MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 09-02-09, 22:50

Default Census / Chassis number correlation

I'm sure that this subject has been discussed before but no amount of searching has turned up the original thread. The idea of applying the 'correct' census number based on frame number is one that has given me a lot of cause for thought. I'm sure I've read here that Bedford numbers are thought not to 'tie-in'

Via the WW2 Talk forum, I 've been in contact with Kieron Hill who has a website related to his collection of primarily photographs but also other wartime items. He has an interesting collection which includes data books from an officer with 357 Battery, 109 L.A.A. Regiment

http://www.eightharmy.co.uk/royalsussex.htm

http://www.eightharmy.co.uk/

He has let me have scans of a couple of pages of this book which detail the Battery's vehicles, including census numbers, Chassis and engine numbers together with confirming contract information and Tac signs. He's got some Bofors info too.

The vehicles are Ariel W/NG motorcycles, Bedford 3 ton LAA Tractors, 3 ton GS 4x2 and examples of MWD and MWC together with a solitary Ford CMP GS 4x4.

I have frame number records for the Ariels which come from three different contracts but not for the trucks. The Census numbers applied to the bikes are exactly what one would expect based upon the frame numbers so it looks as if they at least were being tied in as early as August 1941.

Can someone with Bedford and Ford Canada chassis number info have a look at the numbers and see if they too follow any pattern ?

Cheers,

Rich