MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 29-10-22, 10:37
MLU Administrator

Default C-47 "That’s All, Brother"

Many of you probably know about the C-47 "That’s All, Brother", the C47 "which was the lead aircraft, Chalk 1 of Serial 7, and led the main airborne invasion on the eve of D-Day. She led over 800 C-47’s dropping over 13,000 paratroopers behind enemy lines in Normandy."

There is now a documentary on Netflix, well worth watching.

https://thatsallbrother.org/

https://www.planeresurrection.co.uk/thats-all-brother
Old 29-10-22, 11:57

Default Lead Aircraft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Many of you probably know about the C-47 "That’s All, Brother", the C47 "which was the lead aircraft, Chalk 1 of Serial 7, and led the main airborne invasion on the eve of D-Day. She led over 800 C-47’s dropping over 13,000 paratroopers behind enemy lines in Normandy."

There is now a documentary on Netflix, well worth watching.

https://thatsallbrother.org/

https://www.planeresurrection.co.uk/thats-all-brother
I suspect that this was the 'lead aircraft' for the two U.S. Airborne Divisions who dropped at Normandy, and that the British 6th Airborne Division had their own 'lead aircraft' as well. Mind you, can the Pathfinders in their aircraft from both nations arguably consider themselves to be the 'first' to the continent?

Last edited by Ed Storey; 29-10-22 at 22:17. Reason: Correction
Old 29-10-22, 13:15
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
Mind you, can the Pathfinders in their aircraft from both nations arguably consider themselves to be the 'first' to the continent?
The documentary mentions this, and an interview with a pilot of a C47 Pathfinder is included. "That's All, Brother" was the lead aircraft of the main US airborne contingent.

What is interesting is that this C47 was restored back to June 1944 spec as much as possible (I saw some modern instruments in the cockpit). It is the CAF's most historic aircraft, out of the 150+ they operate.
Old 30-10-22, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
a documentary on Netflix
I just looked it up on Netflix to confirm my suspicions, and indeed: that has also been shown last year or so on … not sure anymore, either Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel or History Channel (in Europe, no idea about North America or elsewhere). In any case, when I saw it on there I thought it was well worth watching.