MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 16-01-12, 01:32

Default Great music to restore by!!!!

Check out this link, it plays in my shop all day...The Barmaid at the Rose and Crown is one of my favorites. Cheers Rob

http://www.1940sukradio.co.uk/
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 16-01-12, 12:09
Tony Baker

Thumbs up Period Ambiance

Rob,

I'm with you!

I love the music of the 1940s. I play it often. I also play some of the WWII news reports and speeches, in my workshop while I am working. Sometimes I even stop to listen better. As you say, great to restore by! Helps to keep motivation up, as well as increase the knowledge. Sometimes I wonder what my Father would have been thinking as he heard of the more critical developments while he was serving in New Guinea. He was in an infantry battalion and was (ironically) also a driver/mechanic on CMPs.
Name:  eisenhower.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  11.7 KB
Some of the news reports are VERY inspiring. Favorite of mine is a broadcast from Gen Eisenhower which starts with "People of western europe.....". It was broadcast in the days following D-Day. Imagine being the recipient of that broadcast, knowing your liberation was nearing. Gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	in_Paris_to_celebrate_the_Japanese_surrender.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	46354
Disks of WWII news can be bought from ebay VERY cheaply. I got some from U.K and also U.S.A. Don't think any were over $10.00 AUD, plus postage of roughly $5.00 AUD.

I would heartily recommend these. By closest tally, I believe I have approx 500-600hrs of broadcasts, including all of the BBC broadcasts of June 6, 1944. They are split into one hour sections for easy management.

Do yourselves a favor, get em & listen for yourself!
Name:  29-46 japan surrenders.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  46.3 KB
The last photo is of my Father (standing with arms up) with other men of his battalion, at time they first heard of the Japanese surrender.
God rest his soul.
Lest We Forget

P.S: Notice what is in the background of the last photo. Keith Webb spotted it immediately when I posted this pic once before. Hawke Eye!

Last edited by Private_collector; 16-01-12 at 12:16. Reason: ADDIT
Old 16-01-12, 16:41
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default more OTR

here's a couple of military themed music sites. You can download and make your own CDs.

http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/html/sub/mshws.htm

http://www.lzcenter.com/Vietnam%20Wa...a%20Music.html
Old 16-01-12, 17:18

Default Yup puts you in the mood

Hi Rob & Bruce

Good sites, have already added them to my favorite bar so I can find them easy.

And thanks for giving me a new topic for our local MV Club newsletter people will get a kick out of them. Have already put the topic in the cue for stories and will add the links to our Newsletter Extra web link page.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 16-01-12, 18:56

Default They are including CBC news broadcast and annoucements

Been listening to http://www.1940sukradio.co.uk/ in the background for the last hour and they are including CBC announcements in their broadcast. Just ran the PSA about the housing shortage for war production.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 17-01-12, 00:33

Default Great Music............

If you had told me two years ago that I would be playing 30s and 40 s records I would have told you ***It's not going to happen.***

Well it did. I purchased a 1912 phonograph at auction and then went on to have the innards reworked and the cabinet refinished.

I now posess approx. 1000 records from the 1920s and on to about 1955. They are all 78 rpm.

I have spent quite a bit of time at the Perley Rideau Veteran's Hospital in Ottawa, and playing the old records to the vets is probably one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

Some of the old guys can't give you their wive's names..... but they will name every song I play and sing along with it....

There are some great songs and music out there.
Old 17-01-12, 01:31

Default Way to go Guy!!!...

I can't imagine how much those seniors are appreciating you and those great classics. I am not a 78 collector but I have a couple. One of my favorites is a bit of a rarity, the RAF fundraiser recording of BBC Charles Gardner doing a live broadcast of a dogfight over the channel/Dover.

A question for you Dutch guys here. Who was that young attractive Dutch girl who sung your native songs over the BBC during the war? Post a U-Tube link here if she is on there.

Yes Phil, it gets you in the mood.

Cheers Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 17-01-12, 05:39
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Fast View Post
One of my favorites is a bit of a rarity, the RAF fundraiser recording of BBC Charles Gardner doing a live broadcast of a dogfight over the channel/Dover.

Cheers Rob
Items like this are as important to save as vehicles, uniforms, etc. They are a real slice of history.

I've managed to find two records myself. First is a 78 by the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada recorded in Vancouver in the 1950s and the second is an album called the "Last Post" by the Royal Canadian Artillery Band recorded in 1968. The band thought they were going to be disbanded (no pun) and produced a limited edition LP. There is even a hand written note inside by a CWO J. Davies.

First thing I did was to digitize them in case of an oops.
Old 17-01-12, 08:21

Default Lads!!!

What a great thread. Many many thanks Rob for posting that link.

Love the 40's music and I agree.... magnificent to swing a spanner to..
Old 17-01-12, 13:04
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Back to the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Fast View Post
Check out this link, it plays in my shop all day...The Barmaid at the Rose and Crown is one of my favorites. Cheers Rob

http://www.1940sukradio.co.uk/
Hi Rob

Thanks for posting that terrific site, I just can't get enough of it. Good to hear good music that you can understand the words too and make you feel good.

Cheers

Tony
Old 17-01-12, 15:40

Default Listened to 40s UK for 12 hours did not find the end of the loop

Hi

After the http://www.1940sukradio.co.uk/ link was first posted I put it on as background music while working on stuff on the computer, had it on for 12 hours and never heard a repeat. So the group who are doing this have must have a very large collection or access to a large collection. Doubt they are DJing live so they must have a very long loop. In short a job well done.

About the 78 recordings, I collected the recording gear, disk recorders, which use the 78 recordings, that go with my BBC recording HUP. Now that you mention your collection 78s and broadcasts if anybody ever finds a BBC recording of General Eisenhower's New York City Victory Parade June 19, 1945 please record it and get in touch with me. I know my truck covered that parade to record it. If you want the rest of that story see http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/BEASTHISTORY.html . This makes me think I should contact 40sUK group to see if they might know where to find it. Tried the BBC archives in London a couple of times but so far it has not turned up.

About general collecting of 78 recording, now that you mention it I will have to check to see if my parents collection of records have survived.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 17-01-12, 20:00

Default 78 rpm records

I think Bob opened up a really juicy can of worms with this 40s music.

As previously stated, I have some 1000 78 records. I have screened all of them. I have taken out the obvious hits. Then again..... I am asked for special records by the seniors. It is then I find out that they were the biggest hits of their time.

I was heading out one nite with an armful of records to play at a senior's res. In my haste, I dropped one record which fractured into a 100 pieces on the cement floor. The song" Put All Your Trouble in Your Old Kit Bag...*** a 1915 recording.....my holy grail..... smashed.... such is life.

Two songs that get everyone's attention:
**Ive got a lovely bunch of Coconuts**
and
**The Ballad of Davy Crockett....**

I was at Lee's Mills in New Hampshire and I was playing **THERE IS A STAR SPANGLED BANNER FLYING SOMEWHERE** by the beach. An old veteran came walking up with his cane.... stoopped over and listened to the song. He then stepped back and exclaimed...** I HEARD THIS SONG FOR THE FIRST TIME WHEN I WAS SHIPPED OUT OVERSEAS...** He then started dancing right there and then....

I can't get enough of this music...