MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 22-02-22, 07:21

Default Canadian Lynx Armored Car

Just thought I might start a new thread of some Random Canadian Lynx restoration work that is going on. There are a small few of us around the World restoring some of these unique vehicles that saw combat in Europe during the War. I know Peter D. has already restored his vehicle and has shown us that through the tread he has provided us with on this Forum. I will probably show some of the more detailed mechanical parts in maybe a bit more in depth look at how parts were made, (It's Called "Train Spotting") and maybe show some of the differences between the MK1 and MK2 as a reference , will just see how it goes and maybe after a year or so, there maybe quite a file of stuff to refer back to . Feel free to add comment or maybe help in sourcing some parts from around the World for All of us.

Today we start with the Hydraulic clutch Master cylinder that is used on the MK1 Lynx .( MK2 uses mechanicals , ie. cables, etc for the operation of various aspects of the vehicle.)
First pic is of the components and second of unit together with actuating lever. Unit runs 1&1/4" dia. cup on the piston , main shaft is 7/8" dia.
Last picture shows a return spring for the Clutch slave , that we are trying to source , is 182mm in overall length, which is next on the list.....
Cheers From The Tank Factory.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3292.jpg   DSCF3294.jpg   DSCF3281.jpg  
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart
Old 22-02-22, 18:06

Fantastic idea. I look forward to seeing what will be posted and I wish I could contribute.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 22-02-22, 19:44

Default one thing I learned

I run on runflats on my lynx and i pulled this tube because it had the wrong valve stem. you can see how this 900x16 tube folded and creased itself to fit inside the very thick runflats, as i had a full set of 650/750/825x16 tubes i baby powdered up one and installed it and after inflating and deflating i was happier with how it fit. so i pulled all four and replaced them. proper valve stem and no creasing, all the others had similar folds and creases, it's just a much smaller cavity inside than regular 900x16 NDCC
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4184.jpg  
Old 23-02-22, 08:10

Thanks Jordan and Harry , good useful input , although I will be running standard 8 -ply military tires , but I do have a brand new set of war time tires in excellent condition , run flat , that I might put on one of the Lynx's. I don't if you picked up on it , but actually building 4 x Lynx's.
Today I had a look at the clutch slave , trying to figure the cylinder return spring length, finally I think we have a brake through and have discovered that I was using the wrong length pushrod to work this one out. New length is 11",
instead of the 7&1/2" one I had , this shorter one is for the Larger "Indian Patterned Wheeled Carrier" rear engine chassis , of which I am associated with as well, as shown in picture. Cheers from The Tank Factory.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3304.jpg   DSCF3281.jpg  
M3 Stuart
Old 26-02-22, 01:42

Default Commendation

Andrew,

Off to a great start ! Promises to be a regular read as you progress. FOUR Lynxes is quite a challenge.

Looking forward to your updates.

Peter
Old 26-02-22, 05:43

Thanks Peter, I have not "Officially Started" , but just tinkering away on various components , I hope my postings can compliment what you have done.
Today we can look inside the differential of the Mk2 Lynx. This runs a 40 tooth and 6 pinion axle , based on Ford 3 ton truck. The crown wheel is standard in that respect with the 6.66 ratio, however the axle housings have brackets for the big shock absorbers that are iconic to the Lynx , axle shafts are standard 16 spines as similar to Bren Carriers.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2311.jpg   DSCF2335.jpg   DSCF2339.jpg   DSCF2343 - Copy (3).jpg   DSCF2296.jpg  

M3 Stuart
Old 26-02-22, 06:19

Hi Andrew, Am I correct you are going to do 4, FOUR or these at once??😮
Old 26-02-22, 19:22

Hi Colin, YES , that is correct, I actually had a 5th , but pulled the reins back a bit as I did not have enough mechanical parts for it , chassis was a bit buggered anyway! ( 3 x MK1 & 1 x MK2 )
A few more pictures of the MK2 Diff during assembly , all parts being totally stripped and new bearings / seals applied. Second pic shows the pinion as pulled apart. In the first picture you will see the end results awaiting their final cleanup and paint. In the top of the rack you will see a MK1 Diff awaiting it's rebuild. The Mk1 is based on lighter 1 ton Ford components, but I will go into that a bit more in depth when we get to those ones, Cheers from The Tank Factory.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2373.jpg   DSCF2347.jpg   DSCF2349.jpg   DSCF2350.jpg   DSCF2352.jpg  

M3 Stuart
Old 09-03-22, 06:41

Default Lynx Steering Box

Today we have a look at the inside workings of the Lynx steering box. The main difference between a MK1 and Mk2 is the steering ratio. It takes 2 full turns of the steering wheel to achieve full lock in either direction on a MK1 Lynx and 1&1/2 Turns for the MK2. The bearings used are NU304E.TVP2 which is basically a paraelle roller used for the end of the sector shaft , and for the main worm shaft the Timken combination of 35-BC and 38X . Also of note it looks like they upgraded the 3 x main mount bolts from 7/16" unc to 1/2" unc.
Cheers from The Tank Factory.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3375.jpg   DSCF3377.jpg  
M3 Stuart
Old 09-03-22, 08:49
Darryl

Default Lynx

Hi Andrew,

An interesting thread. I note the similarities between the Lynx clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder and the (Ford) M8/M20 throttle master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
20181210_145748.jpg   20200326_184227.jpg   20200206_145511.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car
Old 09-03-22, 22:51
Rick Cove

Hi Andrew, What a job, doing 4 x Lynx restorations. This is the story of my restoration of Hull 1726. It is not technical like yours is but might also help others.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23906

I am looking forward to sorting out my last few problems and will watch your story with interest.

