MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-04-04, 12:06

Default Flanders Fields

Today marks the anniversary of the Canadian baptism of fire in World War One. On April 22, the cloud of chlorine washed over the Allied troops in the Ypres salient. Canada's First Division stood to and held the line as the German's, surprised by the success of their own weapon attempted to exploit the weakened line. The Canadians suffered 5,975 casualties by some estimates. Ypres become a bloody chapter in Canada's military heritage, and marked a coming of age for our nation. In the bloody fields of Flanders, Canadian soldiers bought our freedom. We will remember them.
Old 22-04-04, 20:56
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Flanders Fields

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Alexander
Today marks the anniversary of the Canadian baptism of fire in World War One. On April 22, the cloud of chlorine washed over the Allied troops in the Ypres salient. Canada's First Division stood to and held the line as the German's, surprised by the success of their own weapon attempted to exploit the weakened line. The Canadians suffered 5,975 casualties by some estimates. Ypres become a bloody chapter in Canada's military heritage, and marked a coming of age for our nation. In the bloody fields of Flanders, Canadian soldiers bought our freedom. We will remember them.
"In Flanders Field" written by Canadian Physician "JON MACRAE" ... see a copy of his handwritten poem in the link just below.

Quote:
NOTE: I edited/deleted the two links I provided previously and replaced it with the new updated one here:
http://www.greatwar.nl/
BILL ... its funny-strange that you posted this because I just came across the poem in an unrelated search yesterday. I've always been familiar with it, but this time round in reading it, I'm SO much more aware of the "total meaningfulness" of it. Thanks for this post!

Carman the Yappy
Old 22-04-04, 21:19
RIP

Default In Flander's Field

When I was a kid the poem was a necessary learning item in our literature class which was recited on each Nov.11th armistice day.Wonder what they're teaching the kids today??My daughters know it by heart because I repeat it to them.They're shocked when I state the ages of the boys who died
Old 22-04-04, 21:43
Vets Dottir

Default Re: In Flander's Field

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
When I was a kid the poem was a necessary learning item in our literature class which was recited on each Nov.11th armistice day.Wonder what they're teaching the kids today??My daughters know it by heart because I repeat it to them.They're shocked when I state the ages of the boys who died
Hi Garry,

WE too had that poem EVERY year through school on Remembrance Day. Powerful poem hey?

I know I'm still shocked by the ages of some of the young men. One of my Grannies cousins was only 18, and I KNOW that 18 was OLD compared to much younger "boys" who went off to war.

Regards the poem ...I was delighted to find a copy of the HANDWRITTEN by its author online. Brings it closer home to "reality".

Lest We Forget.

Carman
Old 22-04-04, 22:19
Senior Forum Member

Post Ypres - 22 Apr 1915

The Gas Attack At Ypres;

"The Canadians quickly realized that it was best to face the cloud, and hold on in the hope that the blindness would be temporary, and the cutting pain would pass away."

Below the picture is the plaque from the St. Julien Memorial.
Attached Thumbnails
ypres.jpg  
Old 22-04-04, 22:27
Senior Forum Member

Post Ypres - 22 Apr 1915

The First Gas Attack: 22 April, 1915:
Attached Thumbnails
ypres map 1.jpg  
Old 22-04-04, 23:00

Default thought provoking

Thanks Carmen for the link,

My paternal Grandfather was in the Oxs and Bucks light Inf in WW1 and I think he was on the right flank; he did two years in France and two years against the Turks in the Middle East.

Regards

Pete
Old 23-04-04, 01:21
Vets Dottir

Default Re: thought provoking

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Thanks Carmen for the link,

My paternal Grandfather was in the Oxs and Bucks light Inf in WW1 and I think he was on the right flank; he did two years in France and two years against the Turks in the Middle East.

Regards

Pete
You're very welcome Pete, regards the link. And thank YOU for the bit of history about your grandfather.

MARK ... as ever, thanks too, for the images and stuff. Cool
Old 05-11-06, 14:29

Default handwritten poem

here it is in the handwritten version
Attached Thumbnails
in flanders field handwritten.gif  
Old 05-11-06, 15:04

Default website

the link Carman provided has changed into the one above
Old 05-11-06, 18:21

Default Don Cherry Again

Last night between the first and second period of the hockey game Don Cherry made a reference to the Port Perrry High School trip to Vimy next year. Apparently they started planning a trip for a small group and now the numbers have swollen to 2500. If this is true this is a major victory for all of us who think kids today don't get enough Canadian history. Perhaps Brian Gough will check this out with his teacher friends a PPHS. Brian arranged to meet the group of kids who attended the 60th of D Day in Normandy. The photo is of some of the group getting ready for a parade. Their enthusiasm was to be commended.
Cheers,
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
normandy.jpg  

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 06-11-06, 19:27
Vets Dottir

Default Re: website

Quote:
Originally posted by wim sikkelbein

the link Carman provided has changed into the one above
Thanks a lot for the headsup and for the updated link, Wim. I'll go back and update to that link in my post too

It is really good to see the photo, and proof that not ALL of the younger generations are ignorant. How can they get over their ignorance if someone doesn't teach them, hey? Enlighten whereever we can as we notice someone doesn't know is good

Carman