MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 17-10-11, 01:31
Tony VAN RHODA

Default The rieu military vehicles collection

Hi All

I was flipping the channels on my TV when I observed the son of Andre RIEU Pierre Rieu driving a WW2 Jeep, this attracted my attention, as you would when seeing anything Military. It appears he was being interviewed regarding his WW2 military vehicles collection. He apparently has been collecting WW2vehicles for some time and has a number of vehicles. He said that he had loaned some of his vehicles to the "LIBERATION MUSEUM in GROESBEEK" in the Netherlands.

The vehicles he collects are all associated with the Liberation of the city of Maastricht where he lives and will be part of a temporary exhibition providing, depth, glory, and content reliving the liberation message.

During Operation "Market Garden" the 82nd Airborne Division landed near Groesbeek. In the subsequent fighting the town was nearly completely destroyed and inhabitants were evacuated. The National Liberation museum based in Groesbeek is on one of the landing sites of operation Market Garden, and the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery also resides there.

I was not aware that Pierre Rieu was interested in military vehicles and it was good to see this young man's enthusiasm come through in the interview. I wonder if he is an MLU member or a vistor to our site. Maybe one of our MLU members in the Netherlands may know more.

Cheers

Tony
Old 17-10-11, 01:37
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
Hi All

I was flipping the channels on my TV when I observed the son of Andre RIEU Pierre Rieu driving a WW2 Jeep, this attracted my attention, as you would when seeing anything Military. It appears he was being interviewed regarding his WW2 military vehicles collection. He apparently has been collecting WW2vehicles for some time and has a number of vehicles. He said that he had loaned some of his vehicles to the "LIBERATION MUSEUM in GROESBEEK" in the Netherlands.

The vehicles he collects are all associated with the Liberation of the city of Maastricht where he lives and will be part of a temporary exhibition providing, depth, glory, and content reliving the liberation message.

During Operation "Market Garden" the 82nd Airborne Division landed near Groesbeek. In the subsequent fighting the town was nearly completely destroyed and inhabitants were evacuated. The National Liberation museum based in Groesbeek is on one of the landing sites of operation Market Garden, and the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery also resides there.

I was not aware that Pierre Rieu was interested in military vehicles and it was good to see this young man's enthusiasm come through in the interview. I wonder if he is an MLU member or a vistor to our site. Maybe one of our MLU members in the Netherlands may know more.

Cheers

Tony
Tony..
Just for you..enjoy..

http://www.bevrijdingsmuseum.nl/Basi...ws.Id=%2768%27
Old 17-10-11, 05:20
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Liberation museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Alex

Thanks for that, interesting. Next time I visit the mother country I will have to spend more time visiting sites then sitting in relatives lounges.

Cheers

Tony
Old 17-10-11, 21:23
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
I wonder if he is an MLU member or a vistor to our site. Maybe one of our MLU members in the Netherlands may know more.
Hi Tony,

I know Pierre as an avid collector. He's not a member of MLU, a good friend of him is, though.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 18-10-11, 08:42
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Pierre andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Hi Tony,

I know Pierre as an avid collector. He's not a member of MLU, a good friend of him is, though.

HTH,
Hanno
Hanno

Thank you for the update. From the TV interview he appeared to have a number of vehicles.

Cheers

Tony