MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 29-09-08, 13:35
VK3HO

Default C60 Transfer case or F60 ?

Hi all,Can anyone tell me if the Ford and the Chev transfer cases are the same?I have pulled one out of a Chev apart and found that it has been running in grease no oil.As a result,apart from grinding paste on the bearings,i removed the shims on one of the caps for the end play of the shaft and still had .015" too much.I have decided to use another transfer case but i think it came out of an F60 so hence the question.I have 2 C60's still with a cases sitting in them but i am trying to keep them with the trucks.I have been really sick with the flu last 2 weeks so i have not been working on the resto but better now, so full steam ahead. John Stokes
Old 29-09-08, 14:35

John,
there are a couple of differences between Ford and Chev T/Cases, if you do a search in this forum there was a discussion on this a couple of years back. However,as far as I can remember, the Ford will go into the Chev, but not the other way around. Certainly be worth looking at anyway.
Rich.
Old 29-09-08, 17:56
former Resident Historian

Default Differences

I wille check to see if I have the thread[s] archived. The castings differed it seems. Initially it was intended that McKinnon Industries Ltd in St Catherines would produce all cases but that was at the time that Fords were to produce all cabs, 4x4 GM driveline components, etc. abd it was found that this simply would not work. My belief is that the Windsor Axle Plant was asked to produce Ford transfer cases.
Old 29-09-08, 23:49
Pops

the main difference is that on fords the shift tower mounting bracket is bolted to the transfer case and on chevs the tower mounting bracket is mounted to a chassie cross member. we have put a ford case in a chev
Max
Old 30-09-08, 14:13
VK3HO

Default C60 transfer case

I have a slack day tomorrow so i will take out a C60 t/case and sit it beside the one out of the Ford that will tell me i guess.I also have a single speed T/case out of the C15a so i will have a three way comparison.