MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 03-09-05, 13:00
former Resident Historian

Default Try this in your bus/truck!

Old 03-09-05, 16:27

We can argue this all day but I must agree with Chris in that this price increase will have a devastating effect on our economy. The UK fuel prices are high, yes, but we have doubled in less than one year. These trucking statistics are not indicative of the
amount of actual truck traffic on the highways. I travel 100 km each way to work on the world's busiest motorway. Now look that up! A full 35% of the large truck traffic is US carriers. As Geoff has indicated he can take public transport to work. How many other MLUers can? Good or bad it is non existent in my area. Closest pub is 25 km. How far are Cletrac or Shawn from civilization? A lot further I bet. Distance and costs are only what you make of them anyway. Some UKers won't drive their vehicle from the southern part of England to Beltring.$$$$$ Others like Martin Eaton say " let me pop down to Kent, take you home for a visit and then I will drive you back to Beltring tomorrow in the CCKW". Gosh he lives north of London. I don't think I have been to any MV meet in the UK without meeting Tom Bewick. In Canada I travelled one way, 2976 km just to pick up my FAT body. That is further than from London to Istanbul (2500 km) or London to Moscow (2498 km). Brian Gough travels 1261 km to his cottage! Face it, it's gonna hurt. I'm with Geoff in that we should redevelop the wood burners. Next lets talk about how much its gonna cost to heat the shop for restorations. No lets not go there. I'm waiting for the kiss cuss I just got scr*#ed.

: : : :

Cheers, Barry
Old 03-09-05, 20:25
David Pope

Default Dog River

Dog River is really Rouleau near Regina and is about 250 miles away. The crops here are very good but they don't want to pay much for them. Forty years ago a bushel of wheat bought 10 gallons of gasoline but today you need 2 bushels to pay for one gallon.
Around here the pickup truck is the only transportation available. They have public transport in Saskatoon but that's 120 miles away. Once I've driven that 120 miles I'm not likely going to consider parking my truck to ride the bus.
On the subject of cost of heating the natural gas bill at my brother's yard was $3900 two years ago. We fabricated a coal burning hot water heater to heat the house and shop last winter but left the gas furnace in the house for when the coal fire died down. This brought the heating bill down to $700 for gas and $400 for coal. $400 of coal gives the same heat as $3200 of gas and they're talking a 30% price hike on gas this year. We're going to make a few alterations on the coal furnace this fall to try eliminating the gas entirely.
Maybe a person needs a coal gas cooker in the back of the truck. A cubic metre of coal has lots more available energy than a cubic metre of straw.
Old 03-09-05, 20:42

Default Wow!

Quote:
I travel 100 km each way to work on the world's busiest motorway. Now look that up!
For three months I went west London {Heathrow Airport} to Southampton each working day, 75 miles each way by A303, M4, M25 then M3...did 18,000 miles in one year. We have done 41,000 miles in our Swindon-built Honda Civic since 2 January 2003 but that does 38 mpg. Now we have a KIA Picanto that we bought for daughter to learn to drive in...10.500 miles since 2 March 2005 at 48 mpg! Thta;s the car we use now! However we did 15,000 in a 2003 Honda Jazz in a year and that did 55 mpg...petrol stations were infrequent visitors with that car! Used to do Southampton-Swansea and back 350 miles. 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours there and then back.

I ams sure that the M25 London orbiatl MUST be the busiest in the world..now it's 5 lanes both sides in places! At times it's a car park.
Old 03-09-05, 21:25

I ams sure that the M25 London orbiatl MUST be the busiest in the world..now it's 5 lanes both sides in places! At times it's a car park

Hi David
Statistics prove the 401 is the busiest but does it really matter? Like your M25 it is usually a parking lot anyway. Luckily I travel to Whitby where the traffic stops up. The 100 km. I have driven to that point goes fairly quickly. I don't envy the people who travel from Oshawa and Whitby to Toronto. A shorter distance than I travel but sometimes it takes hours. Your gas mileage is impressive in your vehicles. Here we have only started really buying economy vehicles in the last few years. Toyota Echo is now a popular purchase at 54 mpg. We have been spoiled with our gas guzzlers to be sure. My 90 Chev pickup has 580,000 km. and is a pig on gas. My 89 Chev pickup has 350,000 miles and is so bad I rarely use it. My 1972 Chev pickup gave me 13 mpg at the best and I have it stored in a barn. Why?:
The really awful part is Janet also travels 50,000 km (30,000 miles) to work yearly, but she just bought a Nissan Sentra so that should help. We should all have roads like Holland where bikes are King. Not healthy for a fat guy like me though.
Cheers,
Barry
Old 04-09-05, 06:25

At the gaz station at the corner of my street the price is $1.39 per liter it even rise up to $1.47 yesterday...But it came back to "normal" today
Old 04-09-05, 09:46
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Angry ouch

