MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 08-11-19, 07:22
Andy

Default Centurion Tank Unload Event

If you're in the Lower Mainland, BC, and have nothing to do on Sunday, Nov. 10th - come join the crowd and members of the press for the unloading of the Centurion tank ex-Cornwallis - timings as per below. Special thanks to CN for really pulling out all the stops to make this happen.

"I would like to invite you to a very special event featuring a Centurion tank from the Korean War this Sunday, November 10 at 10 am.

The tank, which has been travelling across Canada since its departure from Nova Scotia last week, will arrive at CN’s Thornton Yard in Surrey this weekend. I would be pleased to have you join us for this momentous occasion, as the tank is lifted from the train onto a truck for transfer to the Western Museum of Armed Forces in Aldergrove, BC.

Township of Langley Councillor Bob Long, and retired Major Ian Newby from the Western Museum of Armed Forces in Langley, asked CN to support bringing the tank to British Columbia. Through close collaboration between the Organization of Military Museums of Canada and the Cornwallis Military Museum Association, the Centurion tank was cleared for transfer. The tank had been on display at Cornwallis Park in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and would have served under the Commonwealth efforts in the Korean conflict, transferring to Canada in 1954.

A.W. Liel, John Hunter Trucking Co., Total Transport & Rigging, as well as Quiring Towing and Recovery, all helped complete the coast-to-coast transfer. After being hoisted from the CN train, the tank will make its way to Langley for the Aldergrove Remembrance Day Ceremony and Parade on Monday."

-- me again: not sure what access/ parking will be like at all as I'm kind of getting...fragos...but passing it on anyway.
Old 08-11-19, 07:31
Andy

Default Directions to the event

http://armedforcesmuseum.ca/centurio...nt-directions/
Old 08-11-19, 11:42

Default Interesting Story

An interesting story indeed but I have a couple of questions. What is the CFR of the Centurion and what evidence do you have that the tank served in Korea before being transferred to Canada?
Old 09-11-19, 16:11

Where is this museum? I am not familiar with any private military museums in the lower mainland...Is this new?
Old 09-11-19, 16:53

Morning Ed.

That possible combat service raised my eyebrows as well, until I watched the News Clip on the BC Museum website. That report clearly stated on several occasions the Centurion, as a tank model, saw service in Korea, but made absolutely no reference at all to that specific vehicle ever serving there.

Simply an information transfer error.

David
Old 10-11-19, 03:13

Default Details

Thanks for the clarification.