MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > Canadian Military Vehicle Organisations > Ontario Military Vehicle Association News

Notices

Old 21-03-19, 23:09

Default OMVA Annual General Meeting Saturday April 6, 2019

The 2019 OMVA Annual General Meeting will be held on Saturday April 6, 2019 as part of the OMVA Spring Militaria & Military Vehicle Parts Show at “The Old Armoury” in Georgetown, located in the Fairgrounds Park at 1 Park Avenue, Georgetown, L7G 1Y4.

For more information on the Spring Show and the new location see the MLU post : http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29780

This is notice of intent to amend the Constitution at the Annual General Meeting. The following proposed amendments were approved by the Executive on March 17, 2019 and will be submitted for membership approval:

Article 1. Name and Logo

Paragraph 2, add the following new sentence:

"Commencing in 2019 the logo of the Association shall be circular, with a red Maple Leaf in the center of a black stylized tire marked with the slogan “KEEP THEM ROLLING” and the name “ONTARIO MILITARY VEHICLE ASSOCIATION” within the border surrounding the tire."

Paragraph 3, line 1, amend “logo” to “logos”

Article 6. Elections

Paragraph 3, sentence 2, amend by deleting ", except for the elected position of Secretary/Membership Coordinator and Treasurer, which may be combined, if necessary" .

Paragraph 5, amend to read "The call for nominations will be issued by November 10 prior to the election term and nominations will close after 10 days."

If you have any questions please contact any member of the Executive. See you at the Show.

Barry Churcher, Secretary / Membership Coordinator

March 21, 2019
Old 23-03-19, 17:19

Default Proposed Logo Change

Hello

Having been on the executive, I hate to be critical.

However I feel that the ball has been dropped pertaining to the proposal to change the OMVA logo.

The first that I have heard of any interest in changing it was when I received an e-mail this week announcing the new design would be voted on at the AGM. It came to me as a surprise.

I feel this should have been discussed with the membership for input before being presented to vote on. We have this forum, e-mail, CMP Magazine and FB , so there is no excuse.

I do not necessarily agree that there needs to be a change, but if there is going to be a change it should be done right the first time around and it should be ORIGINAL.

The wording " KEEP THEM ROLLING" is already being used by a Dutch Military vehicle collectors group as their name and for an event. It is also associated with the original Red Ball Express, a WW2 US supply route.

It could be confused to indicate that we are affiliated to that group or event.

When I hear " KEEP THEM ROLLING" I myself do not associate it with CDN history.

There are other options for wording, such as " KEEPING HISTORY ON THE MOVE", "HISTORY ON THE MOVE" etc.

Just spelling out "Ontario Military Vehicle Association" alone will make it more understandable. There is no need to also try to explain what we do in the logo.

We should defer any proposed changes until the membership has an opportunity to provide feedback. Then it should come up for a vote with various options.

On another note should it be bilingual... EH? Ok now I am just stirring the pot.

Thanks

Eric
Old 24-03-19, 04:45

I would like other OMVA members to comment or ask questions if they have any about the new logo that was presented in a recent email blast to the membership. I posted a rather long replay on our Facebook page if you wish to read it.
Old 24-03-19, 17:43

Default 2019 OMVA Annual General Meeting - Saturday April 6th.

The quantity of feedback on the proposed logo change has been good, varied, shows that OMVA members are actively involved and care about our association. This is awesome! An email giving details, showing the design and inviting feedback/comments was sent out to members. We are getting a variety of responses but since this is an OMVA issue, we respectfully ask that only actual association members respond whether it is here, on Facebook or by email. As per the notice at the top of this thread, our annual AGM will be held on April 6th. We invite and encourage everyone, member or non-member, to come out and participate. The event is not just our AGM but is also our spring Militaria and Military Vehicle Parts Show.
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29780
If you’re not an OMVA member, perhaps you will consider joining once you get to see what we’re all about and meet other members. We understand that physically attending the AGM may not be possible for everyone but a response to our email that shares your opinion on the design would be greatly appreciated. The Executive looks forward to seeing as many of you as possible on the 6th and help us get the 2019 MV started. It was a long winter!
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 24-03-19 at 18:39.
Old 24-03-19, 17:44

Default Change to OMVA Logo

Dear Leslie

Thank you for your informative response on FB.

