MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 25-06-09, 00:42
Terry Warner

Default Alberta to restrict armoured vehicles on the road

After 1 July the police will be empowered to pull armoured vehicles off the road for "inspections". Evidently the gangs are slabbing plate armour on their SUVs, but collectors were never considered in the preparation of this law.

Spread the word to your AFV collector friends.

http://alberta.ca/acn/200906/2632012...A30AC34F3.html

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 25-06-09, 03:52
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Default Alberta bans armoured vehicles to slow gangs

The following is another article on the subject. It shows the types of vehicles that the law is aimed at. This does not include our historical military vehicle.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...s-alberta.html

Regards,
Al Nickolson
Vice-President
MVPA
Old 25-06-09, 04:00
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nickolson View Post
The following is another article on the subject. It shows the types of vehicles that the law is aimed at. This does not include our historical military vehicle.

Regards,
Al Nickolson
Vice-President
MVPA
Nor does it exempt them. From the article: "The new law won't affect legitimate vehicles such as military-owned equipment, trucks used to transport cash for banks, or other armoured vehicles purchased directly from manufacturers". My armoured vehicles don't fit in any of those categories. On the other hand, the quote is from a CBC reporter and not the actual Bill. I think it's worth reading the actual proposed document to see if we armoured collectors are protected.
Old 25-06-09, 13:27
Terry Warner

Default exempt or not?

On the Alberta press release there are three names. I've written to ask clarification specifically for restored military vehicles. While the law is clearly announced as intended to preempt the after-market modified armoured SUVs and limos that apparently some bad guys are driving elsewhere, the weight and manoueverablity tests would catch most old technology too. So, the requirement is to pressure the authorities that gang-and-gun law enforcement is not the same as living (rolling?) historic vehicle restoration. As a regulation this is an easy item to address, likely under the minister's signature without going to cabinet.

I hate to sound dramatic, but this opens a door we don't need opened. Replica firearms are already banned. Destructive devices are supposedly carefully controlled. Numerous cartridges and firearms types are prohibited. To a layman 'armoured car' means cash delivery truck not 'one of six in Canada'. It only takes one weasel to whisper something ridiculous into the ear of a 'gotta do something' politician for our hobby to lose more ground.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 25-06-09, 13:39
GM Fox I

Default Don't underestimate...

...the lack of informed lawmakers in this country. They wouldn't intentionally (I hope) ban private, restored antique vehicles, but because they probably don't realize such things exist they might do it by accident.
Old 28-06-09, 05:04

Default Armored Vehicles to be banned in Alberta

The Minister of justice is introducing a bill to out right ban armored vehicles in Alberta, CA.She says that criminals are using them to commit crime .I wonder how it will effect us collecters of armored vehicles .I wrote her a message and should get a reply on Monday . I heard that there is similar action going on in BC .Is this another " gun control " police state legislation for the good guys ?
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 28-06-09, 06:04
Taisto Hako-oja

It's funny that they didn't ban Fords in the thirty's. The criminals used them. I think they should ban politicians, they are dangerous and unpredictable. I guess I'll have to stop production of my progressive combustion long range drill pipe.
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP

Last edited by Ledsel; 28-06-09 at 06:10.
Old 29-06-09, 01:27

Default Alberta To Ban armored vehicles

I am curently developing 9 Patents .I have the first one done ,which is a tool to drill metal ,a portable drill press . My daughter's drug store was robbed at gun point twice two and a half years ago by the same criminal .He was caught the second time by the police with the goods on him . He has not gone to trial yet .But I think I have the solution . It's called "JUSTICE" .This machine has a finger print reader ,a lie detecter, a computer ,and a punishing part, if you are guilty .The police take the criminal and strap him on the machine . It reads his finger prints which will determine how much punishment will be dished out . The lie detector will determine if guilty or not . The police will put in the computer what type of crime was committed and go for coffee If it says he is guilty the machine will give the criminal the appropiate lashes. This will have a big effect on repeat offenders 'more offenses more punishment .The juges will have time for more hollidays and the police will enjoy there coffee more knowing that justice was done .This will shorten the backlog in the courts ,we will be able to walk on our streets at night without fear george
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 29-06-09, 03:20
Taisto Hako-oja

Wright on!!!
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP
Old 30-06-09, 00:30
Terry Warner

Default text of the regulation

I don't feel any safer, but at least the statement is conditional on the armoured vehicle being "a hazard". Make sure your bumpers, hand brake and 4-way hazard lights work.

'Hello Maple Leaf:

Thank you for your email of June 24, 2009 regarding armored vehicles.

The new section of the Vehicle Equipment Regulation is intended to address any armored vehicle that is unsafe to operate or not in compliance with the regulation. This new provision is to place stiffer penalties on armored vehicles that are not modified or constructed properly, due to the increased hazard these vehicles have to other road users.

A properly built and maintained armored vehicle is still allowed to be on the road.

You may view the new regulation here (section 79.1 pertains to armored vehicles):
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?pag...=9780779741847

If you have any further questions please contact me.

Chris Yanitski
Vehicle Safety E.I.T.
Alberta Transportation
chris.yanitski@gov.ab.ca'

"Armoured vehicles

79.1 A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle that has been constructed or modified so that it protects its occupants from firearms or explosive devices if the motor vehicle, as a result of the construction or modification, is unsafe to operate or does not meet the other requirements of this Regulation."

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 30-06-09, 22:58
zipperhead

Default No new powers...

Al may have a better feel for this, but since "our" armoured vehicles are produced as armoured vehicles by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and are not modified by the "aftermarket" or anyone else I wonder if this law applies? Our vehicles are antiques, are they not?

Vehicles are made to the standards and regulations in force at that time, I am sure and early Ford Model T does not meet any of the standards outlined in todays CMVSS specifications, however it is still allowed to be licenced for road use because it was acceptable when first approved.

A new vehicle (approved to today's standards) once modified by a non-OEM approved company may no longer meet the standards it was originally required to meet and therefore should not be licenced for road use.

This law gives the police no more power than they have already, if they think your vehicle is unsafe or it is being used for criminal activity they can sieze it. If they question its suitablility for road use, they can impound it and require the vehicle be tested to a standard provincial inspection. Provincial inspections are normally only checks, vehicles are not driven.
Old 30-06-09, 23:17
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post

This law gives the police no more power than they have already.
So this is a meaningless law that makes people feel good without actually addressing the real problem? One that restricts things for regular people because criminals use similar things for committing crimes? Where oh where have I seen this silliness before?
Old 01-07-09, 03:02

Default Armoured vehicles

Hmm. I wonder how the Police will identify these armoured vehicles? Can you tell which is the armoured vehicle? Actually they both are. Thanks to Hanno Spoelstra for the use of the picture of the c-15 TA.

Last edited by Paul Singleton; 12-01-20 at 15:32.
Old 03-07-09, 13:29
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
So this is a meaningless law that makes people feel good without actually addressing the real problem? One that restricts things for regular people because criminals use similar things for committing crimes? Where oh where have I seen this silliness before?
In BANada, sorry, Canada. What foolishness! More feel-good legislation for the Sheeple.
Old 03-07-09, 14:34
Taisto Hako-oja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
In BANada, sorry, Canada. What foolishness! More feel-good legislation for the Sheeple.
You've got that wright!
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP