MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 03-02-15, 17:31

Default Fury ...

There is probably as thread about this somewhere on here already, but I haven't located it.

There is an excellent analysis/critique of 'Fury' by Frank Jardim (retired Director, Patton Museum of Armor, Ft Knox KY) in the latest issue of the MVPA's Supply Line magazine. I think Frank has picked up on several point that jarred with me when I saw the movie, but despite the obvious flaws, I still found the film enormously entertaining (in a Hollywood sort of way...).

One thing that I haven't chased down, but may get a quick answer from here, is the mounting of both a flex 50 and a 30 on the turret roof of a Sherman: was that configuration based on fact or .... ? Seems to me the operator/loader should be more concerned with loading the main armament and keeping the 30 co-ax fed and firing than having his head out of the turret fighting his own private war with an exposed 30cal flex gun. Comments?

Mike
Old 03-02-15, 23:37
Tony VAN RHODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
There is probably as thread about this somewhere on here already, but I haven't located it.

One thing that I haven't chased down, but may get a quick answer from here, is the mounting of both a flex 50 and a 30 on the turret roof of a Sherman: was that configuration based on fact or .... ? Seems to me the operator/loader should be more concerned with loading the main armament and keeping the 30 co-ax fed and firing than having his head out of the turret fighting his own private war with an exposed 30cal flex gun. Comments?

Mike
Hi Mile

There is a story on the making of the film in the Dec 2014/Jan. 2015 edition of SUPPLY LINE and they quote in the story making the film that because the tank drivers were buttoned up the only way, for the purpose of the film they could make contact and control the tanks was by adding the 50 Cal gunners. A good story and worth a read with lots of photos.

Cheers

Tony