I was very careful to look on MLU, FB and in CMP Magazine prior to posting and never saw any mention of a change to the OMVA logo. If I did miss it somewhere I do apologize.

I am not arguing that there is not a need to change or refresh the logo, just the process how the proposed design came about. Which did not include the opportunity for input from all of the members.

Please be advised that I will be submitting a proposal at the AGM to defer the voting on any change to the logo until the membership has had an opportunity to discuss it and make recommendations.

Respectfully

Eric B
Old 24-03-19, 18:03
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Witiuk View Post
but since this is an OMVA issue, we respectfully ask that only actual association members respond

I have no stake in the OMVA's direction, but as a whole the various provincial clubs seem to have adopted the old command shields, the way the OMVA has for the past decades. Although the shields are slightly post-war, they make for a good historical addition to the vehicles. What is the historical background of this new design?
Old 24-03-19, 19:24
Ed Wand

Default OMVA New Crest

Debates about changing Crests and Insignia can be very divisive, as witness the present debate.

Decisions for change should be by consensus; 50% plus 1 is not enough. Until this week most members were unaware of any proposal for a new Crest and have had absolutely no opportunity to provide input.

Barry Churcher's notice of motion does not provide a copy of either the old or the proposed new crest and it should.

Eric Brown is absolutely correct when he says any decision on a new crest should be deferred until members have had an opportunity to discuss. This delay should be for no less than 12 months.

We should welcome informed comment about a new crest from all wishing to submit comments. Developing crests and insignia is a complicated process and the OMVA will need all the input it can get

This crest proposal seems to be a Toronto centric one. As the current approval process is structured, only people who can travel to the annual meeting can vote. What about people from Eastern Ontario. For example, OMVA members who were members of the former Frontenac Motor Vehicle Association.

A mail in vote is needed. This is too important a matter to be made only by those members within driving distance of the Georgetown AGM.

The Central Command shield should be retained. While perhaps not memorable to younger members, it is certainly important to those of us who served under it.

Whatever crest is adopted it should pay tribute to our shared Canadian and Commonwealth heritage. The proposed crest does not do this. The phrase "Keep them Rolling" is an American construct as is the Red Ball Express. Far better to include the very significant phrase "Maple Leaf Up" in the design.

What about the Royal Canadian Army Service Corp (RCASC) and its Commonwealth companions. Its Latin motto is not suitable for this crest but there may be others that are.

Canada and Ontario are officially bilingual. Having some French in our crest will provide the Association with added creditability when dealing with governments.

Putting a tire in the design in effect commemorates tires. Why commemorate tires? I am unaware of any circumstance where Canadian Tires made the world safe for democracy. What about commemorating the CMP; s truly magnificent example of the contribution made by Canada towards gaining the final Allied victory against the Axis powers.

All of this is to say that much work and consultation is needed before any vote can take place on a new crest, if indeed one is even needed.
Old 25-03-19, 18:30

Default I love it................

People would remember it.................

Thanks for the chuckle!!!!!
Canada
Old 26-03-19, 02:25

Stuart as Terry has pointed out we have done a lot of work on this logo and would have been remiss had we not had a conversation with the Keep Them Rolling club in The Netherlands. We approached them at the very beginning and have received their blessing on using the phrase "Keep Them Rolling". We therefore will not misappropriate their name and we can only hope to attain their reputation. Having participated in fourteen events with the Keep Them Rolling club I am well aware of their professionalism and the quality of their restorations. We are all in this to make the hobby better and enjoy our vehicles. I can understand why you don't want to be a member of the OMVA but quality restorations such as yours would help make our events more interesting to fellow collectors and the general public. Thanks for your input Stuart and happy restoring. Hey maybe that would be a phrase for the logo. Let's Keep on Restoring.
Cheers
Barry
Old 27-03-19, 02:25

Default suggested solution

Hello All

A few days back on the OMVA FB group I mentioned a possible solution.

