MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 27-01-04, 15:14
MLU Administrator

Default Re: JUNE 8, 1944 RWR Roll Of Honour

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
UN-fortunately, I can NOT view the Roll ... I'm PDF incapable. nuts!
Carman,

I'm sure a forum member in Canada is happy to print it and mail it to you....if not let me know your postal address.

It is a 16 page document listing all the regiment member who died in wars from 1885 onwards. Quite a lot of Smith's are listed, but under the WORLD WAR II KILLED IN ACTION section I found:

"*RFN SMITH, E. 8/6/44 "
* Murdered in the field as prisoners of war.

This must be your uncle, right?

Hanno
Old 27-01-04, 15:19
MLU Administrator

Default Re: JUNE 8, 1944 RWR Roll Of Honour

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
UN-fortunately, I can NOT view the Roll ... I'm PDF incapable. nuts!
Carman,

I'm sure a forum member in Canada is happy to print it and mail it to you....if not let me know your postal address.

It is a 16 page document listing all the regiment members who died in wars from 1885 onwards. Quite a lot of Smith's are listed, but under the WORLD WAR II KILLED IN ACTION section I found:

*RFN SMITH, E. 8/6/44

Noteworthy is that there was another Smith - RFN SMITH, F - murdered on the same day. Were they related?

Hanno
Old 27-01-04, 21:11
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: JUNE 8, 1944 RWR Roll Of Honour

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Carman,

It is a 16 page document listing all the regiment members who died in wars from 1885 onwards. Quite a lot of Smith's are listed, but under the WORLD WAR II KILLED IN ACTION section I found:

*RFN SMITH, E. 8/6/44

Noteworthy is that there was another Smith - RFN SMITH, F - murdered on the same day. Were they related?

Hanno
Hi Hanno...thanks, and you're awesome to jump in here and offer a hand.

Wow... sounds like quite the Roll. Why don't we hold off until we see if someone closer to me can print it out.

F. Smith ... I believe was Frederick Smith. No relation that I'm aware of. (ART... is this the same man "RED" ???)

There WAS also ANOTHER Edward Smith soldier who died around the same time.

The EDWARD Smith you mention IS my Uncle.

Hanno ... yah should try doing geneology searching when your grandpa and great grandpa are named JOSEPH SMITH and ggg grandpa JOHN SMITH )John James Smith from London England) EEEEEEEEK! FUN.

(nice tosee theforumbackup again ... hmmm... what the heck is the problem with the server ... they sure seem to go down a lot drag)

Thanks ... Carman
Old 27-01-04, 21:29
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default I'll print it our for you.

Just give me a day or so.

Ref the forum, sorry about that. It took them 4 1/2 hours to restart one software component on the server. I'm actively looking for another provider at this time.

G.
Old 27-01-04, 21:53
Vets Dottir

Default Re: I'll print it our for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Just give me a day or so.

Ref the forum, sorry about that. It took them 4 1/2 hours to restart one software component on the server. I'm actively looking for another provider at this time.

G.

Thanks ...you're a real Wizard

Good luck with finding a reliable and responsible provider. (I hate dependency on machines and electricity ... eek)

The Yaps
Old 27-01-04, 22:42
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: JUNE 8, 1944 RWR Roll Of Honour

Hi Carman;

The Roll of Honour that appears on the Royal Winnipeg Rifles website is the same one that is on the Memorial Plaque at Audrieu, unveiled on 8 June 1989. Your Uncle's name is 5th from the bottom, right hand column, under the Royal Winnipeg Rifles.
I'll e-mail you a copy from the website.

Cheers
Attached Images

Old 28-01-04, 03:02
Vets Dottir

Default He's Back!

It's good to see you back in here lately Mark ... THANKS big time for sending the Roll of Honour ... and for posting the plaque. I lost many things I'd saved in Yahoo photos when they changed things and wiped out photos etc. I can NO LONGER save jpg in yahoo...so save to disk now. Better late than never I suppose.

Your help... AS EVER ... very much appreciated. i OWE you big time for this last year, don't I?

I'll think of something.

Hugs to D and J

Carman
Old 28-01-04, 04:16
Senior Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: He's Back!

