MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 10-02-12, 04:02
beagle

Default surplus army vehicles

On the Crown assets dispoal web site is a notice of the upcoming sale of over3 million kilograms of surplus vehicles including all of the m113 fleet.

all vehicles must be destroyed.

actual request for quotes the second week of march.
Old 10-02-12, 04:38
Terry Warner

Default scrap

Why did you just make me throw up?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 10-02-12, 06:06
RC Sigs

Just sad!!!
M-37 52-30890
M-220 CDN 53-
Iltis 85-87789
LSVW Trailer 2910-1210
M-100 CDN
M-101 CDN2
Chev 5/4 76-
OMVA MVPA AVMQ CAFA CAFL
Old 10-02-12, 08:38

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 10-02-12, 10:56
Blitzed

just stupid.
Old 10-02-12, 13:56

Isn't it the Yanks who are requiring this? Some sort of Defence materiel cooperation treaty, either you scrap the M113 or you don't get any more US defence materiel cooperation or equipment.

You know a cash for clunkers scheme, if the US can get countries with servicable US made equipment to crush it instead of selling it, the US can sell more stuff from the US military industrial complex.

What we need is to set up a shell company to take the M113 scrapping contract, take delivery of the buckets, and start surveying the machines to plan the destruction process, spend lots of money and go bankrupt. Then the receiver comes in and to try to recover the debts the reciever has to sell the assets, the buckets, to us as the highest bidders. The company that took the contract from Crown no longer exists and can not be held responsible.

Last edited by Dianaa; 10-02-12 at 14:05.
Old 10-02-12, 15:40
Mr. HUP

Default Dream on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianaa View Post
... and go bankrupt. Then the receiver comes in and to try to recover the debts the reciever has to sell the assets, the buckets, to us as the highest bidders. The company that took the contract from Crown no longer exists and can not be held responsible.
The Cdn government retains all rights, ownership and responsibility until the disposed object is destroyed in accordance with related agreements and policies. You may not like what is happening but that is the way it is.

This was covered in detail in another thread.
Old 10-02-12, 16:11

We need a flogging dead horse icon.
Old 10-02-12, 16:14

Default Actually a lot of complaining south of Canada also about surplus system

Hi All

This whole topic of the how and what will be surplus here in the States has been drawing a lot of comment in our MV Club. In that given the current rules or practices much in the way spare parts is being scrapped instead of sold.

The big concern in our club is that the smaller MVs ones which would be practical for someone starting in the hobby are drying up. With only the larger true military vehicles coming through. With only the occasional smaller sized like the odd Pinzgauer slipping through. The concern is that in a few years only the lightly militarized version of basically civilian trucks will be the only thing we will see.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 10-02-12, 20:16
Frankencarrier owner

Here's the posting:

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...1&sf=ferm-clos

And the language:

Quote:
Closed Bidding

Item:3,100,509.0000 kg(s) of M113 Demilitarization and Scrap Metal Sales Upcoming requirement requiring mandatory Controlled Goods Registration (CGR) certification - Register now!

Note that no bids will be accepted for this posting, as it is just to provide information on the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) mandatory requirement. *Bid$: (per kg(s) ) By clicking on "Enter Bid" I agree to the Terms and Conditions for this Sale.
*Please note that on Period Contracts you may place a bid with up to 4 digits after the decimal (e.g.:$1.0001)

Information
Item: M113 Demilitarization and Scrap Metal Sales

Note that no bids will be accepted for this posting, as it is just to provide information on the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) mandatory requirement. Closing Date: 25-February-2012 @ 11:05 a.m. EASTERN TIME Remaining: 14 days 20 hours 52 minutes Deposit Required: $0.01 Quantity: 3100509 (kg(s) ) Description: M113 Demilitarization and Scrap Metal Sales

Note that no bids will be accepted for this posting, as it is just to provide information on the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) mandatory requirement.

