathead Ford 8BA engines which have the more modern style components. I wonder if there is any interchangeability with the 2 groove pulley pumps. https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_...build-kit.html
Old 20-11-19, 00:27
MLU Administrator

Do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Those kits are still available from Mac's for $30 each. https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_...build-kit.html
Quote:
A brand new pump with modern design is $64.99: https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_...build-kit.html
https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_...and-95-hp.html ?

Quote:
They also have kits for the later Flathead Ford 8BA engines which have the more modern style components. I wonder if there is any interchangeability with the 2 groove pulley pumps. https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_...build-kit.html
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...ad-239-v8.html ?
Old 20-09-21, 14:28
MLU Administrator

Default Ford water pump kit, part no. ET6 8591

Ford water pump kit, part no. ET6 8591 - "a product of Ford Motor Co Ltd England".

The ET6 denotes it is a spare for the Fordson Thames ET6 Trader. As far as I can see these parts fit the Ford V8 engine as fitted in CMP trucks.

IMG_2535.jpg IMG_2534.jpg
Old 20-09-21, 16:53
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default more

This 'how to' is focused on the post war water pumps but it has some relevance.

https://myflatheadford.com/b-b-1949-...mp-rebuilding/
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 23-09-21, 19:31

I had almost forgotten this thread but an update to my earlier posts. The pump repair kits from Gotham Auto Parts were fitted and pleased to say have been very good. Now fitted for a year to 18 months and still sealing well. Before fitting it is important to have the inside face of the pump body machined perfectly smooth where the carbon disc runs to ensure a good seal. The only issue I had was not having run the Carrier for nearly a year during lockdown as I could not get to it the pumps did leak on first running the engine again, I assume this was due to rust having formed on the sealing face of the pump body as following more running the leak has stopped.

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Royal Enfield RE125 'Flying Flea'
Old 23-09-21, 22:39
Bluebell

Mike if you put a corrosion inhibitor in the cooling system it should stop that. The other benefits of that are that it should Lube your pump seals(so it is said) and it will stop the buildup of scale which greatly assists in heat transfer and therefore a more effective cooling system. This is important with the Ford flattie because they are known as "hot" engines. Bearing in mind that the engine is trapped in a box, the air flow entirely comes from the windmill at the front.
I run a 3 5/16" bore (which increases the potential for trouble) but in saying that I have done every thing I can to keep her running within range. I run 180 degree thermostats and a 4 pound cap(I made an adapter to take a Morris Minor cap) The original pressure cap is supposed to relieve at 3.5 pounds (during WWII Ford upgraded their radiator seam laps because they were splitting) Waffle finished
I'll add James's contact details here again. I take no pecuniary benefit from James. He has just treated me like a valued customer.

James Saccoccio
Gotham Auto Parts,LLC
340 Cherry Street
Bedford Hills, NY 10507

sales@gothamautoparts.com
Tel: (718) 878-3699
Fax: (212) 519-790

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 23-09-21, 23:06
Bluebell

Having just looked through the link that Mike posted, I would suggest the following:
First, the impellor is sacrificial. Don't try to save it. It's junk!
Second. Drill a series of small holes straight down into the impellor, in a line across it, in an imaginary line through the bearing center. (don't go too deep)( you want to go right through the impellor, just!)
Then increase the drill size and re-drill those holes.(hopefully merging the holes?) The idea is to form a line of weakness across the impellor. Then take a suitable sharpish cold chisel and split the impellor. This approach will take some risk out stuffing your pump housing.
You can then press the bearing out from the back of the pump and lastly you press the bearing from your (well supported) pulley.
On the seals. There is some variation in the componentry. The ones in Hanno's picture have more parts than the ones from James. I think Hanno's kit is earlier and is obviously a British kit. The bearing is the same. Some people have spent big money investing in improved modern made pumps. I'm too tight for that.

The above applies to lots of press assembled water pumps across different manufacturers.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 23-09-21 at 23:14. Reason: Because I can.