Filled the tank up yesterday, cost me £37.40 - $cdn82 - for just one weeks commute to work! Just as well I've got a new job closer too home starting in a few weeks time otherwise I'd be in s**t street with the bank manager pretty shortly - this is a £0.06 ($cdn 0.13)per litre rise in a week.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 04-09-05, 11:13

Default 70 + mpg

Using the on-board mpg computer I found our Honda Jazz would do 75 mpg at times! I have even seen over 80! Now I have just noticed there is a new hybrid Civic on sale here, petrol/electric, 55 mpg. £15000. Might buy one!
Old 04-09-05, 11:24
West Coaster

I've read that there is a new Honda Diesel engine in a new car being produced in GB. I think it is reputed to do 90mpg? The new engine is supposed to be a ground up redesign. I can't find any details on the web. Anyone know more?

JD
Old 04-09-05, 11:45
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by JD Baillie
I've read that there is a new .............

JD
TOTALLY off topic .... but HELLO JD Baillie! Long time no hello

Karmen
Old 04-09-05, 12:02

Default Hmmm

Swindon are not producing any diesel cars YET but I believe that the new Civic on sale January 2006 has a new diesel engine. The Swindon-built 138 bhp 2.2. litre will be similar to the Japanese-made Accord and FR-V. However the present Toyota Yaris , Poland-built 1.7 litre 105 bhp diesel does 55 mpg in practice..I know from experience!
Old 04-09-05, 15:05

One of those new Honda Hybrids passes me on the 401 most mornings. I usually cruise along about 120 kph and he just slides by. It's a little ugly from the side but the performance sure looks impressive. I know its a little out of my price range. Speaking of being out of my price range I just filled my DAF for the trip to Coe Hill and todays parade. $281.00.(CDN) I hope I can make it home without having to buy any more! Now I know how you Brits feel
Any of you central Ontario guys had better get your asses up to Coe Hill today. It's only 125 miles from Oshawa!!! Support those veterans.
Barry
Old 04-09-05, 19:33
West Coaster

Hi Karmen,

Not been gone just a lot of sand bagging. M152 goes well. Brake upgrade done to new lines and MC. Busy summer this year with Telus on strike. No time for anything since May.

Wanted to go on the Freedom 60 convoy real bad but couldn't get away.

What's the gas price in TO now that Baby Doc Martin has pledged our gas to the v8s south of the 49th? Filled up yesterday at 1.12/ltre. Had to use Lynn's chick mobile - her Rav4, as all my trucks are having their yearly pre winter service and safety done this week.

Gordon Yeo: How was your harvest this year? Might you be coming out to Duncan?

Cheers
JD
Old 06-09-05, 03:33

Default Canadians!!!???

David, my neighbour just got his new Toyota Echo on Friday night. I got a ride in it on the weekend and it sure is roomy in the front seats. I don't know if I like the really short ass end. You can reach out and touch the front bumper of the transport behind you. He travels 80 km each way to work so he bought this second vehicle so he can park his Chevy 4X4 and use it on the weekends. He stopped in today and he has put 1,000 km on the Toyota this weekend just playing around.: I guess he is a typical Canadian. We buy something that is twice as good on fuel so we can drive twice as far going nowhere.
Cheers,
Barry
Old 06-09-05, 04:51
RIP

Reminds me that after the U.S. companies diverted our gas to their U.S. customers during the long ago Arab boycott that our Mr.Trudeau (remember him) set up Petrocanada so that we would buy directly from the producing countries and never again be affected by a shortage in the U.S. -I also caution you to discount the recent rumours of handgun violence in Toronto since (Barrys friend) our Mr. Rock removed that possibility before he left to straighten out the U.N. --Greg
Old 07-09-05, 17:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: 70 + mpg

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
Using the on-board mpg computer I found our Honda Jazz would do 75 mpg at times! I have even seen over 80! Now I have just noticed there is a new hybrid Civic on sale here, petrol/electric, 55 mpg. £15000. Might buy one!
Hi Dave
Just got back from Coe Hill gather up and worked out gas milage in wifes '97 Toyota Tercel...50.5MPG...
565 KM on $38.00 worth of gas...
I burn ethanol at 89 octane and get better milage than regular unleaded..and more bang for the buck..
The guy beside me was filling his Buick...$80.75 Canadian..
Better him than me..
Old 07-09-05, 23:21
48th Highlander

Default gas, gas, gas

May I say due to the calamitous behavior of nature upon the land and people of the South?
It must truly bring pain to every thinking soul. When one try’s to inter-connect the demise of
living matter millions of years ago and place it with the complex social and financial world of today and
its intrusion in what we expect to behave in an exact and finite manner. This surely must
tell us that we can never fully prepare for whatever road evolution takes us.
Please accept my small bit of humor to bring to light how little the price of fuel can ever relate
To the loss of life and property of other humans.

