MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 20-12-20, 18:13

I continue to be amazed by the detective skills of MLU members. In finding the story behind what otherwise might be simply a post-war photo of a damaged vehicle, you honour those who served. Thank you for your interest in my dad's photos. Jon
Old 20-12-20, 23:41

Hi Jakko.

I think it is two different Crabs, but very likely the same Regiment.

In the first photo, side view, the photographer is standing in a roadway leading up to where the Crab is sitting. Look at the chain link fence just above the drooping gun barrel. You can see the top of the fence stop at the point where a slightly lower gate is located. This Crab was moving along a road parallel to the fence when it hit a mine. You can see daylight and ripped metal under the front portion of the hull where the first suspension assembly used to be and the top of the 2nd suspension is almost flush with the ground following the blast. The upper front slope of the hull also seems to lack the expected lines of a normal hull. The armour plate is flowing all over the place to my eyes.

In the second rear view photo, there is no trace of a chain link fence to the right of the Crab. Also, a large tree is growing just to the left of the spare chain rack. In the first photo, that portion of the tank is in full view at the intersection of the two roads.

My thoughts are the first Crab was a fatal event for the crew. The second crew were probably a lot luckier.

David
Old 21-12-20, 11:02

In the second photo, the turret seems to be at a very odd angle, and the upper run of the track clearly slopes downward relative to the sponson bottom, which would be consistent with a missing suspension bogie. There also appears to be a road wheel lying just in front of and to the left of the tank.

I think what’s happened here is that the tank was blown up and then its tracks were removed by towing or pushing the tank forward off of them, which explains why it seems to be in a different location. In the photo from behind it’s right next to a tree, which isn’t in the side-on photo, but I would expect it to be just to the right out of shot there.
Old 21-12-20, 11:07
MLU Administrator

Default "W" on the hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wout Jansen View Post
After editing the photo, it produces this result. To the right of the hull is a W?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Wout, I only see the census number, a spare track link rack and a very faint star. Do you seen the "W" more towards the rear of the hull.....possibly part of the tanks nickname???
Quote:
If you put my edited photo on the hard drive, and you enlarge the image on your screen, I think you can clearly see a "W" on the hull. The number is also easier to read.
Wout, thanks for editing the photo.

But I cannot see anything legible in the area I outlined in red.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherman Crab Ede 1945-3_redlined.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	118381
Old 21-12-20, 11:27
MLU Administrator

Default "Bill Wyatts tank"

Quote:
Attached is a picture from WW2talk, courtesy of James Nightingale jnr.

"Bill Wyatts tank brewing up at Arnhem"

source: http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...y.13221/page-2

Judging from the bracket on the turret side this looks a lot like the same Crab as in Jon's picture. It's 1st Lothian and Border Yeomanry.
Alex, what can I say but

I only have a 1944 1LBY War Diary so will continue the search for info on operations in the Arnhem area in 1945.
Old 21-12-20, 11:29
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
I think it is two different Crabs, but very likely the same Regiment.

In the first photo, side view, the photographer is standing in a roadway leading up to where the Crab is sitting. Look at the chain link fence just above the drooping gun barrel. You can see the top of the fence stop at the point where a slightly lower gate is located. This Crab was moving along a road parallel to the fence when it hit a mine. You can see daylight and ripped metal under the front portion of the hull where the first suspension assembly used to be and the top of the 2nd suspension is almost flush with the ground following the blast. The upper front slope of the hull also seems to lack the expected lines of a normal hull. The armour plate is flowing all over the place to my eyes.

In the second rear view photo, there is no trace of a chain link fence to the right of the Crab. Also, a large tree is growing just to the left of the spare chain rack. In the first photo, that portion of the tank is in full view at the intersection of the two roads.

My thoughts are the first Crab was a fatal event for the crew. The second crew were probably a lot luckier.
David,

Don't take the location/ surroundings into account. This Crab was dragged from where it was knocked out to the short-lived museum at Ede.
Old 21-12-20, 13:47

Default Tank Ede.

Hanno,

sorry for the misunderstanding, but I see a letter W to the right of the turret (I think). A hull is different from a turret !!!! My mistake. I can't discover anything else.

