MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 11-08-10, 01:02
RIP

Default Market survey

So, here's my dilemma. As many of you know I have been working on a book on Canadian softskins. The coverage is 1914 to 1945 with 85% covering the CMP. In addition to a history of softskins in Canada there is a huge section on all of the body styles, a chapter on decyphering data plates and more.

As it stands I have almost 300 pages crammed full with almost 1,000 images. In many case there are 3 images of most variants (Machinery "D", Machinery "D1"...) and, for items such as trailers, etc.. only 1 image per. I can stop here and flog the book for about $85.00/copy.

Optionally, I can increase the number of images with many CMP variants getting 6-8 photos (with many interior ashots) and trailers, etc.. going to 2-3. If I do this then I would have to go to 2 volumes of 200 pages with each volume selling for $59.95. The books would be quality printing, hard cover, 8.5 x 11' (A4) format. This option would see the books printed about 4-6 months apart. This option may allow me to add wheeled AFVs.

Finally, I can skip the printed book(s) and present the whole thing on CD. This option would allow me to sell the CD at $29.95.

Your thoughts are welcome, with the caveat that I may ignore all suggestions and do what I want.

Example of option 2 (draft)

Clive

Last edited by servicepub (RIP); 11-08-10 at 01:18. Reason: added images
Old 11-08-10, 01:15
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default 3 volumes..hard cover

Clive..
I never could bunk down with a computer ,but a hard covered book will be around long after you and I are dust..
It will immortalize YOU and your work with CMP groupies for 1000 years....Hhhhhmmmmmmm....
Well at least while CMP's still exist..which will be a long time..a must have for CMP fans every where..
And think of all the fun you will have translating them into French......and Dutch....and Czech..and Greek...Norge..and Siii-Veedish..
Go for the three volume hard cover..
Put me down for a set..
Old 11-08-10, 01:27
Chev44

Default I'm with Alex.....

Much rather have the books....or your jeep gets it.....

Don
Your faithful jeep bitch.

'Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.'
Old 11-08-10, 01:33
carrier mech

Thumbs down to the CD. Besides, there will end up being burned copies running around if you went the CD route. We Cdns are notoriously cheap and have no scruples when it comes to copying digital data on a 20 cent piece of plastic.

Either book would work for me, although the addict in me leans towards the two volume set.
Old 11-08-10, 01:41

Two volumes or more would be best. I echo Robs comments on the CD's
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-08-10, 01:55
Mr. HUP

Default Options

I suggest hard cover volumes- they have an added touch of class and look good on a bookshelf. Count me in for whatever format you finally decide to adopt.
Old 12-08-10, 22:49

Default No options

Hello, ever tryed to put a CD in your new I-pad? When you can't buy a PC anymore which can handle your CD, I still can read the books, so for me the books.

Hendrik
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 12-08-10, 23:49

I have mixed feelings about the physical / digital questions.

Having seen many digital formats come and go, I have serious doubts about the suitability of digital for archival purposes. On the other hand, the negatives from Boer war period can still be viewed using nothing more complex than a light source. Yes, you do have to make mental adjustments for positive to negative, maybe for left to right but as long as there is light (and they don't degrade) the image can be viewed.
Another issue with the digital world, I am continually frustrated using computer help files because my mind doesn't always come up with the maker's term for a concept. I can browse a book and find a similar looking subject and then see where it leads.

On the other hand, it is nice to be able to blow-up, crop and otherwise manipulate digital images.

In the case of this project I wonder whether a mixture of the 2 formats is possible. The full project, text and images, as hard copy with a "bonus" CD of the images. Having only part of the project digital would reduce the number of unauthorized reproductions going into circulation and having the CD of images would let people use images to illustrate points or ask questions (assuming you don't mind the way people have used photos from the "Factory Photos" CD on the forum).
Old 13-08-10, 00:58
Rick Cove

Clive,
You can put me down for a set. I think the 2 book idea is the way to go. The CD idea is ok in some cases, but you can't sit infront of the fire on a cold winters night and browse through a Cd like you can a book.
regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 13-08-10, 04:09

Default 2 quality books with mega images and....

Similar approach to Grant.....

I would pay extra for more pictures and 2 + volumes..... a real definitive piece of art...... but would also like a high quality CD... no tect just all the pictures. My experience is that with my software programs I can enlarge and seek out the details that are relevant in restoration work.... only a CD can give you that.

Preview that we have seen at the BBQ sure wetted our appetite.

Boob
Canada
Old 13-08-10, 23:17
Dog Robber

Hi Clive:

Sorry to be late to the party, but...........

I will gladly pay for one, two or three books at whatever price you have to get.

On the other hand, even at the not so tender age of 70, I have become addicted to the computer way of doing things and I am very comfortable with using such files to do my research.

When pressed, I can take my laptop, my wine and my fags out to the patio and continue my research when I want to get out of my home office and library type stuff.

Plus.............I would bet you already have the bulk if not all of the book materiel in digital form and could release a CD long before the one, two or three books.

If that premise is true, I would vote for releasing the CD ASAP and then carrying on with the books.

Bill