It seems the push is to have the new logo in time to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the OMVA. Which is a significant milestone.

This can be done without changing the OMVA Logo and will not require a membership vote, nor require following the process laid out in the OMVA Constitution.

If a 40th Anniversary special badge/logo was created by using the logo which was sent out as its base. With the addition of 40th Anniversary, or 1979-2019, or Keeping them rolling since 1979. It can become this special badge and does not require voting nor discussion. It can be added to merchandise to be ready for the summer events.

OMVA merchandise using other than the OMVA logo has been available in the past.

Thanks

Eric
Old 27-03-19, 15:31

Default 30th Anniversary 05 June

Hello

I took a look at my files.

I am not sure where the 40th Anniversary date is coming from. The OMVA was incorporated on 05 June 1989, which makes it a 30th Anniversary. This is still a milestone event and worthwhile to commemorate for a MV Club.

There were other MV clubs in Ontario prior to the OMVA such as the MVA, whom had a publication called Quad dating back to 1978.

Thanks

Eric
Old 27-03-19, 20:57

Default Answer to 40th Anniversary

Hello

I had a response from Terry this morning on the OMVA FB page.

I did a little more digging as well and discovered I was wrong when Quad was published. It was first published in 1977 and looks like it was last published in 1979. According to the Library and Archives Canada files, having had only 5 issues. This was the magazine for The Military Vehicle Association, which is not considered the beginning of the OMVA.

It might be the first attempt to create a MV club in Ontario.

I do know there were some other MV get togethers and it seems that 1979 is when the first get together started under the OMVA banner. CMP Magazine was first published in 1988 while a year later the OMVA was incorporated.

There was a newsletter initially and i do not know when that was first published.

So 40th Anniversary it is.

Thank you to those of you who helped get the OMVA off of the ground and to keeping it moving ahead, which includes the current executive.

Eric
Old 29-03-19, 01:49

Default New Logo

You asked for feedback on the new logo proposal - here is my 2 cents worth!
I feel that the existing logo is just fine. What is the purpose of the proposed change? To get more people involved? I don't think that a logo change would do that.
The new logo does not seem to have any "character" to me - and has no historical significance that I can see. The existing logo does have historical significance. Change for change's sake is seldom worth the effort!
Whatever is decided I will go along with of course.
Old 30-03-19, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
This past week there was an unofficial meet and eat at one of the local food buffet venues for about fourteen Historic Military Vehicle owners and re-enactors in Ottawa. There were more past members of OMVA than currently active members of OMVA in attendance. The conversation turned to many things about OMVA, including why folks were no longer members. The topic of valued added services came up. There was general consensus that one of the best value added services that the new executive of OMVA could do would be to act as the co-ordinating body for those with Historic Vehicle plates:

(OREG 628)
“historic vehicle” means, a motor vehicle that,
(a) is at least 30 years old,
(b) is operated on a highway in parades, for purposes of exhibition, tours or similar functions organized by a properly constituted automobile club or for purposes of repair, testing or demonstration for sale,
(c) is substantially unchanged or unmodified from the original manufacturer’s product, and
(d) does not have attached to it year-of-manufacture plates

This is the one area that OMVA could act as a co-ordinating body when the Historic Military Vehicle is operated on a highway in parades, for purposes of exhibition, tours or similar functions organized by a properly constituted automobile club.

So now we have a value added service that could be done by OMVA, that would be of value to everyone in Ontario, not just those in the GTA.

It was noted in the previous threads on MLU, that in other provinces, the local Historic Military Vehicle groups do this service.

Ref: http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showpo...3&postcount=13

I suggest a complete read through the following thread. (when I last checked. This thread had 38,544 views, so it is a subject of much interest)

Ref: http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24520

It should be noted that at the unofficial meet and eat, that those who were no longer OMVA members, or were perhaps/maybe/sorta interested in joining OMVA, that this value added service by OMVA would make it worth while to join OMVA.

