MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 21-03-07, 00:56
Julian Kotting

Default Leyland Hippo's

I have a 1944 Hippo, I am interested in any pic or info on how they were used in WW2.
Attached Images

Old 21-03-07, 19:08

Default Hippo

The only thing I can say about the use of the Hippo is very,very slowly.

Green Greetings Hendrik
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 21-03-07, 19:21
Julian Kotting

we took her to Normandy in 2004, spent 2 great weeks there. Didn't pay for camping once! I will be at the Detling show on the August bank holiday weekend again this year. (Military Odessey).

She averages 26mph on a good run, normally around 6mpg.
Old 21-03-07, 22:48

Here are a couple of wartime photos of the Leyland Hippo MK 2, if yours is the same as the one as the drawing it is indeed a MK2 the MK2A had smaller dual rear wheels. They were employed in the main to transport bulk supplies over long routes in Europe, i had some information but am note to covinced as to its authenticy that some were issued to bridging units, this sounds feasable due to there size but i can find no record of this but it is possible that some may have been attatched to carry long componants. Another role that is also a possibility and a subject an old friend has asked me is would they have been used to tow the heavy trailer used by the flame throwing crocodile Churchill tank. We are certain that 10 ton trucks would have been used but are at the moment still unsure as to which make. You are probably aware these lorries were still in use well into the 1970s i used to observe many in for repair at the REME depot in Ashford, Richard spent most of his time working there i expect he can pin point the date of there last service. By the way Rashippo is only your handle what do we call you
cheers
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu3.jpg   mlu4.jpg  
Old 21-03-07, 23:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Freathy
You are probably aware these lorries were still in use well into the 1970s i used to observe many in for repair at the REME depot in Ashford, Richard spent most of his time working there i expect he can pin point the date of there last service.
Hi,

Les beat me to it! It is quite correct, a good number of Mk2 and Mk2a Hippos were put back in to service, not sure of exact date, but think it was late 1970's. They were issued out from Antwerp Vehicle Depot and brought back to UK, we looked after those that were at a nearby Vehicle Park, story goes that they were a stop gap because there was a delay in getting the new Foden 16 tonne 8x4 in to service. I would be pretty sure that most of those in preservation today, were from this re-released batch as they had been looked after for so long.

Your statement on top speed reminds me of meeting an old chap from Lancashire with a Hippo, at the Dorset Steam Fair one year. I commented on it being a slow journey and he said that 40 mph was cruising speed, I questioned this and apparantly there is a dodge where you can turn the auxillary box around to up the gearing.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 22-03-07, 00:23
Julian Kotting

My name is Julian and I live in Hertfordshire where the Hippo resides, She was a mK2a, but was converted to the mk2b spec before i got her.

I know of the aux gearbox dodge, but I have been debating on wether to do this, because the vehicle has terrible brakes even at slow speeds, (air over hydraulics) [like a series land rover only weighing 10 tonnes], some one suggested i do it but never excede 40mph, but....?

Any one is welcome to come and view the truck, I am doing the brakes at the mo to be ready for the shows this year.

regds
Julian.
Old 22-03-07, 00:40

Quote:
Originally posted by raschippo

I know of the aux gearbox dodge, but I have been debating on wether to do this, because the vehicle has terrible brakes even at slow speeds, (air over hydraulics) [like a series land rover only weighing 10 tonnes], some one suggested i do it but never excede 40mph, but....?

Julian,

I hesitated to mention that the brakes are not too hot on effort (air over hyd), one reason why I personally would not convert. The old guy did say, if memory serves me, that he could not get it in to top gear with this convertion!

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 22-03-07, 23:27

Hi Julian

I intend to agree with Richard re the auxillery gearbox best to leave well alone i used to have enough problems stopping our matador at 30 mph, the hippo carries a lot more weight and length plus of course its your pride and joy so needs to be treated with kid gloves, I note you are coming to Kent for the Detling show do you take her to the War and Piece show in July, you know back in the 1970s /early 80s quite a number of Hippos appeared at various rallies this seems to have faded in recent years big lumps like the Hippo dont rot away i wonder where they all are. meantime for your enjoyment here are a few more photos
1.RAF Hippo MK2A in the middle east post war, it appears to still be in bronze green and sports the heat resistant white roof
2. MK2 in the UK in the late 1950s serving with a Royal Engineers unit
3. MK2 up for auction at Ruddington i am certain that this is a field survey and photographic body
cheers
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu3.jpg   mlu4.jpg  
Old 23-03-07, 00:20
Julian Kotting

i'd love to fine a rear body like that field survey unit. do you kow if any survive?
Old 23-03-07, 10:26

I think you will find that body was fitted post-war and is therefore not appropriate if you are thinking about a war-time senerio.

It very likely came off of another war-time truck.
Old 23-03-07, 12:21
Julian Kotting

Thank you, I am looking for a body like that or a workshop body to save my existing original GS body. The reason being i am involved in a project raising money for Cancer Research UK. We are planning a trip from Cape Town to London by wait for it, yes you guessed it, by Hippo!! We need to coach fit the rear to accomodate four crew. It would be easier and cheaper to convert a workshop body, so the vehicle could be returned to WW2 spec when we return. This trip is being done on a minimal budget, and we have to raise all our funds by sponsorship, though the crew are putting in £5k each and their time. I am putting in my truck and a Landrover 127 crew cab.

Comments?

I can't seem to attach any pics any suggestions?
Old 23-03-07, 17:51

If you had not already purchased a Hippo I would have suggested a Militant as I believe most items in the spares line are still available.

Either that or something which goes faster than 30 mph.

There are instructions on how to post pictures under the Forum Readme section. The pictures probably need re-sizeing
Old 23-03-07, 18:25
Julian Kotting

Neil, My main interest is british Heavys, I owned an R100 Scamell pioneer when i was 17, and soldit in 2003 to buy the Hippo, I am currently looking at a second Mk2a hippo to go with this one. as the discussion is taking plave to take 2 Hippos to Africa, and no land rovers.
Could be fun!
regds
Julian
Attached Images

Old 03-04-07, 23:26

Just for comparison here is a shot of the MK1 hippo with open cab, a number were used and lost in France and a few were posted to the Middle East. I believe this photo was taken before the Dunkirk evacuation and i have still to find evidence of them in the UK after this period, i say this rather tongue in cheek because i am not to sure of the actual date in production that the MK2 superceded the MK1, the latter could well have still been in limited production due to the shortage of transport.
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu3.jpg  
Old 03-04-07, 23:29

Following sale by auction a number of various Hippos found there way into civilian employment as seen in these two photos of fairground operaters transport, seen here a MK2A and MK2
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mat4.jpg  
Old 03-04-07, 23:35

Oh Well all good things go wrong, thats my old matador during restoration, ill try again the photos are in the scan folder so i have no idea why the Mat appeared, here goes
Attached Thumbnails
mlu4.jpg  
Old 04-04-07, 00:43
M38A1 CDN3

Les:

Interesting and coincidental that the subject of Hippos should come up.

I refer to your archival article in the April 2007 edition of International Military Machines, p62.

Great reading!
Old 04-04-07, 08:50

Are there any other surviving war-time 10 tonners from other British manufacturers?

I assume not due to their size and low speed being of little use to civilian users. We a are lucky the army kept the Hippo's in service so long there by preserving them.
Old 02-01-13, 23:11
Julian Kotting

My Hippo is now for sale.