MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 17-11-13, 06:55
Lionel G. Evans

Default Ron Fry Military Machinery Collection on TV

Hello All,

I was channel surfing a little while ago and on 4Me Tv they had a show called Man and Machinery TV and it featured an episode about Ron Fry's Military Machinery Collection www.manandmachinetv.com.au The episode is part of a TV Series Man and Machine is the creation of television presenter and passionate car enthusiast Glenn Everitt.

There was also an article written about Ron Fry in 2011 and it states that, "Ron spent many years as a senior corporal in the Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RAEME), the corps of the Army responsible for maintaining and recovering all land electrical and mechanical equipment."

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/art...nthusiast.html

The show has a walk through Fry's paddock and shows various Ford and Chevrolet trucks including CMP and MCP and tanks including an operational Stuart tank and hulk of a Matilda tank, plus some Bren Gun Carriers.

I cannot say what the name of the episode was as the site does not have a very user-friendly episode list. It does show the dates of the episodes and episode number however it does not name the episode or open them up. Maybe it will allow the program to be opened up and be seen in a couple of weeks after it screened?

So it was screened on 4me http://www.4me.net.au/categories/auto/man-and-machine

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 17-11-13 at 07:04.
Old 17-11-13, 07:38

Default Ron fry

The episode can be found here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzb7Y...rpoy1p0vGaX6G5

Luke
Old 17-11-13, 18:45

Default Thanks for posting

Hi Lionel

Thanks for posting the link to the particular show, and for the link to the show in general.

Thanks Luke for posting the youtube link, clicking on the links in the Lionel's post you may need to be patient even with a high speed connection it took awhile for the links to react and download. I suspect it was just the internet not wanting good programs from Australia leaking out.

Now I'll have to go back through the other episodes of the program, really enjoy watching programs not normally available in the US gives you a better perspective of the world.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 17-11-13, 20:35

I have to agree with you, Phil.

There was a show on surviving steam locomotives still operating today in Australia, on the local TV a few weeks back which was absolutely fascinating. Historically, the railway system down under was established for much the same economic reasons as prompted the same development here in North America at the turn of the last century.

What was really awesome about the Australian show was the incredible diversity of the landscapes. It goes way beyond the stereotypical red dust and gum trees we usually hear about!

David
Old 17-11-13, 21:41
MLU Administrator

Great show, but why do they spend so much time talking about that Stuart turned into a toy?!?
Will have to watch the rest later.

H.
Old 17-11-13, 22:29

Default Blue Flame?

I would think that mention of Chev CMPs being powered by Blue Flame engines would have jarred on you Phil. I thought Ron would have known better and tried shouting at the computer but he didn't hear me.
The Blue Flame title is only ever used here (probably not quite correctly) in reference to engines with pressurised crankshafts which here means post '54.
David

Last edited by motto; 17-11-13 at 22:36. Reason: Clarity
Old 18-11-13, 00:33
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke R View Post
Hello Luke,

Thank you for posting the YouTube link to the show. Motto you were not the only one annoyed by the Blue Flame reference! They were a 216 cubic inch splash or Babbitt oil feed. My understanding was that the pressurised oil system was in the 235 cubic inch manufactured between 1954-62. There was also a 261 engine built for the heavier trucks and buses. The 261 was based off a 235 block and was modified to make it stronger.

According to Jim Carter Antique Truck Parts. accessed from http://www.1954advance-design.com/We...gine/index.htm it was not until 1958 that the 261 got a fully pressurised oil system.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2