MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 18-03-10, 18:11

Default 15 cwt Spare Tire Carrier/ Tool Box

Any interest in this being transported to Acton this weekend? It has been outside for the majority of it's life and will need some major work in order to made completely serviceable. There are some rust holes in the bottom sheet metal and the hinges for the lids need to be replaced.

Despite it's shortcomings, I am pretty sure that there are some people out there that would still be interested.

Price? Let's talk.

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00320.JPG   DSC00323.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 18-03-10, 18:26
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

I think you should bring that with you this Saturday.
Old 18-03-10, 20:32

Im interested big time.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 18-03-10, 21:28

Good day all,

I've received a couple of inquiries as to my asking price. I would like to ask for approx $300 for it. I may very well be out of line but I'll explain a little.

I have been wanting to attend an OMVA-type of event for quite some time in order to get a sense of what the going prices are for CMP/ Carrier items as in the future I will be selling off some parts which are surplus to my requirements. About 2 years ago I sold off an original UC MkII Cam net bag for a price that I felt was fair. A few months later that original had been used as a basis for reproductions that were fetching 3 times the price that I had sold the original for. I don't harbour any ill feelings about that transaction but we all have expensive hobbies and don't really want to give away things for cheap prices. I am certainly not trying to get rich but I don't want to short-change myself either.

As previously stated, my asking price may be out of line but I am attempting to educate myself as to the current price for items.

Cheers,
Colin
Old 18-03-10, 22:55

My view is that sellers are welcome to ask whatever they want for an item, from pennies to the moon or more. On the other hand I can choose to buy or not. A sale will only happen if the buyer and the seller more or less agree on what constitutes reasonable. If it sells for more than I was willing to pay, either I'm cheap or the buyer "just had to have it, regardless of price". If it doesn't sell, either the seller asked too much or the right buyer didn't see it.

I can understand the frustration of seeing reproductions sold for more than you sold the model for. (although each sale might reflect the cost of acquisition/manufacture plus a similar percentage profit).
Old 18-03-10, 23:47
Banned

Default Hi Collin

I am the guy who made the copies from your original. I manufactured 10 of them altogether. I was actually selling them almost at cost. They were very time consuming and labourious to make, the canvas material was purchased in the U.S.A., and a tool shop had to manufacture and bend the steel to exact specs, as well as use an industrial sewing machine, had to hand sew around that metal. The exact stencil had to be made for the correct size etc. An endevor I would not like to go through again.

Funny enough the units for the most part have all be sold in Europe and they were tickled pink about the quality they got for the buck.

Personally, I easily would have paid you, 3 or more times what you sold your original for.

Please keep that in mind if you would like to sell any more original parts in future.

As for the spare tire carrier. I think a higher price could be realized...easily.

Cheers
Adam
Old 19-03-10, 00:10

Sent another PM
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 19-03-10, 01:52

The tool box has now been sold.