MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-06-03, 16:53
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default RCAF Clothing

Just stumbled onto an old box of my father's... in it were some interesting bits of old clothing from his RCAF days (1944-45). First, there's a battledress in VG condition, along with his service dress jacket. Next, a very ratty blue parka with the label gone but a nice c-broad arrow imprint; and lastly, an insulated flight suit, labelled "Deacon Flying-suit 1942". The last is interesting because it has a zipped-on collar about 5 inches high, lined with fur on the inside, but the same blue denim as the parka on the outside. It also has two blue denim, fur-lined pockets sewn on at hip level on the front of the suit. Is this normal?

BTW, I'm keeping his service dress jacket, but if someone involved with the air side is interested in this battledress and flight suit, I'll entertain offers... I do the army side, and just can't envision a use for this stuff. It might as well go to a person or organization who will use/display it properly, in the right environment. BTW, the b/d jacket is size 12, T Eaton Co. 1942, the trousers size 11 1942. The flying suit is in "good" condition, somewhat soiled and with a couple of seams opened and one leg zipper all there but inoperable, but it can be easily repaired.

It's interesting stuff. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Geoff
Old 26-06-03, 00:20

Default Although it might fit me, . . . .

Why don't you offer to outfit a mannikin for the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton? On my visit last year, I do not remember uniform items on display anywhere.

Just a thought.

Bob
Old 27-06-03, 15:06
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Bob

I've thought about things like that, Bob, but with the relative instability of all small military museums in Canada at the moment (thank you Sheila Copps : ), I'd rather it went to a dedicated collector.

As such, I've sold the b/d to one such person already, but still have the flight suit.

Ref the latter, I'd still be interested to know if those blue fur-lined pockets and collar are standard on a khaki flight suit!
Old 28-06-03, 03:20

Default For us auslanders, who's Sheila Copps?

I hate to announce myself as a member of the Great Unwashed, but who is this bird who strikes terror into vaunted CMP restorers and Vegemite consumers?

Seriously, The Canadian Warplanes Heritage Museum did not seem to me to be a small museum, or at least one that was living hand-to-mouth. Is its foundation that wobbly?

The flight suit. How about RAF Hendon? That museun is not going anywhere, is it?

Wishing I had a bottle of Welington Brewery Honey Lager . . . .

Bob
Old 28-06-03, 16:36
RIP

Default You don't have to go that far(RAF Hendon)

Hi Bob,
Two hours east of Toronto is our big Canadian air force(Transport Squadron-Hercules aircraft) base on Lake Ontario called Trenton.During WW2 it was a BCATP training base)They have static aircraft displays adjacent to their indoor museum.They are famous for currently restoring the only complete Halifax bomber they found in a Norweign fyord.Been there twice(on my way to Toronto over the last two years).It's almost complete.Anyway,they have complete static uniform displays inside.If you want a tour, log on & search the web .Try Halifax bomber-Trenton.You'll be guided to the site,& inside you have a virtual tour of the uniform/flying suit section.Good luck