MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 11-08-10, 01:02
RIP

Default Market survey

So, here's my dilemma. As many of you know I have been working on a book on Canadian softskins. The coverage is 1914 to 1945 with 85% covering the CMP. In addition to a history of softskins in Canada there is a huge section on all of the body styles, a chapter on decyphering data plates and more.

As it stands I have almost 300 pages crammed full with almost 1,000 images. In many case there are 3 images of most variants (Machinery "D", Machinery "D1"...) and, for items such as trailers, etc.. only 1 image per. I can stop here and flog the book for about $85.00/copy.

Optionally, I can increase the number of images with many CMP variants getting 6-8 photos (with many interior ashots) and trailers, etc.. going to 2-3. If I do this then I would have to go to 2 volumes of 200 pages with each volume selling for $59.95. The books would be quality printing, hard cover, 8.5 x 11' (A4) format. This option would see the books printed about 4-6 months apart. This option may allow me to add wheeled AFVs.

Finally, I can skip the printed book(s) and present the whole thing on CD. This option would allow me to sell the CD at $29.95.

Your thoughts are welcome, with the caveat that I may ignore all suggestions and do what I want.

Example of option 2 (draft)

Clive

Last edited by servicepub (RIP); 11-08-10 at 01:18. Reason: added images
Old 11-08-10, 01:15
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default 3 volumes..hard cover

Clive..
I never could bunk down with a computer ,but a hard covered book will be around long after you and I are dust..
It will immortalize YOU and your work with CMP groupies for 1000 years....Hhhhhmmmmmmm....
Well at least while CMP's still exist..which will be a long time..a must have for CMP fans every where..
And think of all the fun you will have translating them into French......and Dutch....and Czech..and Greek...Norge..and Siii-Veedish..
Go for the three volume hard cover..
Put me down for a set..
Old 11-08-10, 01:27
Chev44

Default I'm with Alex.....

Much rather have the books....or your jeep gets it.....

Don
Your faithful jeep bitch.

'Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.'
Old 11-08-10, 01:33
carrier mech

Thumbs down to the CD. Besides, there will end up being burned copies running around if you went the CD route. We Cdns are notoriously cheap and have no scruples when it comes to copying digital data on a 20 cent piece of plastic.

Either book would work for me, although the addict in me leans towards the two volume set.
Old 11-08-10, 01:41

Two volumes or more would be best. I echo Robs comments on the CD's
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-08-10, 01:55
Mr. HUP

Default Options

I suggest hard cover volumes- they have an added touch of class and look good on a bookshelf. Count me in for whatever format you finally decide to adopt.
Old 11-08-10, 02:32

The CD is more economical for me including post to Australia so this would be my first choice as you can make them with a security code to stop unautherised copying. 2 volumn hard cover books would be my second choice and whether I purchase them or not depends on a final price including post.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 11-08-10, 02:48
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
The CD is more economical for me including post to Australia so this would be my first choice as you can make them with a security code to stop unautherised copying. 2 volumn hard cover books would be my second choice and whether I purchase them or not depends on a final price including post.
Good point. As I have my hard cover books printed in China I could arrange for 100 or so to be drop-shipped to Australia, provided I find somebody who would then repack them and ship them on within Australasia. This person would benefit from a wholesale price and would make a profit by doing this. The same could be done for UK/Europe (to Hell with the EU, I always see these as two entities.)
Clive
Old 11-08-10, 07:39

I have a well thumbed collection of books that quite often accompany my cigar and coffee outside. Computer don't reach that far, Vol I & II for me.
Rich.
Old 11-08-10, 10:13
Andrew

Books are a better read
CD's are good also as they allow you to enlarge the pictures for better detail analysis

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 11-08-10, 10:48

Default Vol 1 & 2

The books Clive
Old 11-08-10, 12:32

Clive,

at first....good to hear news on the Soft Skin book. Just like most of the others, I would say....books in stead of CD. I love your factory photos CD, but the truth is that I only get it out if I am looking for a certain detail, it's far easier to grab a book to have a look during a cuppa.

