MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 08-08-06, 02:55

Default FGH: Town of Goes,Netherlands

My DIL,a first generation Canadian Dutch,says that many of her mothers family still lives in the Town of Goes, A town liberated, in part ,by the Fort Garry Horse.
I told her that my father stayed at a doctors house a few nights during the liberation.
She is going to write to them and see if they can add any info.I do not think that there were many doctors in a small town such as Goes in 1944.
This is just another step in the search of my fathers war time experince.Who knows , the doctor may be related to my DIL!?

Wish me luck in my search.

Wayne
Old 08-08-06, 03:30
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Wayne, you might have more luck than it would appear on the surface. Keep us posted!
Old 08-08-06, 07:12
Vets Dottir

I, certainly, wish you lots of luck, Wayne!!! here's hoping you learn lots.

Karmen
Old 08-08-06, 08:47
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: FGH: Town of Goes,Netherlands

Wayne...a sad note in passing.

The FGH were removed from the Canadian Forces Order of Battle by the Liberal government in order to stand up the 12 RBC FLU. ( 12 Regiment Blinde du Canada, French Language Unit).

This unit is derisively, and scornfully, referred to as the "12 Rubber Boot Company".

For shame, you Liberal Federal assassins!
Old 08-08-06, 14:32
carrier mech

The FGH still exists as a reserve unit out of Winnipeg. I joined the unit when I was 16 years old, and completed 3 years of service with it before going regular force.
Not far from the armoury, was a local beer vendor who was in Holland at the time of liberation. He would tell of the FGH using it's trucks to move food around for the civilian population. Best of all, if you went in there wearing your combats and beret, he would never ask you for ID.
Old 08-08-06, 14:36
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Drinking beer...

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
The FGH still exists as a reserve unit out of Winnipeg. I joined the unit when I was 16 years old, and completed 3 years of service with it before going regular force.
Not far from the armoury, was a local beer vendor who was in Holland at the time of liberation. He would tell of the FGH using it's trucks to move food around for the civilian population. Best of all, if you went in there wearing your combats and beret, he would never ask you for ID.
Rob
Drinking beer at 16.....
late starter,eh....
I imagine that you made up for it..
Old 08-08-06, 15:50
MLU Administrator

Default Re: FGH: Town of Goes,Netherlands

Quote:
Originally posted by wayne c. petrie
My DIL,a first generation Canadian Dutch,says that many of her mothers family still lives in the Town of Goes, A town liberated, in part ,by the Fort Garry Horse.
I told her that my father stayed at a doctors house a few nights during the liberation.
She is going to write to them and see if they can add any info.
Wayne, let me know if I can help. I used to live in Kloetinge near Goes during my high school years.
I also helped find Canadian vet Arnold Faragher his wartime billet address in Tilburg (he revisited the family in 2001).

Regards,
Hanno from Holland
Old 10-08-06, 02:44

Hi all: such great support from all you members. It is heart warming to know that people , you have never met personally ,will cheer you on and offer any support that they can to help you.
If there were more people like you folks,this world would be a lot more better off.
The letters to Goes will take some time as my DIL does not speck Dutch and the fact that her mother has passed away ,but they will get sent.
I will keep you all posted as I recieve the info.
Take care you all and thank you.

Wayne
Old 11-08-06, 23:38

Hi Wayne,

The FGH was in the Goes area for 4 days in Oct/Nov 1944. The pertinent War Diary entries appear below. Note the grid references for the three squadrons on 31 Oct.

Using the converter at this site:
http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-translator.php
You can enter the period grid references and find the present location. This should help in your search

30/10/44
Orders came today to cross the Canal and move to Sqn area West of GOES. A Squadron moved into a Dutch farm yard and took over the buildings for billets. A large farm and plenty of hay made things reasonably comfortable for us. Wet weather caused some discomfort but a liberal issue of Rum helped things considerably. The boil situation appears to be getting worse, several of the boys suffering from them lately.

31/10/44
A Sqn 374299
B Sqn 282347
C Sqn 327304
The leave boys came back this morning thoroughly rested (?) after an enjoyable 48 hrs leave. Nothing interesting to note. Weather still bad.

GOES D3429 1/11/44
A day when the weather, like a sense of smell, was a “most mixed blessing”. This was to be the quietest month the Garries had had since D-Day. But on November the First, 1944, the grim thunder of Allied and enemy guns echoed over that thin neck of land connecting SOUTH BEVELAND with WALCHEREN, Germany’s last bastien in the SCHELDT Estuary. Most of our regiment were peacefully encamped at GOES. But at 0830 hrs., Major JOYCE contacted 5th Canadian Infantry Brigade, and shortly afterward called 1st Troop, and then the whole of “B” Squadron, forward to the dyke form 219284 to 219288. From this position the Squadron carried out an indirect shoot against enemy troops on WALCHEREN and supported the CALGARY HIGHLANDERS moving out from the end of the Causeway. By noon the Squadron was low on ammunition. They were pulled out for replenishment (including lunch) along the road at 233291, and later on were posted, except for the 17 pounders, below the dyke at 223298. From an OP at 225306 fire was directed onto targetrs along the opposing dyke and in the general area 1931, with apparent good effect. By last light, the tanks were low on ammo again. They withdrew to the same harbour as on the previous night, at 216293.

GOES 2/11/44
A clear day. At 0900 hrs, “B” Sqn was ordered back to GOES. Its task with 2 Div completed, the regiment reverted to under comd of 2 CAB. SOUTH BEVELAND had been captured, and the WALCHEREN ISLAND operation commenced. Having come through a longer period of continuous operational duty than any other Canadian armoured unit, the Garries, to have a week of rest and refitting, were ordered to prepare for a move to BREDA. The Adjutant issued an SOS-vintage Movement Table, and the evening was characterized by the usual pre-trip conferences. Our headquarters arrangement had been an ideal one: all the command vehicles were under the one commodious roof: warmth and efficiency combined.

Hope it helps,

Gord Crossley
The Fort Garry Horse Museum and Archives
http://www.fortgarryhorse.ca
Old 13-08-06, 23:14

Thanks Gord for the info.It will come in handy.I can use all the info I can get.
BTW , what does TDR stand for?

Wayne
Old 13-08-06, 23:43

Hi Wayne,

I'm not sure on that one. What context is TDR used in?

Gord Crossley
http://www.fortgarryhorse.ca
Old 14-08-06, 23:31

Hi Gord,
In my fathers diary,on Feb.16/45 my father was sent to TDR to pick up new 17 pounders.

Wayne
Old 15-08-06, 00:32
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default TDR??

I'd say it probably stands for "Tank Delivery Regt."

(25CADR, the Elgin Regt.)

Bill.
Old 15-08-06, 04:57

Bill,

I would agree. The War diaries for 16 Feb 45 show the unit was engaged in maintenance, painting tactical signs and adding exteded end connectors to the tanks in the area around Cleve.

The Tank Delivery Regiment provided vehicles with or without crews as required by the front-line units.

Gord Crossley
Old 15-08-06, 23:01

Thanks guys.

Wayne