Greetings, Wout
Old 21-12-20, 16:02
MLU Administrator

Quote:
sorry for the misunderstanding, but I see a letter W to the right of the turret (I think). A hull is different from a turret !!!! My mistake. I can't discover anything else.
Point it out with an arrow, please
I may be “kippig” (chicken eye sight) 😉
Old 21-12-20, 16:18

Hanno.

I think I see the “W” now on the side of the turret bustle that Wout is referencing.

David
Old 21-12-20, 17:51

Yes, I see it now that I am looking in the right place ! It does look to me though that it is rather crudely painted so possibly after the tank was knocked out ?

David
Old 21-12-20, 18:40
MLU Administrator

Now I see it! Like I said, chicken eyesight... Well spotted, Wout!

I don’t know what it means, but it is not part of the regular markings

Name:	C41B17B4-8BDB-4216-9188-D1E8F844FC18.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	118389
Old 21-12-20, 22:44

Quote:
I don’t know what it means, but it is not part of the regular markings
Aha.....well spotted. No nickname for sure...the "W" is a marking done by an REME/RCEME crew that denotes if a vehicle could be repaired or not. I seem to remember "W" was not to be repaired but used for parts/spares....."Write-off"

Alex
Old 21-12-20, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Alex, what can I say but

A quick check of the 1LBY War Diary did not yield any reference to these operations in the Arnhem area - will continue the search.
There are, I think, about 5 pics of Crabs in Velp in the archive, but no idea if they were there for a flailing operation or not.

Alex
Old 21-12-20, 23:14

Canadian Army Newsreel, No. 69 (1945) Shows the RCEME in action and marking a Sherman V as a write-off.

https://youtu.be/suWnMBJBLFU?t=207
Old 22-12-20, 11:22
MLU Administrator

Default More pictures

Quote:
Attached is a picture from WW2talk, courtesy of James Nightingale jnr.

"Bill Wyatts tank brewing up at Arnhem"

source: http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...y.13221/page-2

Judging from the bracket on the turret side this looks a lot like the same Crab as in Jon's picture. It's 1st Lothian and Border Yeomanry.
A cross posting to WW2Talk yielded more pictures of the Sherman Crab and the Panther tank!

It seems these were taken at a later date. The Sherman's turret seems to have been righted by then. Note the soldier sticking his head up from the RH sponson. The top plate seems to be peeled up and away by an internal explosion.

No further info on "Bill Wyatts tank brewing up at Arnhem" as of yet.

Name:	Crab M4 L1 (2).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	118404 Click image for larger version

Name:	Crab M4 L1 (1).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	118405

Name:	Panther yu.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	118406 Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther yu. b.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	118407
Old 22-12-20, 12:17

Quote:
A cross posting to WW2Talk yielded more pictures of the Sherman Crab and the Panther tank!
Wow, awesome. A big thanks to James for sharing these pictures!
Old 25-12-20, 19:44
(Michel Sabarly)

Default Ede Crab

On this tank, as often on burnt out / heavily weathered tanks, paint shades seem inverted, i.e. what were white outlines (of the turret number and tank name) have become darker than the body of the outlined digit/letter.

I read the first digit of the turret number as a 9, with the characteristic shape of 1 LOTHIANS turret numbers:

Name:	No.9x.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	118486

This means that the tank originally belonged to 4 Tp C Sqn, which initially comprised Crabs Nos. 90 to 94:

90? RED GAUNTLET
91? GREEN MANTIE
94 WANDERING WILLIE
92 ALAN FAIRFORD
93? COLIN CAMPBELL

The Ede Crab cannot be RED GAUNTLET, which was written off on 8 Aug 44, nor either ALAN FAIRFORD or COLIN CAMPBELL which had different stowage arrangements.

I also see a 'D' plus shades of letters compatible with No.94 WANDERING WILLIE:

Name:	Tk name.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	118487

Name:	No.94 Crab 'WANDERING WILLIE' 4 Tp C Sqn 1 LOTHIANS, 7 Aug 44, Athis Farm, Op TOTALIZE - Concord.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	118489

Maybe the 1945 War Diary for C Sqn could provide details on the loss of WANDERING WILLIE?

Finally, the T-number cannot be T148187 which was a Sherman V of 22 Cdn Armd Regt:

Name:	T-12727 - 0628 - '' A '' VEHICLES PREPARATORY CHART.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	762.3 KB
ID:	118488
I believe it is T148167, or possibly T148197.

