MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-01-12, 10:43

Default Japan says sorry for bombing Darwin

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8402728

from a Channel Nine news article.

Japan's government has used a gathering in Darwin to apologise for the country's bombing of the city during World War II.

Japan's Senior Vice Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, Tadahiro Matsushita, told a signing ceremony for the $US34 billion Ichthys gas project that he was sorry for his country's actions.

"I am aware that this year is the 70th anniversary of Darwin's bombing and during a certain period in the not-too-distant past, Japan caused tremendous damage and suffering to the people of many countries," Mr Matsushita said.

"Taking this opportunity, I would like to express my feelings of deep remorse and state my heartfelt apology.

"After the war, Japan has regenerated and developed with a pacifist constitution in order to contribute to world peace," he said.

Japanese officials have in the past apologised for the country's actions in World War II, but Mr Matsushita is believed to be the most senior politician to apologise on Northern Territory soil for the bombing of Darwin.

He said that since the war Australia and Japan had developed a friendship based on mutual trust.

Japan conducted 64 air raids on Darwin between February 1942 and November 1943.

It is thought 243 people died, with hundreds more injured.

Most of Darwin's civil and military facilities were destroyed

Other towns in northern Australia including Townsville, Katherine, Wyndham, Derby, Broome and Port Hedland were also bombed by Japanese aircraft.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 13-01-12, 11:31
Blitzed

Default japan

Considering 180,000+ Toyotas were sold in Australia in 2011 and it is the No.1brand I don't think most carry a grudge.
Old 13-01-12, 12:48
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Changed thinking

Hi All

It took them long enough to say sorry, only 70 years. Well I hope the Japanese government will now update their history books in schools and teach the current and future generation of children what their government and military really did thoughout the pacific and China during WWII.

LEST WE FORGET.

Tony
Old 13-01-12, 16:29
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
Hi All

It took them long enough to say sorry, only 70 years. Well I hope the Japanese government will now update their history books in schools and teach the current and future generation of children what their government and military really did thoughout the pacific and China during WWII.

LEST WE FORGET.

Tony
Last December, the Japanese apologized for the treatment of Canadian prisoners taken in the fall of Hong Kong in 1941. Part of the Royal Rifles of Canada was recruited from my old neighbourhood, and a significant proportion of officers and men from a predecessor of my old reserve unit rebadged to go to Asia. I think a dozen slave labour camp survivors are left. Two generations too late, but at least they are coming around.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!