MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-19, 16:11

Default WWII pack frame. What’s it worth?

A friend of mine found this. Dated 45.
Attached Thumbnails
B724BFA7-F3E2-4FA1-BAF6-A75556C9B36F.jpeg  
Old 06-12-19, 17:07

Default G.S. Manpack Carrier

It is a British G.S. Manpack Carrier that came out at the tail-end of the SWW (after VE-Day) and could be used to carry anything bulky. This Manpack Carriers were quite plentiful and could be found in unissued condition with the little instruction booklet still tied to them and the one in the photograph may be missing some of the straps.
Old 06-12-19, 18:20

Default Yup I've got one

Hi Jesse & Ed

I've still got mine from the 1960s bought in Plymouth NH at a sporting good store, yes it had the little booklet that I may still have. It came with all sorts of extra straps.

Will have to find the photo of me using it as a teenager, went over to from a US rucksack as I needed to carry more stuff on mountain trips. Like it in that you could get the load higher up on your back. It also had a head strap to get the load off your shoulders for a break.

Seen photos of guys carring two 5 gallon gas cans on them.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 06-12-19, 18:27
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
It is a British G.S. Manpack Carrier that came out at the tail-end of the SWW (after VE-Day) and could be used to carry anything bulky. This Manpack Carriers were quite plentiful and could be found in unissued condition with the little instruction booklet still tied to them and the one in the photograph may be missing some of the straps.
They were also used for radio equipment, and there was a clip-on shelf to support the set plus a 'Leg, Electrical' that fastened to the top rail of the carrier and could be swung out to support the manpack at an angle where it would be stable for use as a ground station. Issued with the Wireless Set No.31, which lacked the protruding carrying attachments of the BC-1000 it was adapted from.

It was also used with the Wireless Set No.62, probably easier to use than the original brace straps and waistbelt or the later straps and back pad arrangement.

There have been recent sightings of some new or refinished versions apparently produced for the Parachute Regiment on the surplus market. These have modern nylon(?) webbing, plastic bungs in the ends of the frame, and a finish that doesn't fall off when you walk past it.
Old 06-12-19, 21:10

Not fun to use, have the nightmares to attest to that. Better than nothing but modern kit exceeds it easily. Great with radios.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 10-12-19, 03:44
Ian Cooper

Default value of carrier frame

Hello,
To answer your immediate question, it is not worth much. There are lots available and as indicated, compared to modern carriers, it is not much fun to carry.
As Chris wrote, I have the frame with the spike which allows the radio operator to stand the WS31 set up for easier use. And as he also said, the paint falls off if you look at it, as when the frames were manufactured, they weren't primed, just finished coated. You can't do that to aluminium as the paint dries and falls off in chunks. The ultimate solution was to anodize aluminium frames making a much stronger if not shinier finish.
Now, if you have a frame, the spike and the brackets for attaching the 10' antenna for the WS31, you may have more value. I have only seen one setup like this, and it is in my basement.
Regards,
Ian Cooper