MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 25-10-14, 21:24

Default CMP's in Chinese Service

This possibility had never really registered with me, but this morning I was taking another look at the Lend Lease records and spotted an order for a quantity of 25-Pdrs and Limbers that were built somewhere in the USA and delivered to China, which was likely the Nationalist Chinese Army during World War 2.

Then I remembered the 'Canada Decal' that shows up on a lot of Canadian Military production items has three languages on it: English, Russian and Chinese. Never thought beyond wireless equipment with that decal for some reason. This decal was definitely applied to both soft skin and armoured vehicles exported from Canada during the war, so now I am wondering just what numbers of CMP's and armour Canada may have shipped to China and how much has survived?

Have photos of CMP's etc in Chinese service ever been found? Assuming the 25-Pdrs shipped out of the USA, it could be possible a corresponding number of Gun Tractors may have been sent from Canada, at the very least.

Sadly, I suspect that if any quantities of CMP's etc went to China during the war, they would have been very likely viewed has having been on the 'wrong side' when Mao came to power and scrapped.

David
Old 25-10-14, 21:43
carrier mech

The decals were applied to guns and trucks, and just about anything else you can think of.

The Inglis hipowers had them on the front grip.

A friend bought a Dodge APT near Regina and when he pressure washed the orange paint, there was a lend lease decal on the hood.

As to 25 pdrs etc to China, many orders to China did not get filled due to the likelihood the goods would not make it there. The Inglis hipower order from 1944 had to be cut short for this reason. You will still find the odd Mandarin Script hipower in Canadian service.

All stens after around 11L3--- serial block were also marked for Chinese service. However, they also languished in Cdn service until the end of the Sten era in the late 60s. Earlier batches did make it over however, and Cdn made (Chinese marked) stens were captured from Chinese soldiers in Korea.

Last edited by rob love; 25-10-14 at 21:53.
Old 26-10-14, 00:52

the Sexton at the museum was built against a Chinese order, Colin's dad traced it in the archives, interesting history,
Old 29-11-14, 15:56

See this video from 1946 - there are CMPs with Chinese hieroglyphs and CNRRA abbreviations:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/un...sa/query/china

No more Chinese CMP's images are seen until Today.
Old 29-11-14, 17:01

Great stuff, gentlemen! Amazing where these vehicles keep popping up. Be interesting to find one still in a yard in Taiwan to see what the data plates might have to say.

David
Old 29-11-14, 18:11
carrier mech

I suspect that in the thirst for raw resources, there would not be very much loose scrap left in those parts of the world. Their scrap guys are even showing up in this neck of the woods looking for large quantities of scrap metal, and shipping it back.

This thread made me recall that I had a 20cwt trailer that was marked for Aid-China on the data plate. The data plate was riveted upside down, I suppose so that when the trailer went to the bottom half of the world it could be read.

I believe the date on the plate is Oct of 45, so the aid is post war.

Old 30-11-14, 15:47

Thousands of vehicles were supplied to China via the Ledo Road during '45 so perhaps there were CMPs amongst them...? Certainly we see '45 production CMPs supplied in large numbers to India, including convoys at work on the aerial supply line to China, so perhaps there were Chinese CMP contracts in '45 as well...? Or would they be US vehicles exclusively?

"On 12 January 1945, the first convoy of 113 vehicles, led by General Pick, departed from Ledo; they reached Kunming, China on 4 February 1945. In the six months following its opening, trucks carried 129,000 tons of supplies from India to China. Twenty-six thousand trucks that carried the cargo (one way) were handed over to the Chinese." (source: Wiki)

Click image for larger version

Name:	U.S.-built Army trucks wind along the side of the mountain over the Ledo supply road now open fr.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	69339 Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot 3 (1-12-2014 1-04 AM).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	69340 Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot 4 (1-12-2014 1-04 AM).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	69341 Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot 1 (1-12-2014 1-00 AM).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	69342 Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot 1 (1-12-2014 1-32 AM).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	69343
Old 30-11-14, 18:16

Anyway, there is a quite many photos of US-made vehicles in China, but not Canadian- and British-made.