To all of us who are bellyaching and complaining about prices at the pumps I hereby suggest a very economic source of power. (Hay) but damn it all, think what those old, old fossils paid millions of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
hay power, cheap mobile snacks and fuel.jpg  
Old 08-09-05, 17:41
Vets Dottir

Default Re: gas, gas, gas

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
To all of us who are bellyaching and complaining about prices at the pumps I hereby suggest a very economic source of power. (Hay) but damn it all, think what those old, old fossils paid millions of years ago.
Very economical and low-maintenance ... self-starting-movable four-legged self-filling gas tanks!!!
Old 08-09-05, 18:09
West Coaster

Default Hey Burner!

Would you guys quit horsing around? This is a seriious forum don'tchaknow.

JD
Old 08-09-05, 19:16
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Hey Burner!

Quote:
Would you guys quit horsing around? This is a seriious forum don'tchaknow.

JD
Hey JD ... wus up wid dat? First you call me VD and now you call me "Burner" (as in wagon-burner"?

Watch it buster, this Little Miss Ma Pixie-Witch ... the Pixie_Witch part is Cree ... so cover your wagon with fireproofed tarp ... sometimes I use fire instead of frying pans

Ma

Old 08-09-05, 19:37
RIP

Default Hay as fuel

Watched a Newsworld documentary about making ethanol with hay.Think about it.One years' production would kill the emissions of 100,000 cars,and the stuff burns clean.Food for thought for the politicians,who are already in the pockets of the oil companies.
Old 08-09-05, 19:41
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Hay as fuel

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Watched a Newsworld documentary about making ethanol with hay.Think about it.One years' production would kill the emissions of 100,000 cars,and the stuff burns clean.Food for thought for the politicians,who are already in the pockets of the oil companies.
ooops I thought you all meant the gas from the asses in the photo :

I'll "butt out" now
Old 08-09-05, 19:44
West Coaster

Default What's cookin small FRY?

To quote the venerable bunny:

"Of course you realize this means..."

But then that wouldn't be a first for you on MLU would it?

Hmm. You paint quite the image... Cree warrioress complete with beads and traditional costume, wearing a Sinclair tartan, claymore strapped to your back, standing on the old site of Fort Whoopup in the Cypress Hills playing the bagpipes, wearing your frying pan on your arm to deflect the incomming round shot....

Gawd! K! How do you do it?

JD
Old 08-09-05, 20:00
Vets Dottir

Default Re: What's cookin small FRY?

Quote:
To quote the venerable bunny:

"Of course you realize this means..."

But then that wouldn't be a first for you on MLU would it?

Hmm. You paint quite the image... Cree warrioress complete with beads and traditional costume, wearing a Sinclair tartan, claymore strapped to your back, standing on the old site of Fort Whoopup in the Cypress Hills playing the bagpipes, wearing your frying pan on your arm to deflect the incomming round shot....

Gawd! K! How do you do it?

JD
I make the most of my genes, thank you verra much
Old 08-09-05, 20:02
48th Highlander

Default gas,gas,gas

Geoff.
Before you plunge into that early morning voyage via that adventurous Torontonian carriage called the streetcar Here is a little ode that you and Carman can recite that will fortify you emotionally to endure that vehicle of human confusion. You must together recite it to that old 1920's tune, (I've been working on the railroad). This will help you have pity for those poor souls who are having their fortunes sucked up at the gas pumps.

A rich man has a taxi cab.
A poor man has a train.
But, my old man has 4 wheels and a board.
And he gets there just the same.
Old 08-09-05, 20:09
Vets Dottir

Default Re: gas,gas,gas

Quote:

But, my old man has 4 wheels and a board.
And he gets there just the same.
Cool ... the first skateboard invented!

I've been skateboarding on the main drag
All the way to work
I don't care how you laugh and laugh
I'll be there to earn my pay

Can't you hear the grumbling gas-less
When their cheques are less and less
Oh I really like my primitive skateboard
Because it is gasssssssssss-less!

(ooops and sorry ... I just couldn't butt out )
Old 08-09-05, 20:23
48th Highlander

Default gas, gas,gas

Karman

Shakespeare, eat your heart out.

:
Old 08-09-05, 20:35
Vets Dottir

Default Re: gas, gas,gas

Quote:
Karman

Shakespeare, eat your heart out.

:
SURELY Master Cromie, you must have meant to say Mr. Shake Spear (I'm sure there is a bad song writer named Shake Spear!)?
Old 08-09-05, 20:58
Commonwealth NOT Europe

I'm just glad that the new job I start in three weeks time is only 5 miles from home - 10 miles round trip instead of the 70 I do now - already warned the guy in the garage to expect a drop in profits..

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 08-09-05, 21:45
Vets Dottir

I feel really badly for everyone who depends on their vehicles for everything and that these gas-gouging prices hurt