MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 21-02-08, 04:53

Default Carrier hull weight

Has any of our Australian friends ever put their truck or trailer with a carrier hull over a weigh bridge? the reason that I ask this question is I am trying to estimate the weight of a stripped uncut hull, no engine .and no rear tool plate, no gear box no,air scoop,no engine cover,no fuel tanks,no diff,no front seats,no steering colum no,steering box and spyder , no front mudguards, I know that the unladen original weight is given as 3Ton 13 cwt,
I have been estimating the weight of the removed items and still come up with a figue of just over two ton? can anyone get any closer to the actual weight,I have never come across any referance anywhere regarding an empty hull, would there be any shipping records out there with these details
Say any from the various builders S.A rail Vic rail.W.A rail Ford home bush Metro gas, I have a hull here but its just to big for the bath room scales
Thanks guys if one of you can come up with a better figue it will be a big help, Regards, Ron
Old 21-02-08, 10:13
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default I've estimated the weight, Ron

at about one tonne. Back in 1995 when I had the stripped uncut LP2 hull sandblasted, I measured up all the plates and calculated their area x thickness to get the volume, and multiplied by 7840kg per cubic metre which is the density of steel.

I would have to dig out the envelope with the calculations on it from the archives (= read 'mess of paper in the room that's called an office'!)

I carted it on a U1700L Unimog that I borrowed for the day, and brought it home on a tandem trailer. It was fun getting it off and onto the floor of the garage.

Hope that helps
Rob
Old 21-02-08, 10:42

Many years ago I weighed a LP2 hull with a HIAB crane and weight gauge, cut rear sides and rear hull wall and many of the same bits missing; however, with tube axle and rear suspension units there, it weighed 900kg. So I would safely approximate the weight at 1000kg. This is a guide only. I hope it helps a bit.
Old 21-02-08, 11:27

Default Hull weight

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the reply to my question, I had figured that there was about 3880--4000 lb of various bits and pieces that had been removed and came up with the figure of 4000lb hull weight, I might have mis judged the track weight, i had a cut down hull some time ago that was weighed with a set of British track and that was only about a ton, so it seems that a ton is about right,
thanks regards,
Ron
Old 21-02-08, 11:30

Default Hull weight

Hi Darrin,
Thanks for the reply, I reckon that both you and Rob are about spot on with the weight at about a ton, I must have buggered my calculations along the line somewhere, maybe someone else out there can help out,
Thanks Darrin, Regards, Ron
Old 21-02-08, 19:48
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default Cheers Ron

i have seen a figure somewhere for the weight of tracks, possibly in a Brit or Canadian carrier manual. I think its several hundred weight each...

With a stripped hull, all those little fittings add up too: they don"t use thin materials for the brackets - think of the weight of an ammo box filled with brackets and parts.

Rob

ps I'm Kiwi but I have 2 generations buried in Oz