Jon, could you scan this photo once more, at least the part with markings, in high resolution (600 or 1200 dpi), maybe tweaking the constrast to improve legibility of those markings?

Michel
Old 25-12-20, 22:41

Yes, I can easily believe T148167. However remember that all the Crabs were originally standard Sherman V gun tanks and retained the same 'T' number after conversion to Crabs so could appear in lists as either type depending on dates.

David
Old 26-12-20, 00:13
(Michel Sabarly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
Yes, I can easily believe T148167. However remember that all the Crabs were originally standard Sherman V gun tanks and retained the same 'T' number after conversion to Crabs so could appear in lists as either type depending on dates.

Quite true. I forgot to specify that the 22 CAR list dates from the same period (April-May 44) as the 1 LOTHIANS list of vehicle names, corresponding to the initial tanks (those with a turret number). So No.9x, whatever its name, is unlikely to have been a former 22 CAR tank.

Last edited by MicS; 26-12-20 at 11:24.
Old 26-12-20, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicS View Post

Jon, could you scan this photo once more, at least the part with markings, in high resolution (600 or 1200 dpi), maybe tweaking the constrast to improve legibility of those markings?

Michel
Yes, I will do my best to get a better scan in the next 2~3 days. Jon
Old 26-12-20, 18:16
MLU Administrator

Michel,

Good to get your input on this! Clearly it helps when you know what to look for to be able to ID additional clues.

Quote:
I read the first digit of the turret number as a 9, with the characteristic shape of 1 LOTHIANS turret numbers:

This means that the tank originally belonged to 4 Tp C Sqn, which initially comprised Crabs Nos. 90 to 94:
(...)
Finally, the T-number cannot be T148187 which was a Sherman V of 22 Cdn Armd Regt:
I believe it is T148167, or possibly T148197.
Old 26-12-20, 18:20
MLU Administrator

Default Tolbooth on WW2Talk forum

Quote:
Maybe the 1945 War Diary for C Sqn could provide details on the loss of WANDERING WILLIE?
Have you seen the analysis by "Tolbooth" over on WW2Talk?

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...-8#post-912505:

Quote:
I think this may be the incident. The Lothians A Squadron WD has this entry for the 17th Apr

"[A] Sqn, with C Sqn 141 RAC, assisted SWB and Gloucesters, Bennekon - Renkum. The birds had flown. Sgt Leishman's tk blown up on a mine and burnt out - four cas to personnel."

And this comes from the after action report of Lt Byth, 1 Tp A Sqn

" Tue 17 Apr 45. The Tp was to operate as a sort of roving column, clearing up villages on the left of the main area of advance, together with three Crocodiles and nine carriers. This force was called GUY FORCE. Progress was painfully slow because of numerous road blocks and ruins, but the task was successfully completed without any enemy opposition.

We reunited with the main body at Oosterbeck and pushed on, now leading on the main axis. Still the only opposition was ruins and road blocks. Finally we encountered a minefield, which had to be flogged. Sgt Leishman's tk blew up on two R-mines, with cas to his crew: Tpr Wyatt severely burnt; Tpr Deryck wounded in foot (later died of wounds); LCpl Roberts burns on hand; Tpr Chisholm sprained knee."

There don't appear to have been any other casualties around that period.
And http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...-8#post-912508:

Quote:
However....!

There is another tank knocked out on the 19th April nearby in the village of Eldik which is also west of Arnhem. this was from 1 Trp B Sqn, which was my dad's unit.

"Col Richardson of 1 Calgary Regt came over and requested assistance on behalf of one of his tps and a coy of Belgians, who were going to make a small local attack from the village of Eldikschenhock MR525707 [Today seems to be called Eldik]. The job was simply this: That the Belgians were afraid of Schumines in an area which was known to have A Tk mines in it, and requested our assistance to clear a path so that the Calgary's tks could get forward to sp them.

Capt E C Harley, Lt T R Stewart and Col Richardson went forward and made a recce, and later Lt Stewart went out with three Crabs to do the job. One tk, Cpl Edwards', was unfortunately blown up on an R mine and the following cas were incurred: Tpr Cardle J, head injuries and burns (died of wounds later); Tpr Smith C D, bruises and slight shock; Tpr Dempster A, burns and cuts to left arm.