Regards Rick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r6eoet7apnyz.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	127826
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 10-03-22, 05:56

Thanks Rick, your thread has heaps of relevant information for this Vehicle. The majority of mine were Ex-Australian , so match along with your DOD contracts.
Just re-capping from Post 4, with regards to the return spring for the clutch slave. 4 x NOS originals turned up Today , so we can now tell that they are 11" long . When I do the final assembly in the chassis, that will also confirm the length of the push rod , Cheers Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3381.jpg  
M3 Stuart
Old 19-03-22, 05:55

Default Lynx Speedo

Today we jump to the Lynx speedo. I was looking at a post that Harry Moon was saying that he was going to look into his speedo situation, so thought I might put up a few technical bits of information with regards to the speedo.
Mk1 and Mk2 Lynx run the same speedo face. The drive gear originates from the transfer case and is cut on an opposite handed direction compared to the standard F15 single speed transfer case one. This is shown in the photo, the R/H one is standard F15 and L/H one is Lynx. As far as I can tell Mk1 and Mk2 use the same gear cut. The reason for this would be that the engine is mounted in the rear of the vehicle, so turning the transfer case in the opposite direction as opposed to the standard CMP truck with engine up front. The driven gear is a 15 tooth with part number 205052 , but is referenced as C19SR-17271 part number. The Mk2 Lynx uses a 16 tooth gear with part number 205039 , and is referenced by C29SR - 17271. The different gear ratio's come about because the MK1 uses a 5.83 differential ratio and the Mk2 uses a 6.66 ratio. Tire sizes on both model of Lynx' are the same, originally
9.20 x 16 , but today we just use the standard 9.00 x 16 , although I am thinking of using some NOS 1942 Dated 10.50 x 16 on my Mk2 , as the tires are in perfect condition, and they are runflats also. Cheers from The Tank Factory.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3410.jpg  
M3 Stuart

Last edited by Andrew Rowe; 22-03-22 at 19:45. Reason: Updated Information
Old 20-03-22, 04:24

Default speedo gear

while my ideal solution would be getting that lynx gear, (the original seems long lost before i got it), so my backup plan is to squeeze in a reverser at the transfer case because i discovered running the speedo cable backwards and reversing the rotation at the speedometer resulted in a cable failure within miles. but it's tight in there and the one i just happened to have is to big. haven't worried to much about it so far. but i will gitter done at some point.
Old 20-03-22, 05:48

Default Speedo Gear

Hi Harry, I am calling into a very clever local machinist this week, so might see if he can make a couple of these gears. This guy has made complete engines for WW1 aircraft from scratch , which includes making crankshafts from very expensive billets of special steel! Cheers Andrew.
M3 Stuart
Old 20-03-22, 05:58

Default Lynx Electrical Components

I was just playing around with a couple of these electrical components today.
At the top of the picture is a nice NOS master battery switch , made by Bepco Canada Ltd. , then we have the voltage divider that mounts on the inside of the engine compartment against the firewall, this splits 12volt to six volt for the gauges. The Lynx uses 2 x 6 volt batteries to make the 12volts. The last item is the Autolite regulator , model number VRH 4106B , this is 12 volt @ 50amps rated, Cheers from The Tank Factory.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3412.jpg  
M3 Stuart
Old 21-03-22, 03:47

Default great initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rowe View Post
Hi Harry, I am calling into a very clever local machinist this week, so might see if he can make a couple of these gears. This guy has made complete engines for WW1 aircraft from scratch , which includes making crankshafts from very expensive billets of special steel! Cheers Andrew.
I'm in if it happens.
Old 22-03-22, 20:19

Just updated post 13 , as we have discovered the gear cut angle goes to the right, and an F15 gear cut is opposite to this , so this rotational change must still be happening because of the rear mounted engine in the Lynx and CMP mounted ones at the front of the vehicle. One on the Left is correct for Lynx. Cheers Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3410.jpg  
M3 Stuart
Old 22-03-22, 22:06
Bluebell

So Andrew, The driven gears in your photos appear to be the same? Does the Lynx output casting cater for this (sits at an angle?) to allow use of the same gear or is the correct driven gear not shown? Just asking.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 23-03-22, 06:38

Default Speedo Driven Gear Output

The two driven gears are MK 1 and MK 2 , being 15 teeth and 16 teeth. The cast casing cap sits at an angle, that takes these gears, and looking at the transfer case side where the speedo output shaft comes out, it sits roughly at a 45 degree angle and is on the right hand as you look at it. The speedo shaft ends up rotating anti-clockwise, which in turns makes the speedo dial face run the correct way, Cheers Andrew.
M3 Stuart
Old 23-03-22, 11:08

I think that Lynn's point was that the two driven gears in the photo in post # 18 look as if they have the same helix angle and direction. The drive gears have opposite helix angles so the driven gear would not mesh with the Lynx one if they were carried in the same casing as a truck. Is the Lynx casing different to the truck one ?

David
Old 23-03-22, 18:13

Good point David , but as far as I can tell the casing that holds the truck driven gear exits from a similar position, in relation to the transfer case. Which looking at the case is on the R/H side, as this cast cap is up against the de-clutch unit of the transfer case and the only available space for the output of the speedo drive would be on the right , the angle cut to the driven gear on a truck is cut opposite to the two Lynx ones I show in post 18, Cheers Andrew.
M3 Stuart

Last edited by Andrew Rowe; 23-03-22 at 18:18. Reason: Updated Information