MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-08-19, 07:29

Default Aligning Centurion engine to gearbox

I'm struggling with how to align our Meteor engine to the gearbox. The manual specifies using quite an elaborate tool. The tool has a flange that bolts to the crankshaft oil seal housing face. A 2.500" round bar has a tight sliding fit in the bore of the flange hub and extends out to close to the gearbox flange, where there's another tight sliding fit flange that two dial indicators are mounted on to take face and periphery TIR measurements on the stationary gearbox input flange as the sliding fit flange is rotated.

We don't have this tool, and I can see making one will stretch my limited machining skills.

First of all, I have to make a flange that slips on the crankcase studs precisely enough to keep the 2.501" hole in the flange hub dead concentric to the crankshaft. Then I need to make the slip fit flange at the grarbox end of the shaft so that is it is also concentric to the crankshaft within a couple of thou.

Then I have to get the face and periphery runout reading within 0.010" by shimming and moving the engine mount frame, which is achievable.

Then amazingly, I just scribe around the mounting faces on the engine frame so I can replace the engine to those scribe marks after installing the clutch. But replacing the engine using scribe marks has got to be at least plus or minus 0.020" error.

I see the clutch output flange is mounted on a self aligning ball bearing so the clutch can handle some misalignment. But how much?

Has anybody been through this process?

Malcolm

Last edited by Malcolm Towrie; 29-08-19 at 07:34.