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Your help... AS EVER ... very much appreciated. i OWE you big time for this last year, don't I?
Carman;

Glad I could help and NO, YOU DON'T OWE ME ANYTHING, having to put up with me for the last year was enough

Cheers
Old 28-01-04, 05:02
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: He's Back!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Carman;

Glad I could help and NO, YOU DON'T OWE ME ANYTHING, having to put up with me for the last year was enough

Cheers
I'll drink ta that me fine old friend Not to worry Mark, you soon shall have a rest from Little Miss Yappy ... perhaps sooner than you could know (he says "promises, promises")

This last year has been ... amazing, an eye-opener, and absolutely stunning. Too much good stuff all in one place. Can't handle it

Carman
Old 28-01-04, 19:32
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Progress Update

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D

4) RWR's ... there is a book commemorating specifically Royal Winnipeg Rifles ... someone is sending me a complimentary copy. Its in the mail as I speak.

As soon as I have all the details and info about this book, I will let GEOFF know, and he will let you-all know all about it asap ... I truly know nothing about it, how many copies, if its for sale, by whom, etc ... GEOFF may find out himself and let you know anyways.

Lest We Forget.

Carman

UPDATE: ... this book was a project with the aim of providing it to the relatives ... HOWEVER ... I am waiting for a reply to find out if anyone else can get copies, if so, how, etc.

I received my copy today The book isactually extracts of all the Royal Winnipeg Rifles soldiers of WW1 and WW2 who had geographical places named after them, from the book "A PLACE OF HONOUR: Manitoba's War Dead Commemorated in its Geography"

I'll be keeping Geoff posted, so if I can't post any updates about this, I'm sure he will as soon as he gets them.

The book ... is extremely "moving" ... about 264 soldiers written up, some with photos, some with writings by relatives and such. Sadly, I didn't get my Uncles info, photos, and so forth, together soon enough to be included at these printings. BUT ... they WILL be added to any future re-prints or updates I'm sure.

It all takes time ... and money.

ART: Frederick Smith is written up, and there's aphoto of him, as well as memories by his daughter.

SEAN: Ralph Spencer also has a photo, and a write up from his neice.

Lest We Forget

Carman
Old 28-01-04, 19:58
Vets Dottir

Default Oh my god....

Now I KNOW what happened tomy Aunt's first husband! (my mom and Uncle Ed's sister)

RIFLEMAN PHILLIP A. GENAILLE H/100967 RWR
Died: June 6,1944. Sadly, there is no photo of him. My Aunt passed away a few years ago, as did Bobbie.

I don't think Phillip ever met his son Phillip (Bobbie)

I was just blown away to read this and had to share it with you all. God .. my poor family. I think more relatives are mentioned. I need to go through the book.
Old 28-01-04, 21:21
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Oh my god....

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
RIFLEMAN PHILLIP A. GENAILLE H/100967 RWR Died: June 6,1944.
Carman;

Page 314, Second World War Book of Remembrance, 9th from the bottom, left hand column

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/books/ww2/ww2314.htm

and from The Canadian Virtual War Memorial site:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/s...sualty=2059133

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 28-01-04 at 21:49.
Old 28-01-04, 22:23
Vets Dottir

Default and yet again ...

MARK; Thanks.

There are 3 Genaille's ... all 3 related, I'm sure. All 3 died 1944.

The men ...our families, and our communities and country, lost so much. I know many women served and lost their lives, but the MEN ... in those days ... what IMPACT on absolutely every level of life, to lose these young men.

One of the the things I'm really loving about my research, is how much deeper and wider I understand my parents generation, and so many more of the major bigger picture and influences at work in shaping the people we were raised by.

We can NEVER really understand ourselves, until we can understand who and what we came from, and who and what, they came from, and so on.

... on and on along the line ... hmmmm ...

Oh ... thanks Mark ... for the last email I saved it to disk.
Old 28-01-04, 22:39
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: and yet again ...

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
There are 3 Genaille's ... all 3 related, I'm sure. All 3 died 1944.
Carman;

Genaille, J.H.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/s...sualty=2333202

Genaille, L.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/s...sualty=1713431
Old 29-01-04, 03:30
Vets Dottir

Default hi

Thanks Mark.

BTW ... that file saved nicely and I
like the extra touch of high-liting
my Uncles name on the list.

Phillip Genaille ... I noticed his name
under the list of those who died of wounds.

God... so MANY names.

Does anyone have a number of
total soldiers deaths from WW2?
How many went over, how many came home?

MARK ... before you email me any more
big files can you please clear it with me
first ... I'll explain later ... but I
want to be sure I can get at it quickly,
and need to know WHEN to expect them. Thanks.

Carman
Old 29-01-04, 16:01
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Big Files

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
MARK ... before you email me any more big files can you please clear it with me first ... I'll explain later ...
Hi Carman;

Message (your PM) received and I understand, never thought of that...:....oh well, I try....

