MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > Canadian Military Vehicle Organisations > Ontario Military Vehicle Association News

Notices

Old 24-02-11, 21:48

Hello Folks

There are plans in the making to have an Ottawa get together at the Prescott Hotel on Wednesday 02 March 2011, ( Famous for their square pizza and meatball subs) I think at 18:30 hrs but still waiting for confirmed details from the Ottawa Area OMVA co-ordinator.

Not all persons attending are OMVA, but all are welcome.

Thanks
Eric

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 25-02-11 at 09:13. Reason: double postings after thread merge
Old 25-02-11, 05:11
Terry Warner

Upstairs? Downstairs?

Yes Eric, I should be there with my son.

For the envious, this bar is a remnant of the days when taverns had separate mens and ladies entrances. Hard vinyl upholstered chairs and jeezly heavy arborite topped tables. Food was served in small crinkly bags or slimy straight from the vinegar jar. Draft beerglasses had an enamel line so the customer knew he was getting full value for his dime. Those who drank bottled beer were obviously rich; ounce for ounce draft was the fastest way to get a buzz.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 25-02-11, 20:09
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default 7 Ounce glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Upstairs? Downstairs?

Yes Eric, I should be there with my son.

For the envious, this bar is a remnant of the days when taverns had separate mens and ladies entrances. Hard vinyl upholstered chairs and jeezly heavy arborite topped tables. Food was served in small crinkly bags or slimy straight from the vinegar jar. Draft beerglasses had an enamel line so the customer knew he was getting full value for his dime. Those who drank bottled beer were obviously rich; ounce for ounce draft was the fastest way to get a buzz.
Terry..
In Alsask,Sask..,on the border of Sask and Alberta,(A Pine Tree line radar site)back in '64, women were not even allowed in the bar..and you had to take your hat off..and they served the draft..in 7 Ounce glasses ..by the tray full...and the obligatory "cheese sandwich"(You had to order food to drink,so the cheapest thing on the menu ,for .50 was the cheese sandwich)

But there were perks..
Sask was on standard time and the bar closed at midnight..BUT OYEN Alberta was only 6 miles across the border and with the time change at the border it was only 11 O'clock..so off we tore to the bar in Oyen for another 2 hours of revelry..it also closed at 1 o'clock..
No one ever got caught for drunk driving..there was no law in those days..or law enforcement..
It was the wild west..now long gone..
But at 18--19 it was magic....sneaking in the bar ..getting wasted and educated at the same time..
Oh wasted youth..sigh...
Old 25-02-11, 20:18
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Sask was on standard time and the bar closed at midnight..BUT OYEN Alberta was only 6 miles across the border and with the time change at the border it was only 11 O'clock..so off we tore to the bar in Oyen for another 2 hours of revelry..it also closed at 1 o'clock..
No one ever got caught for drunk driving..there was no law in those days..or law enforcement..
It was the wild west..now long gone..
But at 18--19 it was magic....sneaking in the bar ..getting wasted and educated at the same time..
Oh wasted youth..sigh...
Sounds like the treks from Sassys to the River Club. Ontario had the 1am "last call", and Quebec was 3am. Made the drive through Pembroke and over the Bridge worth it. Big difference was the OPP waiting on the "Home Side" after 3am. Good times.....
Old 25-02-11, 23:00
RIP

Quote:
Oh wasted youth..sigh...
Wadya mean 'wasted'? I learned a ton of things in taverns, some of which have stood me in good stead in later life. Things like; don't piss off the waiter or you don't get served, don't piss off the bartender or you get kicked out, don't drink so much that you puke or your buddies will find someone else to drink with, not every female you come across when your drunk is 'for rent' (and those that aren't have no sense of humour), when you flash a peace sign don't be surprised if the waiter brings you a pair of draft, when you see a vet in the corner drinking by himself offer to buy him a beer and ask if you can join him, if the bartender knows your name then you 'aren't' there when your significant other phones looking for you and, most importantly, when you find a good place that you want to consider as your 'local' then tip well and never complain.
Clive
Old 26-02-11, 17:54

Default more details from Mark

Wednesday night 02 March at 6:30pm at the renowned Ottawa Landmark - the Prescott Tavern & restaurant, the land of square pizza and meatball sandwhiches.

For those unfamiliar with the place, its a real gem, having been one of Ottawa's oldest bars (yes they used to have a separate ladies area years ago as women and men were not allowed to drink together, could lead to dancing and god knows what would happen from there) and is located at 379 Preston St. in the heart of Little Italy.

For more info on the place visit their website at http://www.theprescott.com/

See you there.

Mark
Old 28-02-11, 00:58

Default And don't forget..

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Wadya mean 'wasted'? I learned a ton of things in taverns, some of which have stood me in good stead in later life. Things like; don't piss off the waiter or you don't get served, don't piss off the bartender or you get kicked out, don't drink so much that you puke or your buddies will find someone else to drink with, not every female you come across when your drunk is 'for rent' (and those that aren't have no sense of humour), when you flash a peace sign don't be surprised if the waiter brings you a pair of draft, when you see a vet in the corner drinking by himself offer to buy him a beer and ask if you can join him, if the bartender knows your name then you 'aren't' there when your significant other phones looking for you and, most importantly, when you find a good place that you want to consider as your 'local' then tip well and never complain.
Clive
Clive..
And don't forget ..the more you drink....the better you..AND the women look..

And for sure..before you go to the head..hang your unit in your draft glass so your buddies won't drink it on you while you are having a whiz..
Old 28-02-11, 01:48
RIP

I will be in Halifax all of this week and unable to attend.
Clive
Old 28-02-11, 19:58

Default Oh Crap..!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I will be in Halifax all of this week and unable to attend.
Clive
Clive..
I can drive Rob around when I get home from INDY..
But we still have to have someone book Gracies..or we won't get a place..
Who will step into the breech and get this Thrash organized..??
I'm fine with any date..
Old 01-03-11, 01:26
Mr. HUP

Default Two Events

Quote:
Clive..
I can drive Rob around when I get home from INDY..
But we still have to have someone book Gracies..or we won't get a place..
Who will step into the breech and get this Thrash organized..??
I'm fine with any date..
Any thoughts about combining the two events (Gracies and OMVA)?
Old 01-03-11, 01:51

Default Mr.HUP..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Any thoughts about combining the two events (Gracies and OMVA)?
Rob,..
You want to be Mr HUP..???Well Fu*$%&*((^%&* HUP friggin to it and get this thrash organized ..and Gracies booked..!!
You'll never make Corporal sluffing off..Get it going ..We haven't had a bash in a while..
Contact Rob..get a phone number and where and when he will be here and I'll get it when I get back .

Here is the Phone Number and the info you need,,.

Phone:
613-842-0220
Email:
east@gracies.ca
http://www.gracies.ca/index.aspx?location=east
Address:
1151 Ogilvie Road
Ottawa, Ontario K1J 7P6
Canada
Old 01-03-11, 02:21
carrier mech

Alex
Am I the rob you speak of in your rantings above? I will be coming into town on the 6th, and staying until at least the 14th. Maybe even a day or two longer. If these two events were combined, I would be happy with that if it fell into the week I am there.
Old 01-03-11, 03:46
Mr. HUP

Default Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Alex
Am I the rob you speak of in your rantings above? I will be coming into town on the 6th, and staying until at least the 14th. Maybe even a day or two longer. If these two events were combined, I would be happy with that if it fell into the week I am there.
Hi Rob L, Rob C here...the OMVA meet is on the 2nd of March so the events won't coincide. Since you are the "guest of honour", you pick the night that you are available and we will all do our best to show you a good time at Gracies. Once the night is selected, I will book a spot at the Olgivie Road Gracies - our usual haunt.

Don't mind the rants - that's par for the course for the Rotters...Looking forward to the event.

R
Old 01-03-11, 04:07
carrier mech

Do you have a preference if it's in the middle of the week, or more towards the end. Quite frankly, pick a night and I'll be there. From the last time I was there ( a Friday), I recall Gracie's was pretty packed.
Old 01-03-11, 17:44

Default Ottawa MV Owners and those interested

If we have a date and time i will let the others know on Wed.