My recommendation would be for OMVA to focus on value added services that would be of benefit to all of those in Ontario. The addition of co-ordinating events such as in parades, for purposes of exhibition, tours or similar functions organized by a properly constituted automobile club, would be a great OMVA value added service. Who knows, I may even join OMVA for this service…..

Regards, Stuart

Stuart, you appear to have raised an issue about regional bias, in particular with the manner that you commented on what you believe is a GTA centric concern.

I have a suggestion:

Stuart Fedak for an OMVA executive position responsible for recognizing and cordinating regional chapters that brings each local organization an opportunity to enter under the umbrella of the OMVA if that local entity so chooses.

Could Stuart be assigned the regional chapters portfolio with a view to reviewing and reporting how the applicable Ontario Regulation covering historic vehicle permits and their use has impacted local events?

I ask, as I wonder how the specific regulation has affected events such as the Tulip Festival, former Coe Hill parades, and other regional show events in Eastern Ontario as well as the rest of Ontario?
__________________________________________________ ______________

I expect once our venting over the process of a recently proposed logo change has been satisfactorily resolved, the club executive can continue to build on the good work performed these past four years. Has that been four years without a complaint?

Keep up the good work.

Disclaimer: I am not a member of the OMVA.

Last edited by Michael R.; 06-04-19 at 13:40.
Old 03-04-19, 04:08

Default Bully tactics not appreciated

Hello Everybody

I voiced my opinion earlier on the topic of the Official OMVA logo change, NOT because I was against it, but as an OMVA member I had felt left out of the process.

In reality we are not required to be part of the process other than when it comes down to vote yay or nay at the AGM.

I am not going to discus that topic further as that is not my intention with this post.

I did have a long constructive discussion with Les and I am happy to see the OMVA is moving ahead in many ways.

This forum and the OMVA facebook page are suppose to be a tool for members to communicate in.

My intent was not to attack the executive but to open constructive communication.

It seems some people do not know what that is.

I was sad to hear that some people took this opportunity to bully and show disrespect to the executive members.

Those people who initiated bully tactics should be ashamed of themselves and I apologize to the Executive for this.

Remember these Executive members are volunteers. If you think you can do a better job then step up to the plate.

Thank you Executive for listening and your continued hard work.

I look forward to seeing you at the 06 April show.

Eric
Old 06-04-19, 00:41

Will their still be a show in Milton at Steam Era this year?

Old 18-04-19, 00:13

Default OMVA Milton 2019

Hi John. Yes, there will be a show in Milton this year, Labour Day Weekend. We will continue to be participants at Steam Era but the venue has changed from Country Heritage Park to the Hume Auction Farm, just a few kilometers away. Once we get more details about the new site and take a tour, a formal announcement will be posted here on MLU, Facebook and by email to all OMVA members.
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)
Old 30-04-19, 23:19

FYI,
For OMVA and MLU members here is more info on Steam Era for 2019 and the directions for the new location for OMVA Milton 2019 at Milton Steam Era.I can post this again after Terry makes the formal announcement about OMVA Milton 2019.Looking forward to seeing the OMVA out again this year at Steam Era

www.steam-era.com

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sh...!4d-79.9063701
Attached Thumbnails
59th Annual Steam Era 2019.jpg  

Old 01-05-19, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Witiuk View Post
Hi John. Yes, there will be a show in Milton this year, Labour Day Weekend. We will continue to be participants at Steam Era but the venue has changed from Country Heritage Park to the Hume Auction Farm, just a few kilometers away. Once we get more details about the new site and take a tour, a formal announcement will be posted here on MLU, Facebook and by email to all OMVA members.

Thanks Terry

Old 29-05-19, 18:51

Would it be possible for someone to post pictures of the new or 40th Anniversary logo?.I would be interested in seeing them.Congrats to the OMVA on 40 years