MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-10-06, 01:41
Researcher

Default Pennfield Ridge & Camp Utopia

I am currently researching two former military training facilities in eastern Charlotte County, New Brunswick...

1) former BCATP/RCAF air station Pennfield Ridge (#2 A.N.S / #34 O.T.U.) 1941-1945
2) former Canadian Advanced Infantry Training Centre, Camp Utopia (A-30) 1940-1955

..both of these military facilities were located east of the town of St. George, NB and butted against each other (Pennfield airfield was southeast of Camp Utopia). Pennfield Ridge hosted aircraft such as the Avro Anson and Lockheed Ventura, early marks on both. 60+ airmen died while on training at Pennfield. 8th Hussars, Royal 22e Regiment, Royal Army Pay Corps, were just a few of the groups that trained at Utopia. Today, only foundations, a few servicable firing ranges and runways remain where thosands of men lived and trained.

I am looking for anyone with information (first hand accounts from servicemen or even pilots that flew into Pennfield with Trans-Canada Airlines during the early 1950s), or photographs of these two facilities.

A few URL are below... sorry I haven't updated them in a very long time:
http://www.geocities.com/blacksharbour/pennfield.html
http://www.geocities.com/blacksharbour/utopia.html
Old 22-10-06, 01:56

hi jason

small world!! i have some information on both facilities, which include a truck and some pics from utopia. if you take a 20 minute drive up highway 1 you'll find a quiet fishing villiage known as maces bay, where i'm located. pm me if interested

cheers!!
mike