MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 18-08-06, 17:49
David Gordon

Default T16 Parts Fabrication

This originated over on the Tracked section of the G503 site but wanted to get the information out to people here since its obviously where the carrier people hang out

We're looking into having some of the engine covers fabricated since several people need them and no NOS parts are out there. Place here in Austin has my originals for patterns and says they can offer about a five day turn around. Prices listed below are examples for 1 item and if five were made. They say prices would continue to drop for higher quanities if ordered at one time.

Rod in AZ was having the slotted covers produced at one time but is now out and his fabrication people aren't making them anymore. Plus it was taking him up to nine months to get things when they were interested in doing the work.

T16 large engine covers: 1=$105 and 5=$85 each.

T16 small engine covers: 1=$100 and 5=$80 each.

T16 Slotted Engine Compartment Top Cover 1=$225 and 5=$175 each

A collective order helps everyone if they need the parts or want to get some for future resale at a higher price.

I need four large engine covers , two small engine covers and a new slotted engine top cover. I know another person needing the same quantities. Anyone else in need of anything?
Old 19-08-06, 01:09
T-16, C15A

Default HORNS

David,

Thanks for going to the time and effort to get some reproductions done, and for offering others the spare bits. Some folks might think that these prices are a bit steep - but those folks have not been to a custom fabrication shop lately. Any place that will work with you and do runs as small as 5 parts is worth what they charge.

I have nice side covers - but I don't have a place to hang my tow chain. The darm swiss guy who 'helped' me out forgot to throw the cable stowage horns into the stowage box for me when he was working on my machine those many moons ago.

If your friend the metalbender can figure out how to make this part ( 2 required ) I know a fellow up in Canada that would take a set. ( Me ).

Thanks again, and good luck with your restoration.

Stewart
Old 19-08-06, 18:58
In Vino Veritas

Default Vented Panels

When you say vented do you mean louvered or perforated? If louvered would you mind putting me in contact with the metal man so I can see if he can make me a louvered engine panel for a 1944 Allis Chalmers M7 Snowtractor. Also, I do need 4 engine panels for a MII carrier.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 19-08-06, 19:09
David Gordon

Midwest Parts

Link above shows a place that already makes the UC MK II engine covers. Looks like the 4-piece upper set will cost you $395 and the lower four individual covers are $72 each.

Sort'a makes Stewart's point that the prices I posted earlier for single items being fabricated isn't really all that bad in comparison. And we can get them a lot lower if other people need the same parts made in a single production run.

On the top engine cover I had mentioned, it is a large piece of flat metal with multiple rows of milled ventilation slots in it. Not louvered.

And we'll be looking into having the recovery cable horns made once I can locate the right kind of channel metal they used in the originals. Thing the flared edges would be hard to make in the raw metal prior to bending but might also be the only way to do them. Its the same metal used for the headlight mount and guard. Know three people that need the horns now.
Old 25-08-06, 21:40
David Gordon

This parts run is closed out now. We have ordered five of the small and ten of the large engine access panel covers. All of these are spoke for so if you need any and didn't jump in with this order, I can pass on the name of the shop and you can contract with them to have others made directly. Just tell them what they quoted us in the top message and they will probably honor the prices based on the quantity. Ten of the large covers made them $80 each instead of the mentioned $85 per five.

We will be looking at other places to try and get a better price for the slotted cover. If in need of one, at least let me know as we're still looking for other people to help keep the production costs down.

Thanks
Old 26-08-06, 00:48
Dave Demorrow

hey dave i need the following for my T-16 project. repo engine covers, repo engine, tracks, road wheels, armor kit, lower hull armor, rear end, drivers seat, all the brackets, instermet cluster, and bat box, and other odds and ends.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 26-08-06, 01:16
David Gordon

Sorry Dave,

We just placed an order for sixteen reproduction engines and twenty seven complete sets of reproduction tracks. They don't want to build anything else for us after that. We were going to try and have a few reproduction drivers fabricated but looks like there is no way to have them speed grown. Costs too much to keep feeding them when you start from scratch and the vehicles end up rusting out long before the reproduction driver is big enough to climb over the armor wall.

Maybe we can sort out some of your other needs in the next call for people needing parts.

Sorry to have missed your latest show. Was stuck dealing with issues related to older daugher starting high school and younger daughter starting Pre-K. Something you get to look forward to
Old 26-08-06, 01:30
Dave Demorrow

no prob, the show was great but the 105 temp kinda hurt it a little. total walk ins 755. but LOTS of money. some guys even brought shoping carts!!!! i got a nice G3 for $450.00 and just missed the $600.00 M-1A1 (semi M-14) that walked through the door. next show will be nov 18th with setup and dealer sales on the 17th. the 4th ID will be back then so i think the numbers will be back up by then.

the Texas airborne assn got 2 new guys and the Zimmermans got 1 guy i think. the french picked up another guy as well.
dave
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 14-09-06, 17:49
David Gordon

Wanted to follow up this thread with shots of the completed panels that we had made. Everything matches up as per the originals. Now I just have to make time to get the larger engine compartment housing walls sand blasted for painting.