We have an upcoming requirement where the bid solicitation will include controlled goods information or technology and the bidder will have to be certified, exempt or excluded under the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) before receiving the bid solicitation, attend the bidders conference, and the successful bidder issued a contract. If you are interested in the requirement, visit the following website to obtain registration details and forms http://ssi-iss.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/dmc...strtn-eng.html. Note that it takes at least 45 days following submission of all required duly completed documents to the CGP Office, to obtain the certification under the Controlled Goods Program.

Furthermore, please contact the following Crown Assets Distribution Sales Representatives to obtain an email to be submitted to the CGP Office along with your Justification for Registration.

Eric.Vanasse@pwgsc.gc.ca or
Raymond.Touchette @pwgsc.gc.ca

Brief Summary of Requirement:
The requirement is for the demilitarization of the Department of National Defence (DND) surplused M548A1, M113A2, M577A2 vehicle fleet and additional components and subcomponents, and the sale of approximately 3,075,059 kg of scrap. It is anticipated that the listing will be posted on the GCSurplus website on March 14, 2012 with a bidders' conference on April 11, 2012 and a closing date for submitting a bid of April 20, 2012.

These vehicles will be destroyed and subject to specific CTAT and ITAR certificate requirements for each vehicle, components and spare parts as required. The scrap metal generated by the demilitarization will be sold by the kilogram. This requirement includes the removal of canvases, plastics, batteries, spall liner removal or shredding, grease removal from track tensioners, the emptying of fire extinguishers of CO2 and the removal of any other items not compatible with the disposal of metal and a danger to the environment. The requirement also includes drainage of all liquids, petroleum products prior to scraping metal by crushing or shredding.

Photo on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M113_ar...sonnel_carrier

Estimated weight of scrap metal by type.
Aluminum and alloy scrap (v53434828), 2,170,356 Kgs (70%)
Iron and steel scrap (v53434811), 465,076 Kgs (15%)
Non-Ferrous metal scrap (v53434827), 77,513 Kgs (2.5%)
Copper and copper alloy scrap (v53434829), 77,513 Kgs (2.5%)
Waste material, 310,051 Kgs (10%)

M113 Demilitarization and Scrap Metal Sales

Note that no bids will be accepted for this posting, as it is just to provide information on the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) mandatory requirement.

Images There are no images for this lot/itemClauses There are no Special Clauses for this lot/itemLocation of Asset(s): .
. , QC
819-956-7235
raymond.touchette@tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca
Sales Rep: ERIC VANASSE
514-283-9898
Eric.Vanasse@tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca
Payment and Removal: PAYMENTS - The Purchaser agrees to make any payment requested by the Minister within 1 calendar days from the date of such request and prior to removal of any of the property.

REMOVAL - The Purchaser, upon acceptance of this offer by the Minister and after payment in full has been received by the Minister, shall at his expense, pack, load and remove the property by the date indicated on the Bill of Sale or, if no date is shown, within 0 calendar days after the date the Bill of Sale is issued. Sale Account: K1MO003016
Old 10-02-12, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
The Cdn government retains all rights, ownership and responsibility until the disposed object is destroyed in accordance with related agreements and policies. You may not like what is happening but that is the way it is.....
You're such a spoil sport!

Here was I thinking we had a foolproof plan, even if we only saved a few, the MRV gate guard in Wagga is starting to look more attractive.
Old 11-02-12, 05:08
Tony VAN RHODA

Default What the cost

Hi All

If the purchase of surplus to needs military equipment and vehicles around the world dry up wouldn't that make our restored vehicles more rare and valuable.

Cheers

Tony
Old 11-02-12, 13:11
carrier mech

Yes it would make them more valuable, however, there has to be entry level stuff for the 16 year old kid in order to make him a life long military vehicle collector (addict). Most young people can't afford to toss $10K to 50K onto something that will not attract the fairer sex.

