Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 06-03-22, 16:37

Default Ram in UK

Nice Vid about the Canadian Ram Tank

https://youtu.be/vl3WPpeYyK0
Old 06-03-22, 17:53

Hi Ed

Interesting that the author states that a lack of access to Shermans created the Ram.

It is my understanding that the Ram was set by design in "early 1941", a prototype out in June 1941 and production (Mk I) commencing in November 1941.

The initial design requirements and construction of the Ram prototype led the US, in April 1941, to adopt the design into their T6 model. First prototype in September 1941 and production (M4 Sherman) commencing in February 1942.

Am I wrong?

regards
Darrell
Old 06-03-22, 18:16
Terry Warner

Default Mark Felton's videos

I have been a big fan of his YT work, and prodigious effort. Give him a break, he's a generalist who picks small story lines and does his best to make a good 7 to 12 minutes of content.

If he has mistakes, they are understandable and I don't hold them against him.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 07-03-22, 15:25

Hi Terry

Oh, I quite like his content too. I have watched pretty much all that he has made over the last few years and I have enjoyed his other Canadian topics immensely.

Yes, he obviously put a lot of effort into his productions but, none the less, it is erroneous info. Will it put me off watching him further? Nope.

regards
Darrell
Old 07-03-22, 23:13
MLU Administrator

Not really impressed by this video. Some borrowed footage and photos with a voice over which is not entirely correct, e.g. "the Dutch inherited many Rams left in vehicles parks by the Canadians at war's end".

An meagre effort to attract some viewers, IMHO.
Old 08-03-22, 11:14

It includes an interesting photo of a range wreck of a small-hatch M4A1 with 75 mm low-bustle turret, but also a vision cupola and E9 suspension, though

I must say that most of these kinds of AFV videos (not just by this particular fellow) don’t overly impress me. They’re nearly universally aimed at people who have an interest in tanks, but no real knowledge about them, and so are really the equivalent of those old, full-colour “coffee-table” books: kind of interesting, but if you’re the kind of person who frequents a place like MLU, you can usually poke holes in a lot of what the narration says …
Old 08-03-22, 13:54
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Not really impressed by this video. Some borrowed footage and photos with a voice over which is not entirely correct, e.g. "the Dutch inherited many Rams left in vehicles parks by the Canadians at war's end".

An meagre effort to attract some viewers, IMHO.
Hanno, the borrowed footage is a function of broadcasting. The script is the important content. Other than the opening theme music, the videos are strictly Dr Felton's voice overs. There is limited video which is a) not already vastly overused, and b) actually specific to his theme. I've seen explanations where the video is located and shown. We are a critical audience and would find fault in almost anything.

To the topic, he's describing a Ram Kangaroo found on an inaccessible part of yet another training area. The story is how it is still so prominent in 2021 or 2022. It is a 'forgotten tanks' story like the piece he did on post WW2 German panzers installed in Romania as border defences.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 08-03-22, 16:30
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
(...) The script is the important content. (...)
And that is where I find him lacking. Jakko was articulated it very well, and that is why I classify it as a meagre effort to attract viewers. The number of views and "like" clicks of people who have no real knowledge is apparently what pays the bill. Sometime in the future these "wallpaper" videos will undergo the same fate as those "coffeetable" books and disappear into oblivion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakko Westerbeke View Post
I must say that most of these kinds of AFV videos (not just by this particular fellow) don’t overly impress me. They’re nearly universally aimed at people who have an interest in tanks, but no real knowledge about them, and so are really the equivalent of those old, full-colour “coffee-table” books: kind of interesting, but if you’re the kind of person who frequents a place like MLU, you can usually poke holes in a lot of what the narration says …
Old 08-03-22, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Hanno, the borrowed footage is a function of broadcasting. The script is the important content. Other than the opening theme music, the videos are strictly Dr Felton's voice overs. There is limited video which is a) not already vastly overused, and b) actually specific to his theme. I've seen explanations where the video is located and shown. We are a critical audience and would find fault in almost anything.

To the topic, he's describing a Ram Kangaroo found on an inaccessible part of yet another training area. The story is how it is still so prominent in 2021 or 2022. It is a 'forgotten tanks' story like the piece he did on post WW2 German panzers installed in Romania as border defences.
Though not a forgotten tank, because a huge amount of people know it is there... but a difficult recovery job because it is in an area of Special Scientific Interest... so to avoid damaging the grass (or something else), it has to stay where it is.