MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 04-12-13, 20:37
Kyle "buster" Reed

Default 6046 power pack

Hi all,

As the title says im currently in the market for a 6046 power pack, which was the two diesel 671's in the m10s and Sherman's.

will consider anything. let me know what you got.

Kyle
Old 05-12-13, 01:37

Default 6046

Hi Kyle, somebody in France is said to have some that are rebuilds , I can't seem to get a line on them from this side of the world, we are also looking for some of the parts that are Sherman only, the 671 you can use any of the models of blocks as they are interchangeable, do you have any engines now? the gear box and the fans and manifolds are the hard to find items,
regards Frank
Old 05-12-13, 21:01
Kyle "buster" Reed

Hi Frank,

Many thanks for the reply. Sadly I haven't got the 6046 pack yet nor have I got any 671's......that's interesting about the chap in France will have to see what I can find out for the both of us.....what bits are you missing?
so iam correct in saying that the engines are just standard 671 engines, same as the commercial truck engines.....and just the gearing that is unique along with some other bits?
Old 05-12-13, 23:45

Default 6046

you have the idea now , if you want a cleaner burn go for the 4 valve heads , but do your homework on the 671 first, we have one Sherman with OE the other with 4 valve heads, happy hunting, I remember when Levy Auto parts had them stacked like cord wood, all gone now,
regards Frank
Old 05-12-13, 23:50
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster reed View Post
Hi Frank,

Many thanks for the reply. Sadly I haven't got the 6046 pack yet nor have I got any 671's......that's interesting about the chap in France will have to see what I can find out for the both of us.....what bits are you missing?
so iam correct in saying that the engines are just standard 671 engines, same as the commercial truck engines.....and just the gearing that is unique along with some other bits?
Yep - that's my understanding, too. Even the blocks can be assembled right and left handed, as they are mirrors of each other. There is a ratio difference in the gearboxes before the final drive - several options are available for other applications.

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 07-12-13, 21:46
Kyle "buster" Reed

BUMP........still looking.
Old 07-12-13, 22:32
Terry Warner

Here's a random wild suggestion. There are a lot of old Sherman tank chassis' in use as the platform under heavy duty logging spar yarders and hydraulic rock drills in the Northwest US and Pacific coast of Canada. The two brand names that come to mind are Madill and Finning. The majority of these vehicles are aging out of service and get parked in logging company yards, or have been parked because of different logging techniques, or simple economic circumstances.

Get your Goofle fingers working to see if you can't find a dealer or auction site that might have your engine. Alternatively, register on dub dub dub heavyequipmentforums dot com. From my limited exposure to that business, you will get immediate and informative answers.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 09-12-13, 00:32

Default 6046 packs

Forestry vehicles disposed of the standard tank engine right away. Most of the engines from Canadian Sherman's that were sold surplus ended up employed as mud pumps or similar industrial applications. A company in Calgary (Diesel Source) had a dozen complete on skids with Sherman rads, fan assemblies and transfer cases. I looked on line and don't see a website for them anymore.

The reason they had them sitting around was that they were pretty worn and obsolete by then. I remember Jack Guthrie bought one for his Sherman (that ended up with Reynolds in Wetaskiwin) for $2500. I think that was 1994 or 1995.