MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 15-12-10, 05:32
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default sewing stuff

The pulley system i made to slow down the sewing machine.. works very well. I turned up the small pullies on my lathe ..for the A section Belt.

the machine turns over at about 5 rpm now ..instead of 1500

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
folding 001.jpg   folding 002.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 15-12-10, 05:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Sewing

Nice work Mike

So can we bring our sewing work to you now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
The pulley system i made to slow down the sewing machine.. works very well. I turned up the small pullies on my lathe ..for the A section Belt.

the machine turns over at about 5 rpm now ..instead of 1500

Mike

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 16-12-10, 16:26

Default Tell us more.....

Hi Mike

What were the issues you were addressing....too fast or needed more power/torque..?

Can we see a full picture of the complete machine.... brand...etc.

I assume you are not set up to do doyllies but real heavy canvass.... how many thicknesses once folded over in corners can it handle....?

Any risk of increasing the torque with the reducer and breaking inner parts on the sewing machine....??

Bob C.
Canada
Old 17-12-10, 02:07
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default machine

OK bob

My machine is a Jap copy of the famous Singer 111W series .. the 111 is the classic auto trimmers machine .. from the 1940's era . CONSEW or Seiko copied it and many of the Jap parts will interchange with SINGER.

The 111 machines are ubiquitous .. made in USA and Germany , the German version is 111G and USA is 111W ... they come in many variants ... most of them are walking foot ... this means the foot drags the work throught he machine .. eg for canvas .

Needles and most spares are very easy to buy . Mine will sew through 6 layers of 16 oz canvas .. thats about 3/8" thick !

The other classic machine widely used around here is the SINGER K6 or 132 K6 . This is a heavier machine than the 111 series and many pros use them .

I made the pullies to slow the machine down..not for torque. In factories , these machines are made for speed......speed = money . But it takes ages to adjust to the fast speed .. for a beginner its a nightmare .

The other 111 copy is the JUKI LU 563 .. considered to be the best copy .... it has a larger bobbin , which means less changing of the bobbin . The other makes like mine have a smaller bobbin ....but there are so many variations .

If the machine is overloaded or jams there is a clutch that comes in.....but I have bent a few needles trying to sew thick nylon strapping .. they are virtually indestructable .....

check this link http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/...ngers/111w.htm

MIKE
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 17-12-10 at 03:04.
Old 17-12-10, 02:23
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Nice work Mike

So can we bring our sewing work to you now?
At the VMVC club XMAS do last Sunday ....I met a club member who is a motor trimmer by trade ..down DROMANA way he lives . he's doing some stuff for members .... canvas tops etc.... forgot his name
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 17-12-10, 04:01

Default Thanks Mike

Will need to chat with our "steam guy" who is in to sewing machines to see what equivalent we have on this side of the frozen pond.

Guy...... are you listening...?

Bob
Canada
Old 17-12-10, 21:52

Default sewing stuff

I have 4 of these singer sewing machines. I have two table models and two open arm......Everything I have read above is consistent with what is available in Canada. I have disposed of newer machines but will not part with my 111.....s
Old 18-12-10, 04:05

Default I have been a good boy....

Guy.....

....will you sell one to Joyce for my Xmas gift....????
Canada
Old 18-12-10, 16:18
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyvapeur View Post
I have 4 of these singer sewing machines. I have two table models and two open arm......Everything I have read above is consistent with what is available in Canada. I have disposed of newer machines but will not part with my 111.....s
Last summer I visited Guy's house to do so sewing on tentage. He had about 100sq feet of sewing machines on a table. Some were going to be saved, the rest weren't getting anymore houseroom. He had a few good machines in the garage, including one that I thought could be as dangerous as a bandsaw if a finger got in the wrong place.

Slightly different topic, Guy also demonstrated a really clever woodstove built from a 20 lb propane tank. Chunks, branches and scrap goes in a chute on the top edge, and are completely consumed by the fire.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 20-12-10, 02:39

Default Wood stove

Terry
Could we have a picture of the wood stove as I am keen to make some thing like this for the shed.
Mike
What size needle are you using on your sewing machine?

Regards
Jim S.
Old 26-12-10, 21:41

Default Sewing Stuff

There is a wealth of information on the web about the Singer industrial machines. I use #21 135x17 needles on my machines along with T120 thread. For canvas I use a dual duty (Coates*) thread. My undertanding is that this thread is polyester core with cotton outer. The cotton protects the polyester from sun damage and swells up when wet to waterproof the seam. I have no formal training but I have spent endless evenings testing various materials to thread/needle combinations.

Bob C............in response to your request for a sewing machine for Christmas, I have been advised that you have been naughty over the last year and the machine will have to wait.

Re: Wood burning stove.
I have researched the net for *gasifier stoves*, *volcano stoves*, and *rocket stoves*. As a result my prototype stove is made from two cylinders. The inner cylinder is a 20 lb propane bottle with a 4 inch hole in the bottom and approx 24 .375 in. holes on the upper rim approx. 2 inches from the 10 inch opening at the top. The propane cylinder sits on 6 in. legs. The propane tank is then lowered into another cylinder (water tank) which is approx. 2 in wider than the propane bottle. The outer cylinder has an opening at the bottom to regulate air intake. The top of the outer cylinder has a 4x4 in opening to allow wood to be put into the inner cylinder. It also contains the cooking surface and chimney outlet. The stove is so built as to allow the combustion air to enter from the bottom. Air also circulates between the walls of the two cylinders and is heated. As this air rises to the .375 in. holes of the propane cylinder, it is mixed with unburnt gases and causes what may be called secondary combustion. ***this type of stove is not meant to be left unattended for long periods of time..... it must be replenished often. However, you can easily regulate heat.... and after use in a hunt camp for 1 week, we took out a couple of handfuls of fly ash....

Last edited by guyvapeur; 27-12-10 at 00:24. Reason: edit/add info
Old 27-12-10, 15:43

Default Who ratted on me......???

..... I was not THAT naughty!!!!!!

How about a picture of that rocket engine stove......?

the barn fella !!!!
Canada