Thanks Eric
Old 02-03-11, 12:11

Default Right Rob

Quote:
Alex
Yes Rob..You are Da man..Will be glad to bring you to that evil hovel we all so enjoy..
I'm still in Indianapolis but will be home Sunday..I'll PM you my home address and give me a call from where ever you are hanging your hat..I Kanata at the same place I picked you up last year..??

Anyway I will pm you the details..
I see that Rob has picked up the gauntlet and is acting like an entertainment chairman should on behalf of the Ottawa ROTters ,,good lad that..I'll have to commend him on his actions..an unusual accolade that he rarely receives..
Old 02-03-11, 12:14

Default Well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Hi Rob L, Rob C here...the OMVA meet is on the 2nd of March so the events won't coincide. Since you are the "guest of honour", you pick the night that you are available and we will all do our best to show you a good time at Gracies. Once the night is selected, I will book a spot at the Olgivie Road Gracies - our usual haunt.

Don't mind the rants - that's par for the course for the Rotters...Looking forward to the event.

R
Thanks for picking up the slack Rob C ...
I'll get Rob L there when ever...Pick the date and try for 5:30pm..you KNOW..the big hand.......
Old 02-03-11, 15:21
carrier mech

Quote:
I'll PM you my home address and give me a call from where ever you are hanging your hat..I Kanata at the same place I picked you up last year..??
No such luck this time. We were put up in the Brookside hotel last time because of some scheduling conflict with the barracks in Connaught. As far as I know there is no conflict this time, so we will be in the spartan comfort of the military quarters and partaking of the messhall's culinary delights. Unlike the Brookside, I fear there will be no fresh squeezed orange juice with my poached eggs in the morning.

Still a couple days before I come out yet....do we have any P-med techs on the site who can condemn a barracks in the next 5 days? Or maybe an engineer with a zettelmeyer dozer? Ed?
Old 04-03-11, 01:41

Default Connaught Ranges

I like the barracks and enjoy the food at Connaught Ranges.
Old 04-03-11, 03:55
carrier mech

You're a die hard Ed.

Actually, I did have a meal there during the PDT last year and mess hall food certainly has taken a few steps up since the fried baloney days.

Got my instructions today: yep barracks with sleeping bags it is. I have rented a car for the week so at least I won't be "CBd".

Looking forward to getting back to KAF and getting away from this damned snow.
Old 04-03-11, 09:34

Default Rental..

Quote:
You're a die hard Ed.

Actually, I did have a meal there during the PDT last year and mess hall food certainly has taken a few steps up since the fried baloney days.

Got my instructions today: yep barracks with sleeping bags it is. I have rented a car for the week so at least I won't be "CBd".

Rob..
Still in INDY but heading North today..I'll bring some good weather back..
When ever you get settled and some of that fine army grub in you ..give me a call..I should be home afer Sunday..The rental gives you the freedom to do lots more than mope around the Barracks..and get out to Gracies...
Do we have a Gracies night booked yet..??any night is good for me..
Old 04-03-11, 12:54
carrier mech

Alex
By the schedule I got, Thursday and Saturday are no good. All other nights should work.
Old 04-03-11, 14:02

Default Off

Quote:
Alex
By the schedule I got, Thursday and Saturday are no good. All other nights should work.
Rob.

Just leaving INDY..
Any night is good for me..Rob will do the booking but he better do it today..or we'll be sucking hind tit out in the parking lot.
Later
Alex
Old 05-03-11, 02:31

Quote:
What snow? If the forecasts are good... 50 mm rain due in the next day or so.... it should be mainly slop by the end of the weekend, and then the slop will freeze.
Old 05-03-11, 03:13
carrier mech

Steady highs of -12 here, and lows of -20 or lower. Snow is 4 feet and higher in the garden. Wife had to dig to find the compost container again today. Fortunately, we did have a couple days of warmth so the top of the snow has frozen enough to support a person. Makes snowblowing impossible though.

Scheduled temp when I get to KAF middle of the week following is a high of 29 and a low of 14 with some showers to keep the dust down.

http://www.accuweather.com/forecast....NDAHAR&week=15
Old 05-03-11, 04:54

Default Connaught Barracks vs KAF

The barracks in Connaught are slightly better than the BATS in KAF and the food is on par with institutional fair. At least you can get beer in Connaught.