MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Parts/Sources/Prices

Notices

Old 10-05-10, 16:05
Brian Asbury

Default CMP Part Numbers: "Neutral Numbers"

If you look in any CMP parts book printed after 1943 or so there is a column to the right of the part description for a "Proprietory or M.T. Number". Not many entries are made in this column but a typical entry might be NA/GB150224.
I have an undated cross reference book titled "Neutral Numbers" that lists a series of sequential numbers from AG2 to BR192149 with their equivalent manufacturerer number (Ford, GM, Chysler etc).
The numerical parts of the numbers are sequential but periodically the prefixes change: starting with AG, then AT, AL, AE, AN, AB, AM, AC, UJ, CL, GB, FA, RA and finally BR.
As an example: from parts book C60L-03: "Ball, steering shaft" is part number 104918 but the Proprietory/M.T.Number is NA/AN 40004. My Neutral Number cross reference book lists this as equivalent to GM 104918, GM 147485, F 353076S and C 104918. (F-Ford, C=Chev(?)). The NA prefix presumably refers to North America.
It appears that the Neutral Number system was devised to standardize all of the manufacturer part numbers (much like the US did with the "G'" number system for vehicle parts) but was never fully implemented for CMP's. Maybe it was commonly used in British parts books.
Can anyone clarify when this system was developed and if it was ever widely adopted. I assume that by the mid-1950's everyone went to the Federal or National Stock Number System that is used to the present (e.g.: 5330-00-741-0741).
........ Brian
Old 11-05-10, 13:41
Dutch member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA View Post
Can anyone clarify when this system was developed and if it was ever widely adopted.
I assume that by the mid-1950's everyone went to the Federal or National Stock Number
System that is used to the present (e.g.: 5330-00-741-0741).
Hi Brian, my "special" reference books showing not only Neutral numbers to
Ford-GMC-Dodge numbers but also the other way: Dodge numbers to
GMC-Ford-Neutral numbers plus etc. etc. The 4 (small) books are undated !

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
NeutralNumbers.jpg  
Old 12-05-10, 14:16
Brian Asbury

Default CMP Neutral Numbers

Thanks for the info Dirk. I have never seen any other cross-references for these numbers. This must have been a sort-lived numbering system as far as CMP parts.
...... Brian
Old 12-05-10, 16:04

Default Other observations on part ####

We have observed that certain CMP part numbers, particularly for Ford, are still being used today for identification/catalogue purposes by repro dealers today....

The Ford 1940 master cylinder number in the CMP parts manual is still being used to identify a replacement by Mac Auto which specializes in repro parts.

Remember that all our brake components on CMPs, whether Chev or Ford, are all Ford parts.

Brian..... are you considering reproducing your manual for resale....?

Boob
Canada
Old 12-05-10, 16:35
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Bob, I think that while the brake components at the wheel are all Ford, the Chev Master Cylinders are Chev parts. Many of the Ford numbers are still in use by Ford themselves, let alone the Repro guys!
Old 12-05-10, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
I think that while the brake components at the wheel are all Ford, the Chev Master Cylinders are Chev parts. Many of the Ford numbers are still in use by Ford themselves, let alone the Repro guys!
Agreed about the master cylinders being brand specific, but as always there is an exception. The Ford Master cylinder is also used by Fruehauf and various other members of the Steel Body Manufacturer's Association for the CMP trailers. As a result, it appears in manuals published by Chrysler for the trailers so it could look like the Ford master cylinder in Chrysler products (accurate if you treat the machinery trailers "final assembled" by Chrysler as being Chrysler products).
Old 18-05-10, 14:51

Default Ford Part Numbers - Caution!

Just a comment regarding Ford part numbers - Bob noted correctly that Mac's Auto and even Ford still use the original part numbers. This is so BUT the devil is in the detail! You have to know the prefix number as well to get the correct part. For example, 14401 is the number for a dash wiring harness but there are 26 different versions with prefixes like 46-, 81A-, 91C etc. that tell you which year and model vehicle is involved. Unfortunately, there are no prefixes for CMP's presumably because parts were taken from a variety of models' bins. You have to know - or guess- if you are ordering from Mac's since they don't know what CMP's are!
Old 20-05-10, 04:29

Default One more detail.....

If you drop in on Mac's on a Saturday morning... they are busy.... and have NO time to chitchat..... or to take out 3 parts to fits which fits.... I have also gone during the week whe quieter...... I had to symphatise with the clerk who has no idea what the parts are for...... and merely punches in a coded number and aplastic bin appears with the parts..... he can't tell you if the proper part can be compared and might just be in a bin next to it.....

They have the stuff but you need to know what you need.....

Compare to <Marlmberg who , if you hit the old parts guy...... will actually pull out massive reference manuals that not only contains part numbers but black silhouettes of the wheel cylinder or master brake cylinder with referenced numbers......

CarQuest on Startop...Rick will pullout old books that shows not only the dimensions of rad hoses but there shape...... try to find a rad hose that fits the small outlet of the original rad and the larger outlet of the engine....

all depends on who you know and how willing they are to help you...

Boob
Canada
Old 11-07-11, 01:01

Default CMP parts numbers

I have two parts books for Ford civilion vehicles from 1928 to 1945 .Would they be of any use ?
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 11-07-11, 03:23

Default parts manuals.....

Hi George.

Grant Bowker may be interested to add to his collection...... they comning handy when you need to cross reference civilian Ford parts that have been used on CMPs..... even Chevy CMPs have a lot of Ford parts.....

Bob C
Canada