MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 14-08-05, 04:59
Dave Demorrow

Default drivers sight

hi, i have a question about a MK I carrier i just got. it has a small stamped sheet metal sight bolted on top of the drivers armor plate just in front of his sight window. the carrier was made in 42 and looks like it was a Boys ATG carrier. thanks again.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 14-08-05, 15:19
GM Fox I

Default Sight

You've got it right, it is a pointer so the driver can keep going in the right direction. I also think you'll find your 42' is not a Boys carrier, but that all Mk.1* carriers were fitted with mounts for the Boys (for storage in the rear left, and provision to fire it through the slot in the front left. The only production differences in Canadian Mk.I* carriers was that the very early ones had a crowbar bracket on the front plate, Lucas style head lamps and a horn. These also had a heavy brass data plate on the front right fender. In early '43 (late '42?) the rubber firing rests were replaced with wood, the bin for the Bren loading tool on the wireless battery box was ommitted and rubber straps were replaced with tan web ones. Many carriers in Canada that appear to be Mk.1* are really Mk.II Mortar carriers that were converted back to 'infanty' configuration post war. The quick way to tell is to look for rivets filling holes that should mount Mk.1* brackets.
Old 18-08-05, 01:06
Dave Demorrow

here is a pic of it
Attached Thumbnails
pict0525.jpg  
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 18-08-05, 02:38
carrier mech

Both my carrier and one that Brad Mills picked up recently don't have this sight. There are rivets filling the holes. Seems to me I saw somewhere that this sight was a retrofit on the early carriers. Seems odd that they would put the holes there which serve no other purpose, then fill them with rivets.
Brad's hull is a very early one while my lower hull is around the 2200 serial range.
Any mk1s that I have seen from around the 8000 and up all had this sight.

As Bruce said, although every standard mk1 carrier had the provisions to carry the Boyes rifle, there was only 1 Boyes per carrier platoon. The rest had just a Bren (and a spare if there were any available).

I just got my Boyes a couple weeks ago. Still have to find the center and rear stowage brackets.