As well, most guys want something that either has to do with their service career or maybe something their Dad drove in the war. Just as model Ts and 57 chevys have fallen out of favor to the muscle cars of the 60s and early 70s, many of the military vehicles will follow the same pattern. The one exception of course is the Jeep, which remains timeless.
Old 11-02-12, 23:09
carrier mech

Reread my post carefully: It says something about attracting the fairer sex. Jeep-yes, Iltis-no. The Iltis is just too ugly. Might as well be trying to pick up chicks with a cab 11.
Old 12-02-12, 04:58
Dave Good

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Reread my post carefully: It says something about attracting the fairer sex. Jeep-yes, Iltis-no. The Iltis is just too ugly. Might as well be trying to pick up chicks with a cab 11.
This is getting interesting
Old 12-02-12, 05:07

Default Watch it.....

What is wrong with a cab 11......?

...or is it what is right with a cab 11....???? all I can think of is that it was an improvement on some of the open cabs the Brits had.....

....its cozy and very intimate......

I had an American tell me when I showed him a picture of a cab 11...... "it is so butt ugly it's almost come around to being cute...!!!!

Bob
Canada
Old 12-02-12, 14:31
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Rob Love is absolutely correct.

Point- three summers ago, parked iltis in front of bar downtown Montreal while friend and i sat at outdoor tables a few yards away.

for about 45 minutes, every single male (99.99%) gawked at jeep, zero females looked or even noticed, unless it was to yank male partner away or notice his head was turned looking at something....100% males.. ZERO females.

Seems the only kind of MVs one will get in the future will come from ex-soviet manufacture..and even then cost will be a huge impediment..(along with lots of paperwork)

The hobby may die out, and with so many non-collectors using the iltis as an expendable dune buggy, there may a number of those wrecked in the near future, and if not wrecked, in need of major repair, with a very limited parts supply of certain Iltis specific parts. Seems to me a decreasing number of young people are interested in messing around with greasy rusty auto repair...and there are no computers to re-configure on these old things...
Old 12-02-12, 15:26
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Chicks in Cab 11...Bruce P of this forum, as a young subaltern, took a date to Casa Loma for a Regimental function in one. Worked for him!
Old 12-02-12, 15:42
Mr. HUP

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Chicks in Cab 11...Bruce P of this forum, as a young subaltern, took a date to Casa Loma for a Regimental function in one. Worked for him!
Was she riding up front or in the back?
Old 12-02-12, 17:24
carrier mech

Quote:
Was she riding up front or in the back?
Not often will a response on an internet forum make me laugh to the point of tears in my eyes, but this was one of them.

Edited to add: on writing the response, I read it again and it made me laugh again. I am averting my eyes this time and watching the keyboard.
Old 12-02-12, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
.... It looks like we have a healthy interest locally in Ottawa. I think last year we had a tremendous turn out of various MIL collectors. Lots of Cold War stuff, which is the easiest to get running. That is a good place to start. I think we have a good core group that encourages participation in the hobby.

Cheers!
Stuart
well OK with the group at the S&P museum and a handful of others like a few iltis jeep owners..but realistically what`s the average age of owners at that event? 45-50?

not many 18-20yr olds..... as like long (!) ago when we were that age and mucking about with old cars. Yes there are some young owners of these jeeps, but realistically they picked them up for 2-5000$ as bushwackers, not because there was an interest in the heritage or restoration..and I fear those particular jeeps ( of an already small nuber avaiilable) will be fairly beaten up in a mere couple of years.

the fact is there are more people exiting the hobby than entering, and its getting harder to enter ( finding restorable MVs), and more expensive..

even the Iltis wasn`t originally supposed to be released to the pubic, and we only have them kind of by accident.

I enjoy it sure, but as an example I have a 20yr son who doesnt even have a licence and is not even interested in learning to drive
(is he my son???)
Old 13-02-12, 00:00

Default Not so unusual......

