MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-10-13, 19:13
British Indian Army

Default 2 wheel drive.

I am considering restoring a 15cwt CMP that I have presently in bits and was wondering about only having it rear wheel drive. Are there any problems I need to consider? I have a Ford 01T front axle which I had considered using in place of the driven Ford one. Should reduce weight, and increase mpg a wee bit not to mention make the steering lighter! Any thoughts from you Cmp experts?

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 30-10-13, 22:15

Default How Much Off Roading

Hi Nigel

The real question is how much really hard off roading do you plan to do? The 2 wheel drive versions of CMPs have about the same ground clearance. Accept for really deep sand or snow I don't really get to use the 4x4 drive of my CMPs on anything you could class as a road. Most of the time on trail rides when the jeeps are shifting in 4x4 my HUP is just slogging along in 1st or 2nd gear in 2 wheel drive.

Some of the videos of Corowa, Australia would indicate they do pretty well.

Youtube C15 videos of interest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ivoJ6mKLU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDgPjzLZF1k Corowa teaser

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 31-10-13, 01:02
British Indian Army

Default Off road

Hi Phil
Don't plan to do any off road work with it unless someone needs rescued from the heather! Will see how the axles fit first, should be same or similar, but won't know until I try them.

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 31-10-13, 04:12

Go get an F15...... and install White Scout Car crown wheel and pinion in the diff. Ups the road speed, and no front diff to push. It's not visible to the outside world, so the truck remains looking like a faithful restoration.

If you want to go the whole way, take out the 239ci SV and install an OHV & auto transmission, then put it on 20 inch CMP wheels. Very quick truck, but of course, no longer an authentic vehicle restoration.

Mike C
Old 31-10-13, 06:47

Thats cheating Mike!
Old 31-10-13, 07:16

Default Could work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Watson View Post
Hi Phil
Don't plan to do any off road work with it unless someone needs rescued from the heather! Will see how the axles fit first, should be same or similar, but won't know until I try them.

Nigel
Very interested to see how it goes Nigel. Rear Diff (or final drive) in a F15A is off centre, the F15 2WD Diff is in the middle.

Gear box mounts up differently as well, due to absence of tranfer case and associated bits.
Old 31-10-13, 08:09
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post
Very interested to see how it goes Nigel. Rear Diff (or final drive) in a F15A is off centre, the F15 2WD Diff is in the middle.

Gear box mounts up differently as well, due to absence of tranfer case and associated bits.
Wouldn't matter if only changing front end on a F15A chassis . Would leave transfer case and associated parts in with front yolk not connected to anything. Just a bit more noise

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 31-10-13, 13:58
British Indian Army

Default sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Go get an F15...... and install White Scout Car crown wheel and pinion in the diff. Ups the road speed, and no front diff to push. It's not visible to the outside world, so the truck remains looking like a faithful restoration.

If you want to go the whole way, take out the 239ci SV and install an OHV & auto transmission, then put it on 20 inch CMP wheels. Very quick truck, but of course, no longer an authentic vehicle restoration.

Mike C
Was actually considering spacers and lowering the springs with wider tyres!! Then there is the paintwork ha ha!

Seriously though want to be respectful to it and keep it as close to original as possible whilst at the same time make it easier to drive and take out to events etc.

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 31-10-13, 14:04
British Indian Army

Default unless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post

Will need to check which mine is. Do have a rear axle with central diff from my 01T truck...mmm I wonder if its the same? I feel a wander round my wee yard coming on. (compared to your backyards that is!!)

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 31-10-13, 17:13

Nigel the steering stays the same , if it is in 2 wheel drive . Chev`s steer very light anyway , and saving petrol is minimal . The transfer case has some resistance wich is more than the front axle which is just free running.
At least when you have the 4x4 option , it is easyer to drive up on to a low loader if needed . I have seen A quad struggling to go up a ramp , because it didn`t have a front prop shaft .
Old 31-10-13, 17:18

In all seriousness, Nigel, if you are not going to use it anywhere but on roads, and want it to still look authentic, then why not remove the entire front diff centre and axles, but leave the housing - reduces weight and the loss of power by the front wheels 'driving' the front diff. Combine this with the White Scout Car rear diff component change I suggested before. I had an F15 with that conversion, and it worked quite well.

The F15 and F15A have quite different front spring setups, so changing diffs and putting in a beam axle would, I think, look a little obvious.

The 01T truck has, I think, a far slower diff ratio than the F15A's 6.65:1, if my memory serves me well), so changing the rear axle for that would not serve your purpose.

Balancing the original motor also reduced vibration and harmonics, and ran more smoothly: a far more pleasant truck to drive.

Mike C
Old 01-11-13, 09:42

Default 2 or 4

would it not be easier to swap your F15A for a F15 and enjoy the ride, the 2 wheel original setup will surprise you in where it will go and let someone who would like the heavier 4x4 as is. [ my 4x4 is 2.8t, 4x2 is 2.4t ]
Old 01-11-13, 23:38
British Indian Army

Default This is what I love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNeill View Post
would it not be easier to swap your F15A for a F15 and enjoy the ride, the 2 wheel original setup will surprise you in where it will go and let someone who would like the heavier 4x4 as is. [ my 4x4 is 2.8t, 4x2 is 2.4t ]
You see this is what makes MLU so good. Ideas and expertise, you can't get any better than that. Thanks Mike for suggestions and comments about 01T.
Bob would love a F15 but not one about for sale, you going to send yours over for me?

Ach well we'll see what transpires in the next couple of weeks.

Nigel
Probably should have stuck with carriers!

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 02-11-13, 07:02

Default unlucky

Nigel, boy are you out of luck, all mine are CHEV, took it over in 94 and nobody wanted it so it came back. Of course if you BOUGHT it and sponsor me I,ll bring it back for next year.
Old 02-11-13, 10:56
British Indian Army

Default Normandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNeill View Post
Nigel, boy are you out of luck, all mine are CHEV, took it over in 94 and nobody wanted it so it came back. Of course if you BOUGHT it and sponsor me I,ll bring it back for next year.
You not driving over for Normandy 75th commemorations. Could just pick it up then! Lol

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer