MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 12-08-09, 12:57

Default BSA Folding Airborne Bicycle

Hello to all

I was just cruising cyberspace looking for some more info on the BSA Folding Bicycle when I came across your Forum. I have recently had the good fortune to purchase 2 bicycles (I sold the first one just recently) and I was wondering if I could get some opinions from the restorers out there.

The bike that I have decided to stick with is painted green and when I bought the bike I thought it was a little strange that there was green overspray on the grips. I thought maybe just a hurried paint job on assembly. But on closer inspection, I can just make out the Decals that are supposed to be visible under the paint. After looking on your Forum at a bike being restored, and reading some of the responses, it looks like I have a "service brown" bike under the green paint. What I initialy thought was rust is actually brown paint visible (and some rust).

My question to those who might be reading is what are your felings on stripping off all paint and going back to the original colour Brown. I am torn. I have been told to keep it as original as possible, but technically it has already been re-painted. I assume the green was done by the Army at some point, but hard to say. I have gotten duplicate decals for the Bike. Should I just apply them on the green and live with the grips having the overspray on them. Do I repaint and get reproduction grips and apply the decals on the Brown Instead. HELP.....Also, would anybody know what and where I can get "Service Brown" paint in spraycans if I go that route?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for your time....
Old 12-08-09, 13:22

Knowing what country you are in will help.
Old 12-08-09, 15:23

Sorry, I guess I have to update my info (newbie). I am in Canada, but willing to go to great lengths for the right thing.
Old 12-08-09, 16:32

Default Country???

Your post says Ontario, Canada at the top. Hmmmmmm

Paint will be a problem but why not strip it and repaint it. Probably come out great. How many MB's are kept as found because "under the paint there is original Army paint. Go for it and make it a winter project.
I have one of those bikes. Post some photos.

Simundson........Mississauga.