,,,,,,,when I was 24 all I wanted was a 67 Chev with a 327.....at that time Princess Auto was selling CMP 15cwt practically new for $699...... I would not have been caught dead in a 90 HP 4x4 that could only go 45 mph......

When my son was the same age he bought a M43 anfd fixed it up..... then got a girl friend and got married.... she hates that Green thing.... he never drove it again....... it sits in the back field.

There are today a "click" of young guys souping up little rice burners just like we played with Ford V8.... have a look at the news stand,,,,, next to the 4 or 5 copies of Muscle cars magazine are 20 different mags about after market parts for "rice burners"...and other 4x4 ATV... in fact in most major car show focused on the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s ( which have displaced the 57 Chev crowds) they now accept souped up Hondas as a means of increasing the gate profits.

Open roadsters have been repalced by the 57 Chevs who have been replaced by the Mustangs, Cobras, Camero, Pontiac screaming chicken and now being displaced by the lowered, souped up, computer chip modified little Jappy imports.

As the demographics change so does the interest...... the military vehicle hobby is fading away due to a lack of marketable suitable size army vehicles to replace the WW II and the Cold War era......

The issue has been noticed and a number of articles written in both muscle cars mags and Military vehicle publications.....apparently no solutions is evident.

Now I sure wished I had bought one of those Princess Auto cmps or even a Weasel they were selling for $1000.

We may be a dying breed....

Bob
Canada
Old 13-02-12, 04:11

Dying yes but not dead!
I will not go down without a fight and...did you ever notice that most young guys drive the 4 door version of what ever jappy crap they own...? Even the German stuff...? 4 doors!
There was nothing and still is nothing worse for me than a four door anything unless it has one hell of a large weapon mounted somewhere on it!
Old 13-02-12, 09:17
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianaa View Post
Isn't it the Yanks who are requiring this? Some sort of Defence materiel cooperation treaty, either you scrap the M113 or you don't get any more US defence materiel cooperation or equipment.
Quote:
The Cdn government retains all rights, ownership and responsibility until the disposed object is destroyed in accordance with related agreements and policies. You may not like what is happening but that is the way it is.
The Dutch Government has never sold armoured vehicles to private individuals, either ex-MDAP supplies or those procured with our own tax money.

E.g., surplus ex-Canadian M113 C&R are in private hands, the ex-Dutch ones are being shot up on the ranges and/or have been scrapped.

H.
Old 13-02-12, 09:29
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Montgomery View Post
The hobby may die out, and with so many non-collectors using the iltis as an expendable dune buggy, there may a number of those wrecked in the near future, and if not wrecked, in need of major repair, with a very limited parts supply of certain Iltis specific parts. Seems to me a decreasing number of young people are interested in messing around with greasy rusty auto repair...and there are no computers to re-configure on these old things...
Isn't that why ex-military vehicles are bought by the public? All I see are jeeps and trucks bought for fun off-roading, building site & farm yard hack, snow plow, etc? Try to find a barn find MB or GPW which at one time has not been converted into a snow plow, overpainted in a bright colour, extra lights and wide tyres added, etc.

It is only after a certain time elapses and a certain type of vehicle disappears from the street, when people start collecting and restoring them. This probably concurs with the phase in their life when they have an expendable income and spare time on their hands.

H.
Old 14-02-12, 04:00

Bob has a point, but there is an important difference..in the 1950s to say 70s, we were often working on old cars to tidy them up, or simply keep them running, if lucky restore them or modify them--

nowadays younger folks messing with the rice-burners do not deal with body work, or 'old' rice burners to fix up or restore ( seems kinda funny to even consider restoring a 4 door mazda or civic)

and besides, who back in the day would even consider messing with a 4-door , Now they mostly replace the plastic moulded bumpers, add plastic spoilers to rear and sides, replace the hoods sometimes... buy mag wheels---note Im talking about average guys..not like in the magazines...which if you remember back in the day, we generally had no access to the kinds of shops, or equipment, or money to do the stuff shown in magazine either !