Cheers
Old 29-01-04, 17:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Big Files

Quote:
Hi Carman;

Message (your PM) received and I understand, never thought of that...:....oh well, I try....

Cheers
Men! : Always some lame excuse

I'll keep you posted my friend, will send reminders for that oldtimers mental disease you so suffer.

Yap yap -----> I'm outta here
Old 29-01-04, 17:20
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Big Files

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Men! : Always some lame excuse

I'll keep you posted my friend, will send reminders for that oldtimers mental disease you so suffer.

Yap yap -----> I'm outta here
Gee THANKS and here I was being NICE and all.....women, can't live with'em, can't live...aaaaaaah, never mind :
Old 29-01-04, 18:01
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Files

Quote:
Gee THANKS and here I was being NICE and all.....women, can't live with'em, can't live...aaaaaaah, never mind :
Yeah ... I know what yah mean.
We women are nasty ... must be
because of the 'pause

(i'm sorry forgive Yappy? )
Old 19-04-04, 00:08
Vets Dottir

Default Beny-Sur-Mer War Cemetery

In June, our wonderful admin Geoff, will be visiting my Uncle Rifleman Edward Smith's resting place in Beny-Sur-Mer War Cemtery on my behalf and will lay a Canadian Flag and card for me. I'm blown away by his offer and his kindness and feel wonderful knowing he'll be there,andthrough him, so will I, in spirit and mind, as he stands there above my Uncle.

Thank you GEOFF ... from the heart.

GEOFF ... I'm wondering if I can get that fire under my relatives to find that photo or obit and photo that was in thee Winnipeg Free Press in 1945 if I could have that copied and laminated in time before you go over there, would it be "OKAY" to lave that at his resting place too?

It would be so awesome to have a photo and/or obituary of him on his gravesite for others to see so they can know a little about the man burid there.

How soon do you need my words and any photos Geoff? I know you head overseas in May some time. Please let me know regards timing and if leaving photo etc is okay. I can always scan and email a photo/obit if theres no time to get copies.

(PS: everything is still in boxes until I'm in my own apt ... which hopefully will be by May 1st)

Carman
Old 19-04-04, 00:30
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Karmen dear,

It's my privilege, nay, my duty. If you have something you wish me to take, ensure it's here by... say... May 14th. Otherwise we'll work something out.

Still hoping to see you in June.

Geof
Old 19-04-04, 00:50
Vets Dottir

Default I thank you

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Karmen dear,

It's my privilege, nay, my duty. If you have something you wish me to take, ensure it's here by... say... May 14th. Otherwise we'll work something out.

Still hoping to see you in June.

Geof
THANK YOU GEOFF ... on all counts and for everything.

I'm looking for a blow torch to fire up my relatives as I speak ... also ... on my own will search for the public library tomorrow as well and see if I can find the obit in the archived newspapers. I'm working with "guesswork dates" according to the telegram the officials sent my grandparents around June 8th, 1945 confirming that YES indeed, he was "confirmed" killed.

Expect to hear from me and receive something soon... you're awesome Geoff.
Old 21-04-04, 02:49
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Oh my god....

Quote:
Carman;

Page 314, Second World War Book of Remembrance, 9th from the bottom, left hand column

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/books/ww2/ww2314.htm

and from The Canadian Virtual War Memorial site:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/s...sualty=2059133

Cheers
UPDATE:

There is a PHOTO and OBITUARY for "PHILIP GENAILLE" Royal Winnipeg Rifles, who as mentioned previously, is the brothr-inlaw of Rifleman Edward Smith (married to Edward's sister Anna) ...see PAGE 5 of JUNE 24, 1944 Winnipeg Free Press. I photocopied from the microfiche but can't scan that just now. Philip died June 6, 1944 in the Normandy Landing. I'llpost the photoand obit as soon as I am able to scan/upload.

RIFLEMAN EDWARD SMITH: although I was able to find 2 "In Memorium" notices on page 16 of the JUNE 8, 1945 issue of the Winnipeg Free Press, I wasn't able to locate an actual obituary OR a photo... YET!

RALPH SPENCER ... obit and photo on page 6 of JUNE 6, 1945 issue as well.

(interruption ... have to go for now ... )

Take care,

Carman
Old 21-04-04, 05:51
Vets Dottir

Default Cpl Ralph Spencer's Obituary AND Photo

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
I would be curious if my Uncle's name was ever mentioned, Cpl Ralph Earnest Spencer RWR , died june 6th/44 on Juno beach. I would have to look it up but I believe he was in in 1942 so the odds are he new many of the RWR's by sight at least.
On a side note , again I would have to check, but I believe one of the letters about Ralph is from Major Hodge.
Sean Spencer
SEAN ....

