MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 12-05-14, 00:14
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Other social media

How many of you are on Facebook (Stalkerbook to some), use Pinterest, Flikr or other social media services?

There are already a few CMP friends on the Facebook page.

There's a wealth of CMP stuff out there, I try to be part of at least some of it as there are groups dedicated to the subject with members who are not (yet) members of MLU.

Some time ago I started a Facebook page for CMPs Link and anyone here is welcome to join.

I see it as a way to spread the word and gather more members who can together enrich the world of CMP and related MV experience.

But like all internet sites, there are some who don't want to be or aren't members of a particular group, and also those who want to intrude and be a nuisance so the usual cautions about how you use your time on the net apply.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 12-05-14, 02:50
Terry Warner

Default social media

I have Facebook for social purposes, Twitter for information purposes and LinkedIn for job-seeking purposes.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 12-05-14, 05:15
Rick Cove

You will find me on Facebook and Linked-In.

Facebook is the only way to find out what the kids are up to these days. I have 2 boys and I learn more about them on FB. than I ever thought I would.

I am also friends with a number of other Ex-Military vehicle sites on FB. and find that there are many many photos and information to access which I would never have seen without it.
Regards Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 12-05-14, 16:37

Default Guess I'm a Luddite

Hi Keith

You pose an interesting question and to a certain level I'm a Luddite. I've had face book and twitter accounts but have discontinued both. The thing that bothered me with both, people tend to post of the cuff remarks without really thinking through what they wanted to say. It is as if the "social media" comments were of no real importance. This is not what I have observed with MLU people seem to care and give some thought to what they say on MLU.

I follow a couple of antique car and military vehicle forums but find most tend to be less interest to me.

Editing our MV club's monthly newsletter people are always asking about why we don't have a social media presences. When I explain we have tried them but with a hundred or so members and with only two or three posts a week we just don't have critical mass to make it work.

I discontinued both my Facebook and Twitter accounts when they started collecting information that were obviously more to do with what information could they sell rather than "free social media". I have a google and g-mail account because my kids like to send photos that way but it really started to bother me when the advertisements on the side of the g-mails started to be linked to what was said in the e-mails. But my real reason for dropping the facebook account was because there was little of interest to me I'd forget to check it.

Every now and then just for fun I send long list of random words just to see what kind of advertisements it will draw.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 13-05-14, 09:07

My social contact is fairly limited, I have plenty of tin cans but the length of the string is a real problem.

David
Old 27-05-14, 00:01
Blitzed

I see the corowa swim in is now on Facebook too.
Old 28-05-14, 13:39
Corowa Project 30

The next thing I have to do is sign up to Facebook. I encourage as many people to go to our new Corowa Facebook Site. Make sure it is the site with the KVE logo.

https://www.facebook.com/corowaswimin.
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 31-05-14, 14:16
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Not on facebook due to security concerns..too much data mining, complete lack of privacy..heard far too many news stories about privacy issues.

twitter- cant be bothered.. I see people spending most of their lives with their heads down looking at a tiny screen "following" dozens or more with mostly very unimportant comments.
Saw four people t'other day at a restaurant table..all four barely looked at eather or spoke to each other..what's the point then of going out? they spent almost all their time with their heads down..geez were they texting each other across the table????? what a waste of time, and life.