MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-01-23, 18:59

Default Canadian Dodge APT with Dual PTO

Hello everybody,

I’m overhauling the PTO (and some more things) of my APT. Putting it together I discovered a problem: Usually the PTO of the Canadian Dodge and the US-Dodge are the same.

But it looks as if I have a different (may be younger) one. Because at the rear I have an end plate with a hole for the drive shaft (dual PTO) and an oil seal with a different outer diameter to that one at the front end (watch the picture with the parts - you can see that).

Of course a bought a PTO gasket and seal set. Following the explanation of “Dodge Vintage Power Wagon” it’s a set for the 1 Ton Flat Fender Power Wagon 4x4 Civilian & Export. But the two oil seals for the drive shaft are similar, so I can’t use one of them for my end plate.

I'm looking for that smaller oil seal. And I made a measurement: The inner diameter of the seal (and also of course the diameter of the mainshaft) is 25mm (like at the front end) and the outer diameter is 39,6mm (1,56")

Does anybody knows that problem or knows which PTO it is?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Attached pictures:
01 PTO still installed
02 PTO clos up
03 end plate with hole for the drive shaft
04 comparison
05 oil seal outer diameter too big
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01 PTO still installed.jpg (612.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 02 PTO close up.JPG (258.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 03 end plate.JPG (175.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 04 comparison.JPG (278.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 05 outer diameter too big.JPG (266.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 27-01-23, 02:43
Bluebell

Jurgen, Based on your O.D. measurement, the outer diameter is imperial 1 9/16 inch. probably the shaft is 25.4mm or 1.000 inch. Go and buy an imperial seal. If I remember correctly these PTOs are dimensioned in imperial (bearings and seals)
I am guessing that the wartime PTO looks the same except there is no shaft out of the rear?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 28-01-23, 13:57

Hello Lynn, thanks for your reply, I agree that it is imperial, but that dimension seems to be hard to find. I have already looked at about a dozen lists. According your question: Yes, it's the same like the war time PTO. While posting my problem I have had the hope that somebody could say for which truck or use it was built. A second winch in the rear? Or something with a side drive? Here in Europe nobody knows.
Old 28-01-23, 14:41
carrier mech

Seal is, I believe, an SKF 9894. Lots of them on ebay and even amazon.

Sorry, can't help on the PTO application.
Old 29-01-23, 00:22

Default The issue may be with the PTO.....

The first issue if the tranny....... the Canadian 4 speed tranny was different than the USA M37 tranny and a specific PTO was needed to match the PTO.... Your PTO seems to bolt on so the inside gear must mesh properly.

From my experience it is better to shop for a seal or bearing by size.... whether ...metric or imperial ..... what you go by is the ID...inside diameter and OD outside diameter.....than the thickness ...... if all they can search for is by truck model leave as fast as you can and find a bearing and seal shop..... they will search by size not by brand or truck model....... and if truly honest will tell you if he has to order them and from which city...... some are faster to get for more money or a few days longer for less $$$.... for example the CMP front large brake drum seals are also commonly used on modern commercial bread making machines.

Good luck.....
Canada
Old 29-01-23, 05:32
Bluebell

Jurgen, Was there a need in the APT for a pto. to the rear? If not, then I suspect : 1, Your pto. has had a post war model shaft fitted? Or, 2. that someone has modified the rear cover and made up a shaft to suit their specific needs. If your shaft is a factory item, I would like to know, from what?

Bob, I believe the APT ran the same gearbox as the U.S. WC52 to WC57 (3/4 ton Dodges of 42 to 45) These all ran the MU2 Braden winches. The earlier half ton Dodges only had one pto port in the gearbox, which was on the opposite side to the one used in the later 42 to 45 trucks. This also meant that the 1/2 ton Dodge winch was the reverse layout and was just an MU model winch. I have little knowledge of the M37, but they were a different (synchros and ratio) box, as you say, requiring a different pto unit which I am totally unfamiliar with.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 29-01-23 at 05:34. Reason: because I can.