From a scale modelling and CMP loving point of view, I would prefer a picture packed book..I recon most of us will have at least some documentation about CMP's, so we will be looking for those pictures not covered in other books....so preferebly more volumes so you can include ALL pictures.

Alex
Old 11-08-10, 12:46
Blitzed

Default more the better

Clive,
I agree with most of the above posts too. I would prefer a 2 volume hard cover set with the greater detail.
As for selling 100 sets in Australia I'm not sure about. I think you could do 50 sets quite well. Just off the top of my head I could see Hylands bookstore in Melbourne, Napoleans bookstore in Sydney buying one or more sets each. Then there is always the Corowa swap meet, MLU members and ebay. I'm sure there is more options I'm not thinking of though.
Does Perth, Brisbane or Adelaide have military bookstores?

regards
ryan
Old 11-08-10, 14:48

Default I'll make room in my book case

Hi Clive

The sentiment in favor of printed I feel is a good one. If you have the information for a large volume(s) go that route. While computer based information sources are great they are hard to maintain in the long run and the to easy to copy works against the effort to collect in the first place.

Just out of curiosity are you going with a print on demand system or a defined press run?

As I said I'll make room in my book case by the computer for a print copy, it will be in good company beside Gregg's and Vanderveen's books.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 11-08-10, 17:48
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Australian market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Clive,
I agree with most of the above posts too. I would prefer a 2 volume hard cover set with the greater detail.
As for selling 100 sets in Australia I'm not sure about. I think you could do 50 sets quite well. Just off the top of my head I could see Hylands bookstore in Melbourne, Napoleans bookstore in Sydney buying one or more sets each. Then there is always the Corowa swap meet, MLU members and ebay. I'm sure there is more options I'm not thinking of though.
Does Perth, Brisbane or Adelaide have military bookstores?

regards
ryan
Ryan..You may be underestimating the Australian market..
The only "Blitz"..CMP knowledgeable people we see from OZ are usually here at MLU central..BUT>>>>If a hard cover book on CMP's came out with a big CMP on the cover it is a very recognizable vehicle...
Even though there are a few of us here....How many would see the book and say...."Isn;t that a book of dads old army truck..??""and grab it out of nostalgia ..??
Bet there is a hell of a market for that book..
For years after the war those were among the only trucks available for commercial use..both in England and OZ and many other places..until the domestic automotive industry got off the war production footing and so many people would recognize them..not so much in Canada and the US because we sent most of them over seas.
end of rant..
GO .Clive..Go..!!
Old 11-08-10, 19:12
RIP

I already have a sizeable client base in Australia/NZ for my Weapons of War boklets and don't see any concern with 100 copies for that region. In fact, one MLUer in Oz has already approached me for distribution. As these volumes come out in print I will make arrangements for their availability at a reasonable cost.
Clive
Old 12-08-10, 03:08

Clive, having had a sneak preview of the excellent preliminary edition I would opt for the 2 volume set. When I was perusing your draft I was so excited I had difficulty controlling bodily functions. For this reason alone I feel a printed copy, able to be easily transported to the can, ( john, lou, toilette, crapper etc) would be beneficial for the old farts like Alex, to keep things flowing, so to speak. There is nothing like a CMP laxative.
Where do I send my money?
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 12-08-10, 03:11
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Clive, having had a sneak preview of the excellent preliminary edition I would opt for the 2 volume set. When I was perusing your draft I was so excited I had difficulty controlling bodily functions. For this reason alone I feel a printed copy, able to be easily transported to the can, ( john, lou, toilette, crapper etc) would be beneficial for the old farts like Alex, to keep things flowing, so to speak. There is nothing like a CMP laxative.
Where do I send my money?
Cheers,
Barry
Maybe I can print a special edition with extra-soft, two-ply, paper for Alex. I can have the printer perforate every page so that he can select those sections he doesn't like?
Old 12-08-10, 03:59

Put me down for the books. Do any of those 6 x 6 artillery tractors still exist. What a great looking truck.
Old 12-08-10, 05:49
Blitzed

Default sales in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I already have a sizeable client base in Australia/NZ for my Weapons of War boklets and don't see any concern with 100 copies for that region. In fact, one MLUer in Oz has already approached me for distribution. As these volumes come out in print I will make arrangements for their availability at a reasonable cost.
Clive

