MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-16, 20:42

Default Chris' T16

As per Hanno's request, I began looking for pictures of my toy. Funny thing, believe it or not I haven't really taken any photos of just the carrier since I bought it. The vehicle has always been part of a larger display so what I have is really not particularly detailed. That of course may be good because who knows, I may have put a piece of equipment in the wrong place inside. At any rate, here's just a few from a show I was part of last October.
Problem #2, I'm not particularly computer savvy. My picture posting doesn't seem to be going all that well. Dang.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-03-16, 06:04
Bluebell

That is a very nice carrier, and I dont wish to pick holes. So....... In the nicest possible tone,( ) Your T number must be missing a digit.
T12890 is the number from a British MkI U.C. built by Thornycroft.
Possibly something like T212890????? (I don't know anything about T16 numbers)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 02-03-16, 09:01
Adrian Barrell

T212890 was a Stuart V (M3A3)....... T16s were T92001-T112000. There may have been others, this was from a quick look through my lists.
Old 02-03-16, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankbarrell View Post
T212890 was a Stuart V (M3A3)....... T16s were T92001-T112000. There may have been others, this was from a quick look through my lists.

Hey thanks, the number painted on the hull was put in place by the previous owner. So I have no idea where it came from.
If I knew where to look, would there be some kind of production serial number stamping which would lead me to a more realistic T number?
(Side note, if this is no longer the correct topic thread to pose this question, we can move this thread.)
Regards,

Chris
Old 02-03-16, 21:34
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetronis View Post
As per Hanno's request, I began looking for pictures of my toy. Funny thing, believe it or not I haven't really taken any photos of just the carrier since I bought it. The vehicle has always been part of a larger display so what I have is really not particularly detailed. That of course may be good because who knows, I may have put a piece of equipment in the wrong place inside. At any rate, here's just a few from a show I was part of last October.
Problem #2, I'm not particularly computer savvy. My picture posting doesn't seem to be going all that well. Dang.
Chris, thanks for sharing - looks like you're having great fun with it.

One thing I would like to ask you is to attach pictures to your posts rather than using links to Photobucket - we have learned the hard way that one day sooner rather than later they will disappear making this thread worthless.

Here is how you learn how to post images - let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!
Hanno
Old 04-03-16, 15:10
Sean Deren

Nice T16! Ours is in the works. Your not too far away to come down to the Florida MVPA Winter Rally. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier as we just had it this past week end. So hopefully next year!

Sean
Old 04-03-16, 18:46
Adrian Barrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetronis View Post
Hey thanks, the number painted on the hull was put in place by the previous owner. So I have no idea where it came from.
Chris
T12890 was a Thornycroft built Universal Carrier Mk1, so at least the right sort of vehicle!
Old 04-03-16, 19:50

Hi guys, thanks for the words of encouragement. I really can't take any credit for the condition of the carrier. The previous owner really did all the work, I'm just the guy who forked out the cash when he decided to sell it.
I really sort of feel like a fraud on this one. When I did my jeep and halftrack I did pretty much all of the work, this time I'm mostly clueless on the mechanics of the T16. I'm sure I'll learn when something breaks on it.
I have a detail question for you folks who've studying these things. I currently have some brackets on the corners which held large cylindrical braces for what I believe was the post war Swiss top. You can see one just forward of my elbow in the picture of me talking on the WS19. My question is, were those brackets on the T16 originally there and the Swiss just re-purposed them, or are these things just a post war add on? If so, I'll unbolt them next time I'm out in the barn. Same thing for that funky bracket just above my universal pouch. Looks like a tie hook for the top but I don't know if it's post war or not.
Any input on that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris