MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-05-03, 22:19
former Resident Historian

Default Fargo for sale in NL

Paul Caris has emailed me with the serial number of the Fargo he has for sale in the Netherlands. Serial # 91,148,612 is in the batch 91.148,581 to 91,149,380, 1941-45 Models for the Canadian Government, and is a Dodge D60L/DD Model T-110-L-12 160" wheelbase. I assume that post-war she was refurbished and sold as a "Fargo".
Old 27-05-03, 22:51

Default Re: Fargo for sale in NL

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
I assume that post-war she was refurbished and sold as a "Fargo".
David,
According the the War Office Data Book issued during the war, some Dodge trucks were Fargos, I quote, "Some Dodge models are made in the Fargo factories, hence Dodge-Fargo".

Richard
Old 27-05-03, 23:29
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Fargo for sale in NL

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
I assume that post-war she was refurbished and sold as a "Fargo".
David, remember the FL-4? Refresh your memory by clicking here....
Old 27-05-03, 23:40

Default That's the thread!

Thanks Hanno...I couldn't find the thread. This truck's serial number indicates that in theory it was a Canadian Government order T-110-L-12, and a Dodge, but it could easily have been badged as a Fargo. Note that I checked the Fargo Trucks serial numbers and it is not listed in them, nor in the De Soto Trucks either. It is neither listed in the complete sequential car number series either, so it's an "extra" as a Government order. Then again the serial number listing for all trucks, US and Canadian does not include certain British orders either! NOTE: I have just confirmed that De Soto and Fargo versions of Dodge trucks were sold by Chrysler-Plymouth dealers in Canada, as presumably Dodge dealers sold Dodge cars and trucks.

I remember seeing an Aussie advert for Dodge, Fargo and De Soto trucks showing the slight differences in front end design. De Soto trucks are I believe STILL being made in Turkey [or were until recently], though I am sure that someone advised that Chrysler had had nothing to do with them for ywars. The photos I have seen of modern trucks confirms that they had the Chrysler pentastar badge on the front though.
Old 28-05-03, 03:03
Greybeard Member

Default Dodge vs Fargo

Hello there

According to 'Mobilized', the War History of the Chrysler Corporation, Fargo was "the Chrysler division which sells and services Corporation-made cars and trucks in commercial fleet corporations and deals with the Army".

Steve
Old 06-06-03, 21:08

Default DeSoto and Fargo Trucks still in production

It seems that overseas Chrysler-Plumouth dealers sold Fargo Trucks and DeSoto dealers DeSoto Trucks. However in Turkey, 40 kms from Istanbul, DeSoto and Fargo Trucks are still being produced by Akram Kamyon!
Old 09-06-03, 17:10

Default I wonder if.....

Bonjour David

If and I say If they are still producing Chrysler products under the Desoto and Fargo names would they be producing 2003 Dodge vehicle/trucks or using old dies and producing older version of dodge trucks???? waht I am hoping is that they would be producing some of the more ruggerd version of Chrysler trucks..... therefore availability of new sheet metal.... for such veterans as the Dodge Power Wagon 4X4....

I tried a search under Akram Kamyon using various Search engines with no results..... mind you mmy knowledge of whatever language is spoken in Turkey is zilsch!!!!

Any suggestions????

Thanks
Canada
Old 09-06-03, 20:12

Default Askam Kamyon Ýmalat ve Ticaret A.Þ.

B'jour! Comment ca va aujourd'hui?

The full name of the company is Askam Kamyon Ýmalat ve Ticaret A.Þ., and the website in English is
http://www.chryslerkamyon.com.tr/ana/default.asp

The trucks do not appear to be anything to do with Dodge designs but I have no information on recent Dodge trucks..they also assemble Japanese Hino trucks as well as DeSoto and Fargo.
Old 10-06-03, 03:01

Default Ca va bien merci.....

Hi David

I was hoping for tooooo much... I checked out the site... no luck..

You know how some companies in India... to give an example.. have bought out licenses to produce old model of tires... of the old one cylinder 1920 type gas engines... and a fairly good reproduction of the Massey Ferguson 135 tractor.... well I was hoping that such a firm might be producing some of the hard to find sheet metal for the Dodge Power Wagon..... known as the "flat fender" model.... that is the civilian 1947 to 1967ish quasi military 4x4 model..... it had the left over military flat fenders of the WC 52 with a 1947 civilian cab.

Good sheet metal is getting hard to find and the demand too low for limited run repros companies to be interested. Most of the existing survivors have had a very rough life as 4x4 or here in Canada been exposed to salt on the winter roads.

Well I will get back to my CMP....strangely they existed before much salt was used..... and got replaced by modern machines early enough to be relegated to outlying area.... logging camps etc and of course the steel was thicker....... a lot escaped the dreaded salt....

Thanks for your help.
Canada
Old 10-06-03, 08:30

Default Gobble gobble!

Strangely enough Turkey is the one place to find spare parts for US vehicles. The Kamyon company manufactured the 2000 DeSoto Power Wagon! They might be worth trying to see if they manufactured spare parts for older models. Chrysler set up the company in 1963 it seems, and thus after DeSoto had died evrywhere else!
Old 19-05-04, 22:08
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra in Dodge 15-cwt or 3-ton swb?
Ad found on MilWeb:

"Rare 1945 Canadian Dodge (Fargo) D60l 3 Ton 4x2
Needs restoration but very complete and original, price 4000,- Euro sent e-mail fore pictures
0031 774 773389
Paul <pcaris@wxs.nl> 16 April '03
"

As the seller lives in the Netherlands, I would not be surprised to learn this is the very same Fargo FL-4 Maurice saw in Belgium last year....
This D60L, or FL-4 rather, is re-advertised for sale in the June 2004 issue of Classic Military Vehicle magazine.