MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 04-06-19, 14:01

Default Aquino Tank Weekend - June 8th & 9th, 2019 - Oshawa

Aquino Tank Weekend 2019 - June 8th & 9th. Only a few days away! The OMVA is proud to be participating with a member vehicle display. Come out to enjoy and support this event. With the 75th Anniversary of D-Day only two days before, Aquino Tank Weekend will be a great way to continue the remembrance and honour of all Veterans. See you there.
http://www.ontrmuseum.ca/tankmuseum/aquino-weekend/
Attached Thumbnails
AQUINOtankweekend.jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)
Old 24-06-19, 04:41

Default Aquino 2019

Went to the Saturday shows of this year's incarnation of Aquino Tank Weekend. Was impressed by the large number of new vehicles on display. It was fantastic. My only questions are why were there no vendors there this year, apart from the museum tent and the Surplus guy; and why was the model contest not included?
Peter
Old 24-06-19, 22:58

Peter the Aquino event is their biggest fund raiser of the year. The current view is that if a vendor shows up selling things that would take revenue from the museum store then its counter productive to the museum.
We are trying to work with the museum to see if we can work that out for next year. It is a big concern for us as you may know. Vending does bring people to the show. There was at least two people from Montreal that would have come if there were to be be vending. We just need to do a better job conveying that to the museum.
I don't have an answer for the modellers. That would need to be answered by the modular them selves.
Old 24-06-19, 23:59

Im not part of the club that runs the model contest at Aquino, however I did know a few of the guys that are part of the club. They decided last year to not do a model contest at Aquino this year due to the parent organization having its national convention in Buffalo in May. They felt having that two shows very close together in both time and travel distance of a few hrs would be to close. Plus a lot of the same people had helped organize the Buffalo show and they couldn’t overtax their group of workers.

As for the lack of vendors. Past years, this was one of the highlights for me with this show. I could always find some part I had been looking for. It was a let down and disappointment for me that the museum/show organizers decided to make it so it wasn’t financially viable for pretty much any vendor to have a booth.

The show used to be about Canadian Military history and all facets of the hobby, whether it was tanks, other Canadian Military vehicles, various clubs such as the OMVA, a militaria show, plastic model contest and vendors of plastic models (what better place to see the real thing and then buy a plastic model of it) living history camps, and some battle reenactments that showed a variety of things to the general public. This past years show to me was a disappointment (let me be clear, this does not reflect on the OMVA at all) I hauled my Jeep there knowing I’d be day tripping it. I got there nice and early and found the OMVA layout. I then asked about where vendors were only to be told there were none. Then I went off to find out about the battle re-enactment. Only to be told, we don’t want your medical Jeep as we only want to feature our tanks. Some friends also got told no to their mortar and mg (they are older and can’t run around like they used to but still enjoy taking part). After watching the mess of the battle (tanks parking on top of small hills and showing off reproduction German vehicles (so much for honouring our Canadian vets) I simply shook my head and thought I’m glad I didn’t participate in this mess. so I figure we at least we still have the OMVA drivepast. Nope another no. The museum only wanted to feature their tanks and others owned by someone who leaves them at the museum and nothing else it seemed. If the museum doesn’t want to support these other displays I’m fine with that and I won’t be back.

It wasn’t a complete let down (not because of anything the museum did to help) but the OMVA did a great job of having a great little bbq at the end of the day along with some awards. I did enjoy that and catching up with other members.

Sadly this event in my view is no longer the great one it was a few years ago and isn’t worth my time to drive across the GTA twice hauling a trailer especially since I can see and ride aSherman in other places.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 25-06-19, 20:36

Default Well said Jordan

Carefully thought out and reflects the current situation as I see it too. You make some great points. Thanks for putting them on paper.

Peter Simundson