As mentioned in my post just before this one, I came across an "Obituary WITH Photo" of your Uncle Ralph in a microfiched copy of the

JUNE 6, 1945 issue of the Winnipeg Free Press on page 6.

IF you want me to photocopy this for you next time I'm at the library, I will be VERY glad to do so for you and send it to you. Just PM me to let me know and where to snd it etc.

A GIVEN TO ANYONE from ME: if anyone wants me to search the Winnipeg Free Press or Winnipeg Tribune microfiched newspapers for obits/photos/articles and you have a "ballpark date" I'll be glad to do so, and photocopy and send (can't scan and send, no scanner ) If I'll be there anyways ... why not It only costs mebusfare and photocopying,and sinceits all Black and White for WW2 stuff ... photocopying is inexpensive.

This offer is for those of you not in Winnipeg or just not able to take the time to research. I love to help when/how/as I can. TIME and ACCESS is what I DO have.

Just PM me if you want help.

Take care,

Carman
Old 21-04-04, 07:12
Vets Dottir

Default June 6, 1944 - 351 Canadian Fallen Soldiers names

I found this link by a Google search for Philip Genaille ... BOTH PHILIP GENAILLE and RALPH SPENCER are mentioned on this list of 351 Canadians killed June 6, 1944 during the Normandy landing:

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSRemembrance...remem-sun.html

Take care,

Carman
Old 26-04-04, 07:06
Vets Dottir

Default Progress.

This evening I sit holding a real treasure in my hands that I've actively been searching for for over a year. An image on newsprint, yellowed with age, but a clear image I remember seeing in the real photo I last saw in the early 1960's.

RFN. EDWARD SMITH,
missing.

Glued to the back of a little card with a very moving little poem ... no author named ... goes like this;

OUR DEFENDERS

These, in the day when Heaven was falling,
The hour when Earth's foundations fled ...
Their shoulders held the Sky suspended;
They stood, and Earth's foundations stay.

And these did strike for Canada;
And man and maid are free
To foil and spoil the tyrant
Beneath the greenwood tree.

With sincere good wishes.

In all, it's been an amazing day full of personal history for me ... I visited the gravesites of Mom, Grand parents, (Edward's parents and siblings)tidied and dusted fallen leaves away. Met a woman who has more photos "somewhere" of my Uncle (not a relation)

Coming home ... amazing how much history you find.
It's been 15 years since I've been here/home.

I hope to have this photo I lookat right now, scanned, uploaded to this thread this week.

It's been a long quest ... but really, no time at all. It's simple good fortune to find photos.

I'm blown away today.

"Karmen"
Old 27-04-04, 18:30
Senior Forum Member

On behalf of Carman Sinclair:
Attached Images

Old 27-04-04, 18:36
Senior Forum Member

On behalf of Carman Sinclair:
Attached Thumbnails
smith_e b.jpg  
Old 27-04-04, 19:22
Vets Dottir

Lightbulb MARK and GEOFF

Thank YOU MARK for posting these photos for me ... what a wonderful idea to add the extra with the headstone from Beby-Sur-Mer. It's SO wonderful to finally see a photo after all this time, isn't it?
Edward was only 19 at the time of this photo. He was 21 on June 8, 1944 when his life was taken.

Thank YOU GEOFF ... THIS is the photo that Geoff will be taking with him to lay at my Uncles resting place, right in front of the Headstone you see here, in June when he attends the 60th Anniversary Ceremonies in Normandy. This mans SO much to me Geoff, but Iknow that YOU and everyone else understands that.

BLESS YOU BOTH for everything, and on behalf of RFMN EDWARD SMITH ... THANK YOU FOR CARING!

From the Heart and with Gratitude,

Carman
Old 27-04-04, 19:48
Vets Dottir

Default ...beneath the GREENWOOD TREE?

OUR DEFENDERS

These, in the day when Heaven was falling,
The hour when Earth's foundations fled ...
Their shoulders held the Sky suspended;
They stood, and Earth's foundations stay.

And these did strike for Canada;
And man and maid are free
To foil and spoil the tyrant
Beneath the greenwood tree.

With sincere good wishes.

.... Does anyone understand the symbolism of the "GREENWOOD TREE" in this poem? I don't

Thanks, Carman