MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 26-08-04, 08:17

Default 504 dns timeout

Hi Guys,

Afriend of mine has been trying to get onto the MLU web site, but every time he tries he gets an error message of '504 DNS TIMEOUT'
has anybody any suggestions on how to correct this, he is running microsoft xp

thanks

mike

44 gpw/44 bantam t3 trailer
Old 26-08-04, 15:40
Old Sigs Type

Default Re: 504 dns timeout

Quote:
Originally posted by gpwmike
Hi Guys,

Afriend of mine has been trying to get onto the MLU web site, but every time he tries he gets an error message of '504 DNS TIMEOUT'
has anybody any suggestions on how to correct this, he is running microsoft xp

thanks

mike

44 gpw/44 bantam t3 trailer
It sounds like your friend's ISP (Internet Service Provider) is having problems with their DNS (Domain Name Server).

DNS is much like a telephone directory - it matches IP addresses to names and vice-versa. If that server has problems, you will not get out to the World Wide Web.

Frank ...
Old 26-08-04, 15:57
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Correct, Frank...

It's a general slowdown of the complex network between the gentleman's ISP and my host's DNS server. If the trouble were on my end, NO ONE would have been able to get in.

I have noticed in the last week that some internet trunks have slowed down to a crawl at times, yet others have remained relatively fast. If you think of the internet as a whole as a giant 'spider web', one of the strands somewhere from point A to point B was broken, and the subsequent attempt to reroute through another strand(s) caused the timeout. Tell your buddy to keep trying...

Geoff
Old 26-08-04, 16:27

Thanks guys,

What is strange is the fact that he can access any other web site,only this one causes him problems, I will tell him to keep trying.... in the mean time he is going to use my pc.
He has just bought a T16 and everybody tells him that this site is the best..

mike
Old 26-08-04, 16:53
Old Sigs Type

Quote:
Originally posted by gpwmike
Thanks guys,

What is strange is the fact that he can access any other web site,only this one causes him problems, I will tell him to keep trying.... in the mean time he is going to use my pc. ...

mike
There must be a broken gate in the path between your friend's ISP and Geoff's provider.

The path between your PC and the other end can be checked by doing a "trace route". Go to a DOS prompt (Win98/Win95) or "command" prompt (Win2k/WinXP) and type "tracert mapleleafup.org" (without the quotation marks). Each line that comes up is a router (or gate). Somewhere in the path you will see a "timeout" (broken gate) and it could stop there. If it finds an alternate path to get through to the other end, it will continue. If too much time is taken to reach the other end by going through detours, you can still get a "504" error.

I hope this isn't confusing and gives you a basic idea of how you go from your PC to your destination.

Frank ...
Old 26-08-04, 17:14
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Red face Oops

Yeah, forgot about the tracert command. There are services which you can pull up on the web to do this too, but using your command prompt traces the whole route literally from your own PC. I just tried it and found the greatest slowdown to be getting through the Sympatico network... after that the returns were almost instantaneous. That must be the cause of the slowdowns I've been seeing as well.
Old 26-08-04, 22:29

Thanks for the advice guys, I will have a go at doing the trace.

mike
Old 27-08-04, 23:31
Dog Robber

This may not help at all but many of us have more than one IP to choose from. In my case, I "buy" AOL because it is content rich but is subject to every known virus, spyware etc. on the planet. It can also be slowed down by the very content I like.

I have a DSL account with my local telephone provider which is one of the former Big Bell companies and is pretty robust even if light in content. I also have accounts with my cable TV company and another with MSN which came with this PC. As well, I have another Bell South account courtesy of my package deal with them at my store.

Sorry to babble, but usually one or the other of those will let me li nk to MLU, for example, when the string interruptions on AOL get really aggraviting. If you have more than one ISP, try it to see if it works better. I do still use my AOL internet addie 100 % because it works best by the way.
Bill