MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 24-08-03, 22:02

Cool Canadian M4A1s'

Hello to all
This is my first post. Please excuse me if these questions have been asked before.
I have an M4A1, Formations 1/35th.
Can anybody help me with any Canadian units thta would have used this vehicle in NWE. Any tank names and serials would also be a great help.
Cheers
Kevin T
Old 25-08-03, 05:30
Greybeard Member

Default Canadian M4A1

Hello there

The only CAC unit that used M4A1 (Sherman II) tanks in action was the Governor Generals Horse Guards, the Arrmoured Recce Regiment of the 5th Armoured Division. Vehicle returns from Italy state they had Sherman I and II on strength.

They still had them when they arrived in NW Europe in 1945.

I'll be going through the GGHG war diary shortly, perhaps it will throw some more light onto the subject

Steve
Old 03-09-03, 20:15

Default GGHG Sherman II's

According to the Regimental History, when the regiment arrived in Belgium, they converted from a recce regiment organization with Honeys and Sherman II's to a tank regiment with Sherman V's and Fireflys (presumably the Sherman Vc) in accordance with 21st Army Group practice. They remained, technically, the div recce regiment for 5 Canadian Armoured Division, but the new establishment allowed them to support 11 Infantry Brigade of 5 Div as well.

The Governor General's Horse Guards: Second to NoneJohn Marteinson with Scott Duncan, The Governor General's Horse Guards Foundation, 2002, ISBN 1-896941-28-1

When you vist the Horse Guards, do try to speak to the Adjutant, Captain Scott Duncan, CD. He wrote the regimental history with Mr. Martienson and, I understand, did most of the research.