MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-07-17, 17:51

Default 19-Set Wooden Transit Chest

This interesting item has just popped up on eBay under the following Item Number:

Back in the late 1970's or early 1980's I had a look at one of these for sale in North Winnipeg. It had a complete 19-Set Mk III Cdn inside, with a Control Box on the left and a Satchel Signals tucked in at the right hand side full of all the usual bits. The owner was asking $150.00 for it, which at the time I thought was way too high for the market, so I passed on it.

What intrigued me about it at the time was the construction of the chest, which had fittings like a Bren Gun Chest, how the front panel swung down to form a desk and that everything was there ready to go if you hooked a battery or chorehorse up to the set. It didn't strike me at the time as being a standard 19-Set shipping item, but more of a specialized, ready to go, self contained kit. I had no real idea what sort of specialized situations it had been intended for, and had quite forgotten about it until seeing this advert this morning.

Anyone know how they were used? Was it a kit used by all Commonwealth forces? Are there more than just Canadian made units out there?

David