Clive, Alex, I don't mind being wrong on this issue. If you can sell more all the better. You have a good point too Alex about a big CMP on the cover and the " my dad had one of those" sentinments about sales. Let's hope 100 copies sells out and a second printing is in order.
ryan
Old 12-08-10, 13:06

Clive I think there will be a reasonable market in Australia for the book.I love my books and I take great pleasure in adding to my collection so a two volume set would be perfect I will definately buy them.It took me thirty years,ebay and over one hundred dollars to get my copy of Blueprint for Victory,so I feel your book would be a fair price. Keep us up to date with what you do so that we don't miss out down here.
Cheers Ken
1941 Cab 12 F60L ARN 46660
1941 Cab 12 F60L ARN 51720 A/T Portee
1942 Cab 13 F15 ARN 55236
1942 Cab 13 F60L ARN 58171 Mach "D" Loading
1942 Cab 13 C15 ARN 62400
1945 Cab 13 C60L ARN 77821
1941 Chevrolet 3 Ton GS ARN AIF L16070 Middle East veteran
Canadian REL (APF) radar trailer
Old 12-08-10, 21:50

... wonderful to read that. I would opt for 2 hard-cover books. You could do the CD thing as a special add-on to the books and sell it for 15 bucks more.

Hope they'll be published before Christmas

Greeetings
Chris

www.wheelsandtracks.com
>> Condor A580 M+85691 (1952), Swiss Army Motorbike (unrestored)
>> F15 1942 Aust (Cab 13) ::: restored by Keefy
Old 12-08-10, 22:49

Default No options

Hello, ever tryed to put a CD in your new I-pad? When you can't buy a PC anymore which can handle your CD, I still can read the books, so for me the books.

Hendrik
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 12-08-10, 23:49

I have mixed feelings about the physical / digital questions.

Having seen many digital formats come and go, I have serious doubts about the suitability of digital for archival purposes. On the other hand, the negatives from Boer war period can still be viewed using nothing more complex than a light source. Yes, you do have to make mental adjustments for positive to negative, maybe for left to right but as long as there is light (and they don't degrade) the image can be viewed.
Another issue with the digital world, I am continually frustrated using computer help files because my mind doesn't always come up with the maker's term for a concept. I can browse a book and find a similar looking subject and then see where it leads.

On the other hand, it is nice to be able to blow-up, crop and otherwise manipulate digital images.

In the case of this project I wonder whether a mixture of the 2 formats is possible. The full project, text and images, as hard copy with a "bonus" CD of the images. Having only part of the project digital would reduce the number of unauthorized reproductions going into circulation and having the CD of images would let people use images to illustrate points or ask questions (assuming you don't mind the way people have used photos from the "Factory Photos" CD on the forum).
Old 13-08-10, 00:58
Rick Cove

Clive,
You can put me down for a set. I think the 2 book idea is the way to go. The CD idea is ok in some cases, but you can't sit infront of the fire on a cold winters night and browse through a Cd like you can a book.
regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 13-08-10, 04:09

Default 2 quality books with mega images and....

Similar approach to Grant.....

I would pay extra for more pictures and 2 + volumes..... a real definitive piece of art...... but would also like a high quality CD... no tect just all the pictures. My experience is that with my software programs I can enlarge and seek out the details that are relevant in restoration work.... only a CD can give you that.

Preview that we have seen at the BBQ sure wetted our appetite.

Boob
Canada
Old 13-08-10, 23:17
Dog Robber

Hi Clive:

Sorry to be late to the party, but...........

I will gladly pay for one, two or three books at whatever price you have to get.

On the other hand, even at the not so tender age of 70, I have become addicted to the computer way of doing things and I am very comfortable with using such files to do my research.

When pressed, I can take my laptop, my wine and my fags out to the patio and continue my research when I want to get out of my home office and library type stuff.

Plus.............I would bet you already have the bulk if not all of the book materiel in digital form and could release a CD long before the one, two or three books.

If that premise is true, I would vote for releasing the CD ASAP and then carrying on with the books.

Bill