Theres also not a lot of messing with the engine...now its reconfiguring the computer, and adding a loud exhaust ..personally I think the 'car' hobby is much much different now than back even 2o yrs ago.

I agree with Hanno to an extent...ex MVs were usually bought as cheaper- allegedly tougher- work vehicles...how many gas statioins in my youth had beat-up jeeps - or maybe m-37, with a snow plough attachment..and as a very local service vehicle (boost batteries),,,often also bought by hunters for the hunting camps..ive seen a few of those in my time.

Cant say a lot of jeeps etc were ever bought as bushwacking dune buggies., but thats certainly whats happening to a lot of the iltis jeeps.

do agree that originally very little thought given to preserving them as heritage vehicles...maybe that mostly started around the 70s? ...as time allowed a step back and people started to see them as momentos of a very particular time worth preserving and as they were becoming less common

I do recall, in looking for an MV back about 20 years ago at the absolute beginning of my interest in the hobby and before I knew many people at all, I came across a barn full- literally- of maybe 12-15 MBs and GPWs in the GTA... there were a few very good parts vehicles, and an equal number of very restorable ones...(actually now, I would say with enough money, they were all restorable) the deal offered...take em all, but give me one back fully restored... aieeeee.... I had nowhere to take them , no way to take them, no place to begin a major restoration..and passed em up... as I was looking for a fairly complete and very easy jeep resto..

I have no idea where it even was now, nor whatever happened to them.. I do not recall anyone else ever mentioning this 'stash'..which would be an amazing find now...and even at the time had i known..or known anybody in the hobbby...... being a total newbie, I didnt realize the rarity of the find at the time... Did they get scrapped????
Old 14-02-12, 04:32
Mr. HUP

Default Death of a Hobby?

It may be a little early to pronounce the demise of our hobby, but there are signs of its impending appointment with obscurity. Behold the asking price for this tidbit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M113A...item4162777068
Old 14-02-12, 04:49

Plus who knew we'd have this...the internet to talk to this many people at once. This is why the art of restoring surplus vehicles has gone through the roof ...re the ad on Ebay for the M113!!! It looks very nice but it will not sell in that depressed economy unless it tickles the fancy of someone who has the disposible income to buy it. I too remember the old gas sations that had an M37 for a tow truck slash wrecker. The windows usually broken out and it was never locked! Now never mind there are no wreckers...there are fewer gas staions now than ever!
This is a hobby if you will, equivalent to owning a boat. Yes it would be nice to own a boat that never needed servicng or work done to the engine or weathering for winter storage or the spring time warmup...the batteries boosted, the fuel cleaned and preserved...wait that's what we do! The internet has made it possible for so many more persons to get into the hobby that the old word of mouth that led you to that holy grail of finds is no longer as prevelent. Anyone can go and find a vehicle and buy one now IF they have the means. Thus there will be fewer vehicles to find now. The vehicles we now own will be like the war birds of the by gone era and be transferred from hand to hand unless they are wrecked for parts or destroyed by accidents and slowly they too will fade to museums that can scaresely afford to open the doors...A V Roe in Ontario?
Well I guess when I have had enough of this I hopefully will be able to sell my things to someone like us who actually gives a damn about the past and the furture as well.
Forums like this help to preserve the hobby and the vehicles we do know about...there are more out there...like treasure waiting to be discovered! So Like Clive Cussler says...
" Get up off the couch and go and search for the hidden Treasure!" hahaha
There's my two bits worth with change to boot!
Old 14-02-12, 10:51

Default Disposal

Basically the handfull of M113s that are in private hands are the only ones that we will see on the market.
There won't be any new ones.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..
Old 14-02-12, 11:12

Default Itar

Google ITAR. This may shed some light (or darkness & confusion) on it all.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..