Lt Stewart and Capt E C Harley, who were there, decided that 1Tp could do nothing further and the remaining tks came back and rejoined the Sqn in harbour. The tk itself was a Z cas (for a full account of this see Lt Stewart's report ).

Later in the afternoon Maj J D Henderson, Capt E C Harley and Sgt Gregory P all had a look at the tk and decided it was too big a job for the ARV, and assistance would be required from the Calgary Regt to get the Crab off the road.

No Schumines had been blown and the Belgian sappers then cleared the remaining R mines by hand."

Lt Stewart's action report has this too;

"On 20 Apr 45 we towed the damaged tk clear of the road junction and removed all the kit from it, as it was impossible to bring it back owing to the difficulty of getting it up onto the high dyke road."

It does sound as though this particular tank was not recoverable and may be the one that ended up at Ede, although the one on the 16th is closer.
Old 26-12-20, 21:15

Long time member but first time posting in a longer time. I have a photo of the memorial to the 1st Canadian Armoured Brigade at Ede but I have no idea how to post. If someone could steer me in the right direction. Thank you
Old 26-12-20, 21:35
MLU Administrator

Randall,

See http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...600#post190600 for posting pictures, give it a try. If it does not work, email me and I’ll post it here.
Old 26-12-20, 22:19

Many thanks, Hanno.

Hopefully this works. Photo was taken during one of my many tours of Canadian Battlefields. It is the Memorial at Ede of the 1st Canadian Arrmoured Brigade.

Name:	EDE  1st Canadian Armoured Brigade.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	882.3 KB
ID:	118524

Last edited by randall klein; 26-12-20 at 22:20. Reason: Typo
Old 26-12-20, 22:29

As requested by MicS, I have scanned at 600dpi, the highest resolution on my scanner, and applied some filtering to attempt clearer photos of the census number, turret and, possibly, the name "DERIN". I see the census number as T148167 I can't see a name nor reliably see a number or numbers on the turret. Jon

Name:  Ede Crab census number.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  55.9 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	Ede Crab turret.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	118527 Name:  Ede Crab census number  additional.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  17.3 KB
Old 27-12-20, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGrath View Post
I can't see a name nor reliably see a number or numbers on the turret.
I think it says “24” on the turret:

Name:	Ede Crab turret copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	118543

(Their poor alignment above is probably due to me missing parts of the numbers.)
Old 31-12-20, 15:18
(Michel Sabarly)

Definitely not No.94 WANDERING WILLIE as I suggested, which was T150569.

See New Sherman Crab?

It is clearly Sgt Leishman's Crab, destroyed on 17th April, and the same one as posted by Tolbooth on ww2talk and captioned as Bill Wyatt's tank:

Quote:
I think this may be the incident. The Lothians A Squadron WD has this entry for the 17th Apr

"[A] Sqn, with C Sqn 141 RAC, assisted SWB and Gloucesters, Bennekon - Renkum. The birds had flown. Sgt Leishman's tk blown up on a mine and burnt out - four cas to personnel."

And this comes from the after action report of Lt Byth, 1 Tp A Sqn

" Tue 17 Apr 45. The Tp was to operate as a sort of roving column, clearing up villages on the left of the main area of advance, together with three Crocodiles and nine carriers. This force was called GUY FORCE. Progress was painfully slow because of numerous road blocks and ruins, but the task was successfully completed without any enemy opposition.

We reunited with the main body at Oosterbeck and pushed on, now leading on the main axis. Still the only opposition was ruins and road blocks. Finally we encountered a minefield, which had to be flogged. Sgt Leishman's tk blew up on two R-mines, with cas to his crew: Tpr Wyatt severely burnt; Tpr Deryck wounded in foot (later died of wounds); LCpl Roberts burns on hand; Tpr Chisholm sprained knee."
As for its turret number, I tend to agree with Jakko that it might be 24, but am still at a loss regarding its name, which could then only be ROB ROY (or ROB ROY II or III) or RED DOUGLAS (more likely).

Last edited by MicS; 31-12-20 at 16:27.
Old 01-01-21, 22:27
MLU Administrator

Great input guys, one big step closer to IDíng this Sherman Crab
Old 02-01-21, 00:56

Seems to have been a lot of Crab wrecks in Holland.

https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/en/r...8-003048976d84

Last edited by m kenny; 02-01-21 at 01:01.