MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 15-11-10, 14:15

Default UK Debt to Canada

Ed,

if you read carefuly the article states that the loans were an effort to pay for equipment that was sent over during hostilities. During the war, no one held equipment back, it was a push not a pull, system. It would be easy for Britian to reduce its debt by supplying equipment rather than cash.

"Deferred

Under the lend-lease programme, which began in March 1941, the then neutral US could provide countries fighting Adolf Hitler with war material.

The US joined the war soon after - in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbour - and the programme ended in 1945.

Equipment left over in Britain at the end of hostilities and still needed had to be paid for"

Was there not some discussion a few years ago about our new subs being reduced in price by rolling in the costs of leasing the training area in Suffield?

Jim
Old 16-11-10, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gilmore View Post
I have just gotten some info on a friend of mine's CDN Ferret Mk-1 and the data does not jive with what has been posted.

He gave me the following:

Date plate information: 412.B.6.4 (412th Ferret made, June 1954)

Hull number: 54-82606

War Department Number: 36BA86 (from Bovington Tank Museum records)

-----------------

Now this is different from what was posted.....

From Canadian Army records:

Year Number HUIC Holding Unit ERN ERN Description

1954 82606* 0109* CFB CALGARY 30541* CAR ARM FERRET FV701MK1

1954 82606* 36BA80 LDSH

---------------------

From British contract records

36BA86 Hull No 412

36BA80 Hull No 406

----------------------------------------

Note that the Canadian records show the vehicle as 36BA80 with the Canadian number as 54-82606.

There is no 36BA86 listed as a CDN Ferret.

Can anyone sort out the differences here?

Also, is the data plate number ..... 412.B.6.4 ......show the date of manufacture or date of delivery ?

What does the B mean?

According to contract data it was built in 1951.

Interesting.......

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.
Hi Jim,

I can't say for certain as i don't have a copy of the Canadian Ferret vehicle history sheets but the discrepancy may be as simple as a typo. The sheets were often completed by hand so information entered on them can be difficult to decipher, especially when someone has corrected information. 8 and 6 can appear similar when quickly written or when read off a stamping.

Attached is a sample of the Canadian Army RCEME vehicle history sheet for Centurion Mk.V 53-81182. Notice that the "serial" number has been changed from 12 BA 86 or 88 to 12 BA 89L. It is of note that the Canadian Centurion listings contain a number of errors and corrections. The Canadian Army seem to have had a hard time deciding when to use 52, 53 or 54 prefixes to the CAR numbers (sometimes going back and forth a number of times for the same tank) and the "serial" is recorded using a mix of the British Army census number, the actual hull serial number or just completely omitted. Engine numbers are really hit and miss.

At least a few Canadian Centurions were marked in Europe with both the British Census numbers and the CAR number. Don Dingwall's book on the Centurion (p.17) shows Mk.V 53-81365 wearing the CAR on the right rear of the hull and 47 BA 86 on the left.

I know Colin visited Ottawa to pull Ferret files from LAC but a number of them are still closed and I don't know what they opened to him in the end. A quick search of the on-line catalouge shows "Manufacture, Procurement Production & Requirements - Tracked Vehicles - Tank Centurion" the file is dated 1953-1955 so it may contain some useful information.

File no. (creator)
S-7133-Tank Centurion
Textual records
32: Restricted by law
Box
3428 File Part 1
90: Open
Former archival reference no.
RG24-C-1-c
Other accession no.
1983-84/048 GAD

At least it is CLSN 90 so it may be easier to get at.

Sorry I don't have more specifically on the Ferret but I hope this is of some use.

J
Attached Thumbnails
53-81182.jpg  
Old 16-11-10, 11:45

So, To sum up so far, by reading between the lines, if you have a Ferrret, and have numbers stamped into it, or have original markings painted onto it that are visible then you know what you have, because if you rely on the hull number from the welded in plate inside some pencil pusher cocked up the records that everything else academic has been based on.

Well, at least thats the impression im getting at the moment.

R
Old 20-02-11, 22:20

Just to add a bit of an update.

I was out today and confirm the Ferret with the turret on it in my pictures has a hull number of 337. B. 4. 4. with a confirmed CFR stamped in of 82569

R
Old 13-12-18, 17:59

Default The issue continues

So 7 years later I now own the ferret. Hull stamps 5482606. Last 3 on the front glacis plate upper right hand. 54-82 on the top plate lhs.

Interior Plate is 412-B.6.4

KAM

ES S also stamped on hull.

KAM

Last edited by Kevin MacDonald; 13-12-18 at 18:09.
Old 18-12-18, 02:08

Default Congrats on getting one

Kevin, Congrats on getting one. I picked one up in September, I had actually been interested in getting one for over 20 years, the timing was never right. Tracked one down this past fall and took the plunge.

I hope yours was a runner, mine is in need of a lot of work.

Robin
Old 18-12-18, 04:55

It was about 20 yrs for me as well. It runs but needs rewiring and some other work. Where are you located? I am in Minneapolis MN.
Old 19-12-18, 00:50

Default Ferret home

Hi Kevin, I am in Chicago IL, actually not too far from you. Though maybe not by ferret...